Hooking up AxeFx to 59 Bassman?

speedy

Hi folks.

I have considered many possible paths in regarding buying/setting up an AxeFx:

power amp/cab
FRFR system
running into the fx loop of an amp, etc.

For my purposes, I think the most convenient set-up for me, will be to simply use the AxeFx for its effects in conjunction with the 59 Bassman clone that I'm having built right now.

Here is my question:

Would I NEED to have an fx loop in my amp to run the AxeFx, or, since the Bassman has 4 different inputs, could I simply run the AxeFx into the amp somehow that way?

I could call my builder and tell him to add an fx loop (for $250 extra), but if it is unnecessary and the tone won't be affected, then I'll leave the amp as is.

Folks who have a 59 Bassman do all sorts of stuff in regard to running fx into the inputs in a certain configuration, but I am a noob to that, as I've never previously owned a one channel amp.

Your thoughts regarding this would be much appreciated!

(In case you guys are wondering why I wouldn't just want a wedge, or powered monitors-- the Bassman is my Holy Grail clean tone, nothing I've ever heard comes close. I'm really just wanting the AxeFx to simplify things, so I don't need to carry around 3 delay pedals, a chorus pedal, a compressor, a noise gate, a distortion pedal, etc.)

It's less than ideal but you can run the Axe in front of the amp and run effects that way.
No amp sims, no cabs, no poweramp sim.
You have to be careful about levels: your amp expects instrument level.
You'll probably use drive blocks for distortion, so you'll be able to use most effect types (before and after drive).

You can add a fx loop to your amp but it will limit the use of certain effects. Unless you use the 4 cable method, but that often has issues.

Thanks Yek for the reply.

So what limitations would there be on FX whether or not I used an fx loop?

Here is how I would set up my rig, very simply:

1. Use the Bassman's clean tone, for ONE PATCH adding chorus and echo/delay/compressor for
my main clean tone.
2. Add-in a distortion with echo/delay for ONE PATCH for my main distortion tone.

That's it!

I don't use flange, phaser, shimmers, nothing other than what I listed. The Axe may be overkill for my needs, but it sure would be easier to have the Axe in a case on top of my amp, than a bunch of pedals in front of me.

Also, the Axe would be great for recording direct.

So using my rig as shown above, if I chose to use an fx loop, how would I be potentially limited in creating my patches?

Thanks for your input!

Hi again,

I just happened to see a link in your sig box showing how to connect the AxeFx, and other cool wiki info.

It seems there is an issue with the 4cm and hum (although some folks have been able to eliminate it.)

It seems the potential issue has to do with, as you said, the line level input vs what the Axe Fx puts out?

If I could use the Axe in an fx loop without noise, that would be great, but maybe that is not possible? I shall try to research this some more....

I know that the AxeFx wasn't meant to be simply a preamp used in an fx loop, but I sure hope that would work for me, as it would make things much more simple!

Regarding the hum and line level issue.

1. Your bassman should have an input 2 that attenuates for line level. I simply plug in a guitar in input one, then plug through an Axefx into input 2 and match the volume. Not sure if there's anything else to it.

2. The hum was an issue I had as well, but I fixed it by accident =). I had a HumX from ebtech lying around and randomly tried plugging the amp through the ebtech and I get zero hum. I found absolutely no use for the HumX before - it's a 3 prong wall adapter. I tried it on the Axefx and it didn't do anything, but plugging the amp through it killed the hum. It's about $60 online. The topic has been discussed at length on other threads, but I have never heard of anyone else doing what I did.

hey speedy,
i've found the same thing as you and am currently running my axe fx into my port city pearl amp. it sounds fantastic! i tried a bunch of fr's and i also tried the axe into a power amp section of a boogie mark IV into a 2x12 cabinet and nothing comes close (to me) to running it as an effects unit into a great sounding, tube amp. you don't need to use an effects loop- the axe sounds great running into the main input. the axe fx will effect the overall eq so you will need to adjust the global eq to match the bypassed sound. you should also experiment with stacking 2 overdrive pedals for your gain tone. the pedals themselves sound ok but you can really get some amazing od/distorted tones by running 2 pedals at once. i'm really hoping that cliff adds a few more overdrive pedals in the next firmware upgrade. it would be nice for those of us who are using our axe fx's in front of clean sounding amps.

Thanks guys for the replies.

After reading a number of threads, I was starting to get worried about using the AxeFx in front of, or in the fx loop of an amp...so many guys were having problems with that.

But as you guys have said, there are fixes for the noise/hiss problem.

Well, I am very glad to hear that my idea will be workable!

I appreciate your time in sharing your experiences with me.

Only 3 more weeks until I can order! (payday)

:)

jb70 said:
hey speedy,
i've found the same thing as you and am currently running my axe fx into my port city pearl amp. it sounds fantastic! i tried a bunch of fr's and i also tried the axe into a power amp section of a boogie mark IV into a 2x12 cabinet and nothing comes close (to me) to running it as an effects unit into a great sounding, tube amp. you don't need to use an effects loop- the axe sounds great running into the main input. the axe fx will effect the overall eq so you will need to adjust the global eq to match the bypassed sound. you should also experiment with stacking 2 overdrive pedals for your gain tone. the pedals themselves sound ok but you can really get some amazing od/distorted tones by running 2 pedals at once. i'm really hoping that cliff adds a few more overdrive pedals in the next firmware upgrade. it would be nice for those of us who are using our axe fx's in front of clean sounding amps.

I'm thinking of getting the same setup you have. I think I read that the owner of Port City also runs amp or PA sims in front of his Pearl, have you tried that?

What do you mean it will effect the overall eq? Inside the Axe unit adjust the global eq?

I'm aiming for a real compressed OD tone that will be from pedals within the Axe in front of a clean setting on the Pearl. I want a really round compressed shred tone, but also keeping the gain down and keeping it clean at the same time.
This type of tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UssnEG ... ed#t=4m42s

Do you think the Pearl w/Axe Fx can produce this? Or should I look at other amps or FRFR?

QuadAllegory said:

I'm thinking of getting the same setup you have. I think I read that the owner of Port City also runs amp or PA sims in front of his Pearl, have you tried that?

What do you mean it will effect the overall eq? Inside the Axe unit adjust the global eq?

I'm aiming for a real compressed OD tone that will be from pedals within the Axe in front of a clean setting on the Pearl. I want a really round compressed shred tone, but also keeping the gain down and keeping it clean at the same time.

Do you think the Pearl w/Axe Fx can produce this? Or should I look at other amps or FRFR?

i have tried using the amp sims along with the pearl briefly but, to me, it sounds better without them.

if you run the axe fx in front of the amp it will change the eq of the amp. so you want to go into the global eq in the axe and set it so it matches the bypassed sound.

you can get that kind of lead tone by stacking 2 drive pedals and using a compressor in the axe fx. to me, this port city/axe fx setup is the best sounding solution- much better than frfr

jb70 said:
QuadAllegory said:

i have tried using the amp sims along with the pearl briefly but, to me, it sounds better without them.

if you run the axe fx in front of the amp it will change the eq of the amp. so you want to go into the global eq in the axe and set it so it matches the bypassed sound.

you can get that kind of lead tone by stacking 2 drive pedals and using a compressor in the axe fx. to me, this port city/axe fx setup is the best sounding solution- much better than frfr
Thanks for the info man!

Is it very hard to match the global eq (Do I need an Ultra, or will a Standard do fine)? Also, with this setup (Axe-Fx>Pearl) will I be able to pretty much play all styles of music (i.e. go from soft cleans to heavy metal and still sound good)?

I was thinking of getting the Twelve instead as I don't need much wattage for a home practice setup. Do you imagine that might work ok instead of the Pearl?

it was actually pretty easy to eq the axe fx. i can send you my eq settings if you'd like. both the ultra and the standard have the same global eq.

i can get everything from squeeky clean to slightly broken up (ala srv) to hard rock (ala van halen) to all-out metal (ala metallica) without ever using the amp or cab sims. like i said, to me, most of the pedals sound average to decent on their own but the magic happens once you start stacking them and adjusting the eq and mix levels. it will be much easier to get the desired tones as cliff adds more drive pedals. the only way i could mimic my barber small fry and direct drive pedals was to combine 2 drive blocks together.

i haven't tried the twelve yet but i was actually thinking about picking up a combo for small jazz and restaurant gigs. the pearl stays clean almost all the way up where the twelve is going to break up much earlier. if you're trying to get clean tones at moderate volumes i would stick with the pearl. daniel created the pearl specifically to be used with pedals and axe fx's.

Back
Top Bottom