Hooking Art SLA 2 with Axe FX

LJHood

How do you guys set up the Axe Fx with the Art SLA 2 particularly when the Axe Fx excels at stereo effects? This post assumes you are using a single cabinet.

For example, is there a way to run the R and L output 1 of the Axe into the Art SLA2 and then the Art SLA2 into a single cabinet? Sorry for the lame questions as I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

If you've got a stereo cab, sure! If not, you'll have to sum your L and R signals together or copy L=>R via the i/o menu.

rdomain said:
If not, you'll have to sum your L and R signals together or copy L=>R via the i/o menu.

I will have the same exact setup shortly.. (Axe-FX->ART SLA2->Single Cab). I am also a newbie. Is it necessary to do the above if the ART is setup in Mono (bridged) mode anyway?

Only if you're using stereo fx or cabs otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I find L=>R copy option the best if you do have a stereo patch. The summing option tends to cause phase issues at times.

iohanr said:
rdomain said:
If not, you'll have to sum your L and R signals together or copy L=>R via the i/o menu.

I will have the same exact setup shortly.. (Axe-FX->ART SLA2->Single Cab). I am also a newbie. Is it necessary to do the above if the ART is setup in Mono (bridged) mode anyway?

+1
I cant afford Atomic FR so i need to shoot the Art SLA2! :)

rdomain said:
Only if you're using stereo fx or cabs otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I find L=>R copy option the best if you do have a stereo patch. The summing option tends to cause phase issues at times.

Could you please post how did you connected Sla with AFX?

Btw i got mine today didnt knew its gonna be that heavy.

Well when I run stereo, I set the AxeFX to stereo mode and hook up everything in stereo. Makes sense? When i'm running mono, I'll only use one side of the SLA2 (turn down the side you're not using) and run a single out of the AxeFX into the active side of the SLA2. In the AxeFX, set the output option to copy L=>R and you should be good to go.

rdomain said:
Well when I run stereo, I set the AxeFX to stereo mode and hook up everything in stereo. Makes sense? When i'm running mono, I'll only use one side of the SLA2 (turn down the side you're not using) and run a single out of the AxeFX into the active side of the SLA2. In the AxeFX, set the output option to copy L=>R and you should be good to go.

When your running mono why not run the SLA bridged and go for the extra head room?

Because I'm lazy and can't be arsed messing about with the cable connections. :lol: If they were standard quarter inch, definitely! I find there's plenty of juice with guitar. Running a bass rig starts to hit the limits of the amp but I still get away with not running monoblock.... just!

Is there a connector which you can fit to the end of the speaker cables which will allow quick patching with the amp? eg. Speakon, banana, I've never really dealt with these connections before so I'm not sure. I'm just running naked wire hence the 'can't be bothered' attitude to monblock :cool:

rdomain said:
Because I'm lazy and can't be arsed messing about with the cable connections. :lol: If they were standard quarter inch, definitely! I find there's plenty of juice with guitar. Running a bass rig starts to hit the limits of the amp but I still get away with not running monoblock.... just!

Is there a connector which you can fit to the end of the speaker cables which will allow quick patching with the amp? eg. Speakon, banana, I've never really dealt with these connections before so I'm not sure. I'm just running naked wire hence the 'can't be bothered' attitude to monblock :cool:

Right here...
http://www.audio-depot.com/index.php?ma ... rrency=USD

It's a tough call. The 2:90 has different modes but I usually just ran it with Deep engaged. With some AxeFX tweaks, I can pretty much get that effect. SLA2 possibly a tighter sound? The Mesa possibly a bit nicer harmonically but the AxeFX is so darn good it's hard to tell. I didn't get to A/B them but I was happy enough to sell the 2:90 and still be stoked with my rig. Volume for guitar is not an issue, heaps lighter and a heap of cash in my pocket. No regrets :cool:

I'm flooding this forum with requests to see how you guys got your sla connected to cab. Please post the photo so i can see it and have an idea how to do it myself. :oops:

Cheers

sickindian said:
I'm flooding this forum with requests to see how you guys got your sla connected to cab. Please post the photo so i can see it and have an idea how to do it myself. :oops:

Cheers

I'll take a picture when I get a chance, but I connected mine like this:

Axe-Fx Outputs 1&2 --> XLR cables --> ART SLA-2 Left and right inputs.
ART SLA-2 bridged mono --> Monster Banana-to-1/4 cable (with banana plugs horizontal on top row ) --> Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabinet

AxeFx is currently set to mono, so even though I have an XLR cable plugged in to Output 2 (and corresponding Right Input on ART), it is not active. I just hooked it up this way in case I get access to use another cab and run stereo.

iohanr said:
sickindian said:

Cheers

ART SLA-2 bridged mono --> Monster Banana-to-1/4 cable (with banana plugs horizontal on top row ) --> Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabinet

AxeFx is currently set to mono, so even though I have an XLR cable plugged in to Output 2 (and corresponding Right Input on ART), it is not active. I just hooked it up this way in case I get access to use another cab and run stereo.

That's exactly how I would want to do it! Definitely want to see that pic, thanks iohanr! :)

iohanr said:
sickindian said:

Cheers

We want pics we want pics!! :)

sickindian said:
We want pics we want pics!! :)

Here you go...

rack-front.jpg

rack-back.jpg

rack-cab.jpg

Whenever I want to use the Roadster head, I just unplug the cable coming from the ART and plug in the one coming from the Roadster.

FYI... this is the Monster cable that I use for connecting the ART to the Cabinet:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S100S10MT

S100S10MT-large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom