Hooked up the new Axe-Fx... Trouble Inside

nvcreations

Ok I spent about an hour last night fumbling around with my new axe-fx. My setup is as follows:

Axe-fx -> Carvin DCM150 -> Mesa 2x12 Vertical cab (mark series, mono)

I turned it on, and it sounds like I have a blanket over the cab. First I wondered if it was just the amp sim I was running ( II+c) so I messed with the treble and presense and while it made a slight difference, it still sounded like a blanket was over the cab. I wondered if it was just because I was playing to low, so I cranked it up to window shaking volume and no help... I made sure the cab sim was off, messed with the treble/presence, and still cant get a "crisp" sound.

Any advice as to what I could be doing wrong? Do I need a stereo cab, or to get both outputs to a single out?

Thanks in advance!

Dont know what to suggest.

I run AXE to ART sla-1 TO VHT 2x12, so pretty similar.

Mine sounds almost too crisp at times.

the 11+c is a "thick" sound though. also I presume its a patch you've created? if not then do one from scratch.

Make sure the Cab sim is off in global.

Make sure the Power Amp sim is on.

Make sure your sag is at least 2.0. If its at 0, it disables the amp sim.

Make sure your input is set correct, i.e. red LED comes on occasionally when playing hard.

Make sure your going into the front input, and thats selected in I/O

If that doesnt help, Im sure someone better than me will chime in.

A few things:

1. RTFM - save yourself a lot of headaches and read it - twice - maybe three times

2. Start with a blank preset. Add an amp only since you're using a guitar cab. Dial in a good sound. Build from there.

D

Check your global settings first and make sure all your connections are right. If everything is right, try a different amp model and see if you have the same problem.

It may just be a matter of dialing in the particular amp, but it sounds like you've got something set up wrong.

D

Thats what I am thinking (setup) because I did run a few other amp sims along the way. I will tweak some more when I get home from work :cry:

Keep on tweaking !

Using a similar setup to the one the you are using, Ultra>QSC PLX1104>Stereo ported 2x12 cab, I'd like to share my humble experience as a relatively new AxeFx Ultra user.

The first time i plugged in i got mixed feelings about my purchase. To my ears, some presets where good, some others where just blahh....
Then i connected the Ultra to my Audio/Midi interface via SPDIF and listened to all the presets again with a relatively good sets of headphone .... and i was blown away with some of the presets !

After getting more familiar with some of the functionalities and possibilities of the AxeFx, i started to build my own presets starting from scratch or from others patches and it was only then that i found myself almost speechless qualifying the extraordinary array of sounds, textures and ambiences that this piece of equipment is capable of, going direct or to a ss poweramp/guitar cab combo.

So again, again and .... again .... RTFM, read it once more, and then some .... Refer to the Wiki, play with the AxeFx, listen and study other users patches at Axechange and be creative with the one you develop ... you will then be in for quite an advanture on the AxeFx !

So i would say use your brain, but ultimately your ears .... if using cab sims with your guitar cab sounds good, why not ! Some users do, some don't.

In my case most patches i use have cab sims on, sometime with a graphic and/or parametric EQ, and it works very well for me.
To each his own i guess,

So Keep on Tweakin'

Claude

Thanks for the encouragement claude! I played some more last night and was beyond underwhelmed at most presets. I then started a few fresh patches, and then got some insane results! Sadly I had to head out for other engagements but I think I am just going to have throw out all the presets and start from scratch.... good bye social life!

nvcreations said:
Thanks for the encouragement claude! I played some more last night and was beyond underwhelmed at most presets. I then started a few fresh patches, and then got some insane results! Sadly I had to head out for other engagements but I think I am just going to have throw out all the presets and start from scratch.... good bye social life!

Make sure that your Input 1 volume is turned up until it lights the red light occasionally with your hardest playing, with most guitars this will be around 2:00 - 3:00. I'd also suggest turning cab sims off globally since you're running through a guitar cab. And take a look at your Global EQ settings, make sure they're flat to start with.

I actually got that sound with the power amp sim off. Take it off & see what happens.

I couldn't get enough volume with it on (I didn't tweak it enough, but I didn't like it w/the power amp sim on)

I'm using a SS power amp into a 4x12 cab.

nvcreations said:
Ok I spent about an hour last night fumbling around with my new axe-fx. My setup is as follows:

Axe-fx -> Carvin DCM150 -> Mesa 2x12 Vertical cab (mark series, mono)

I turned it on, and it sounds like I have a blanket over the cab. First I wondered if it was just the amp sim I was running ( II+c) so I messed with the treble and presense and while it made a slight difference, it still sounded like a blanket was over the cab. I wondered if it was just because I was playing to low, so I cranked it up to window shaking volume and no help... I made sure the cab sim was off, messed with the treble/presence, and still cant get a "crisp" sound.

Any advice as to what I could be doing wrong? Do I need a stereo cab, or to get both outputs to a single out?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using the "EQ expand" switch on the DCM150? It is kind of a generic mid-scoop and bass and treble boost switch. I prefer the tone with this switch ON, however I find that it scoops the sound a bit TOO much. I use the Global EQ on the Axe-FX output to compensate for the over-scooping and add some mids back in primarily around 1k. You might also have to cut bass slightly unless you're a big metal-head.

With the EQ expand switch OFF, I had similar results to what you describe. It was too mid heavy and sounded very muffled.

It would be interesting to compare how the DCM150 with EQ expand switch on and off compares to the ART SLA-2 or another similar solid-state poweramp. I have not had a chance to do this.

nvcreations said:
I turned it on, and it sounds like I have a blanket over the cab.

This is not a complaint heard very often so I'm sure it's something simple. To reinforce checking the global settings in particular have you checked what input the Axe is set to?

Back
Top Bottom