Homemade 9V Power Out for pedals on FM3

Here is another Homemade Mod I did to use FasLink 12V output on FM3 to supply 9v power to a couple of pedals:
It's built into an XLR plug:
This one does not require to open up FM3.

I used this mini DC-DC converter from Amazon.:
View attachment 77762

Set it up for 9V
View attachment 77763

And incorporate it into an older Neutrik XLR Male plug that I recycled:
View attachment 77764
I had to modify (by snipping off) the white plastic strain relieves to accommodate the module:
View attachment 77765
Next I connected the wires for input and output:
XLR male Plug: Pin 1 is negative (Ground) connects to the Module GND. - Black wire
Pin 2 is +12V connects to Module IN+ - Yellow wire

The VO+ is the output. it connect from the Module to the sleeve of DC output jack. - Red wire
The GND is the negative. it connect for the Module to the centre pin of the DC output jack. - Black wire
View attachment 77768
Some isolation:View attachment 77769

View attachment 77770and it'd done!
View attachment 77771View attachment 77773It works!
View attachment 77774
From one DIY’er to another, this is a most outstanding gadget. Perfectly thought through and executed. My hat is off to you, sir!!

I used a DC-DC 3-40V LM2596 Adjustable Step-Down Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator which I tapped into the FM3's 15V Power supply output wires, then adjusted the voltage to 9V. Installed the board on an existing brass standoff inside FM3 using isolated washer. and connected to a DC Power Supply Jack Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5X2.1mm - wired centre negative (accepts standard Boss pedal jack)

The FM3 Power Supply has enough overhead power to handle this. The FM3 Uses less than 15W, I think. The FM3 Power Supply is rated at 40W.

This DC-DC board can reliably handle up to 2A (it's rated at 3A max - not recommended!) My recommendation is 500mA @9V, It is "stealing" approximately 4.5W from FM3 which I think is a reasonable amount to keep the FM3 and the DC-DC board happy.

Here it is working:
Tuesday at 12:39 AM

View attachment 72158

View attachment 72159
Hey Jaza I just tried this and now my FM3 smoked and wont turn on.

Can you give me your phone number we need to talk immediately.

Just kidding bro.

But…..but….the Klon Centaur…. 😉
I kinda get the feeling one of the many drives has to be 99percent spot on to the Klon.

Like... "timmy3" or "princeoftone" emulation...

I dunno lot o klon vibes in the drives whether they are supposed to be anything like that circuit or not...

wait... do you have a klon?

13 years ago or so nels cline told me I should buy one. Shouldve listened back then!

Thanks @jaza69 - I made an XLR to 9V cable today and it’s works great for powering pedals. Thanks for sharing the information on how to do it. Much appreciated!

@jski59 - I’m powering a Shure GLXD-16 with the XLR to 9V cable and can confirm that there is noise in the audio line. The noise is quite bad - I don’t think I’ll use the cable to power the wireless receiver.
The solution. After converting 12V to 9V. To eliminate the noise introduced to a wireless unit use Joyo JP-06 Power Noise Blocker ZGP. Works with my Sennheiser XSW-D PEDALBOARD SET.

JP-06 Power Noise Blocker ZGP.jpg

Love this thread! I made an XLR to 9v adapter with the Drok converter mentioned and it's powering my wireless/enzo/midi baby combo with no noticeable noise. I'll be hacking it into the case when my warranty runs out!

Love this thread! I made an XLR to 9v adapter with the Drok converter mentioned and it's powering my wireless/enzo/midi baby combo with no noticeable noise. I'll be hacking it into the case when my warranty runs out!

Awesome! Glad it worked. An official cable would be great - maybe something for Fractal to consider? ;)

So far - so good! I'm powering a Digitech Drop with this custom cable and it works super well.
Weekly rehearsals and concerts without any issues.

Is there a way to test that full size USB connection on the FM3 to see if it's putting out any power? Thinking about things like a Morningstar MC6 which you can run with a USB C connect. Wonder if that (currently unused) USB port on the FM3 has any power coming from it??

The USB port is not providing any power - there is already a wish thread to enable the USB power - please feel free to add your vote!
Would be great to have additional power without having the need to solder a custom cable.

The USB port is not providing any power - there is already a wish thread to enable the USB power - please feel free to add your vote!
Would be great to have additional power without having the need to solder a custom cable.
Thanks for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom