Holy moly, that was LOUD

FarleyUK

Inspired
Had 2 gigs over the weekend, with my 2 bands - Friday night was normal volume, out 1 on the AX8 about 55%, going direct to dual DXR10's with their volume set to -6 on both.

Saturday night, however, had me needing to run the AX8 at 100% output and the 2 DXR10's at 0.... and my word it was loud!

Sounded great though - vids are just uploading now.

However, I was slightly concerned that I had no further headroom if I needed it - looks like I'll have to go back to my patches for band 2 and increase the output for each patch....

Make sure, your not clipping the AX8 output - that sounds bad :)

But DAMN - 2 DXR10s at full swing that must have been ridiculously loud.

Make sure, your not clipping the AX8 output - that sounds bad :)

But DAMN - 2 DXR10s at full swing that must have been ridiculously loud.

Yeah, certainly wasn't clipping anything - I set all the volumes for every patch before the gig using a meter in a DAW, so I know it was OK. Just pretty scary when you're running everything full-on!

Here's a clip.... just installed new pickups in the Les Paul the day before as well (Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells), using a JCM 800 #34...

Letting the audience determine noise levels is akin to letting a 5 year old determine a healthy diet.

Proper sound level meter is a much better way to determine safe sound levels. Even the $0.99 ones work pretty well

Though as I’ve said before, a big part of my business is hearing aids, so loud gigs are essentially job security for me.....

Letting the audience determine noise levels is akin to letting a 5 year old determine a healthy diet.

Proper sound level meter is a much better way to determine safe sound levels. Even the $0.99 ones work pretty well

Though as I’ve said before, a big part of my business is hearing aids, so loud gigs are essentially job security for me.....

Thanks, but the drummer determines the sound level at all our gigs. We also all wear ear protection (which I would advise EVERY gigging muso to do - no excuses!).

A bit off topic, but since I went Fractal from tube amps, 5 years ago, my ears never ring anymore. Although my wife claims I can't hear shit. What?!?!?
I think every wife claims that. They come equipped with a CHS gene right out of the box.

Had 2 gigs over the weekend, with my 2 bands - Friday night was normal volume, out 1 on the AX8 about 55%, going direct to dual DXR10's with their volume set to -6 on both.

Saturday night, however, had me needing to run the AX8 at 100% output and the 2 DXR10's at 0.... and my word it was loud!

Sounded great though - vids are just uploading now.

However, I was slightly concerned that I had no further headroom if I needed it - looks like I'll have to go back to my patches for band 2 and increase the output for each patch....

I've tested my DXR out at around +2 or +3 (between 2oclock & 3oclock) and I didn't hear that much coloration in the tone but it was considerably louder than AX8 at 100% and DXR at 0 (noon). But then again it was so friggin loud that I could've easily never noticed it. And it goes to +10 ..... if you're absolutely insane. Let us know how that sounds when you get out of the hospital.

Are the DXR's your monitors or FOH? Cuz you could run out 1 to FOH and out 2 to monitors. . .

Sounded great, and love that tune!

Are the DXR's your monitors or FOH? Cuz you could run out 1 to FOH and out 2 to monitors. . .

Sounded great, and love that tune!

Cheers! I use them both as backline - this particular band only has the 3 of us, so we have one DXR and one bass cab either side of the drummer to give it a fuller sound.

I got our drummer to use rods instead of sticks at small venues. He prefers the nylon ones, since they last longer. Rods cost more, and don't last as long as sticks are his only gripes.

I asked if they make it harder to play drums, but he said the opposite - they bounce back more easily, and the drums still sound good to me!

Dang! I have DXR’s as well. I’ve never had my rig turned up that loud. I’m paranoid about volume, though. I have slight tinitus from loud tube amps. I hadn’t been playing very long when the ringing started, so I caught it early and boy am I careful now. I wear IEMs on stage and ear plugs to any event I attended. I have no intention of my hearing failing before I do (God willing).

One of the bands I used to play with was stupid loud. I remember playing with the stage monitor distorting so badly that I couldn’t even tell if anything I was playing/singing was in tune. The lead for the band used to always eq and mix everything really treble heavy. I don’t think he realized that he was losing his hearing. Your top end is what goes first.

I had an Ampeg VT-22 and my best friend (who played with us) was in a wheelchair. I ice-picked him to death - poor guy. The Ampeg was pretty brutal and as loud as a Marshall stack.

Back
Top Bottom