Honoring Les Paul

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I was watching a program on PBS. Jeff Beck and friends honor Les Paul. The band is top shelf, and the songs of Les Paul remain great works and still rock. There is Jeff Beck and then there are mortals. He is playing with slap echo and that's it. Captures the Les Paul vibe dead on. If you get a chance to see it, the program is outstanding. The endless PBS sales pitches notwithstanding, the program is great. There is only one Jeff Beck, and he is smokin' in this video.

Yep- saw that same band on tour when they came through Austin a number of months back. Beck is an absolute master...
There's a DVD available that's worth purchase. Some cool extras, etc.

I saw a tribute to less paul in the intimate CBS studios at Rockefeller center here in NYC years ago, circa... 1990??? Les Paul played, lots of guests played, then the guy sitting next to me with the uber-hot blonde got up to play. it was Peter Frampton, and he played duets with Les, lovingly, reverentially, and with incredible depth of technique and knowledge. I realized that I had a jaundiced view of Frampton that had nothing to do with reality - this guy KNEW all the old stuff! It was a great experience, and a rare one. I still cannot remember how I scored tix - there were maybe 200 people all told in that grand old studio.

then the guy sitting next to me with the uber-hot blonde got up to play. it was Peter Frampton, and he played duets with Les, lovingly, reverentially, and with incredible depth of technique and knowledge. I realized that I had a jaundiced view of Frampton that had nothing to do with reality - this guy KNEW all the old stuff!

I turned on the TV one night a few years ago and caught Frampton and the band doing a song on a late night talk show. I knew who Peter was and what his hits were, but I'd never been into him. That performance changed my perspective. I saw a guy play who loved music. It was as simple as that. Fame & glory were not the motivation. It was about the joy of playing. I've been following him and playing his albums ever since.

Great story!

Terry.

It's great - have the Blu-Ray of it. Was lucky enough to go see Les at the Iridium in NYC about 10 years ago - very cool show.

There is a live Les Paul tribute every Monday night at the Iridium in NYC, in fact I was there last night to see it.

They play four Les Paul songs before the guest artist, which last night was Steve Stevens, comes out to perform.

Catching a show at the Iridium is at the top of my 'must do' list. I missed out on several planned trips to see Les and never got the chance to before he passed.

Back
Top Bottom