Holy FRFR speakers Batman!

Chrose1201

Inspired
Holy Crapoli!! So I finally got them. I am, of course, new to the whole Fractal FM3 thang and am learning, trying etc. I started trying to build some rudimentary presets first using my Friedman DS40 as my power amp and my Carvin 212 with Celestion GT12 speakers. The presets sounded ok, not great, still got a ways to go. But then I got my PS170 and only used the Carvin speaker cab and the presets sounded different but still ok. Well I just had my cabs built. A pair of 112's with the Celestion F12-X200 speakers and holy shit do my presets sound like so much dog poo!! They sound rather fizzy and echo'y. The built in presets sound fine. But boy oh boysee, it's back to the drawing board for me!! I see that the FRFR speakers make a HUGE difference. I can't wait to adjust my "presets" and see how it goes!
329785652_1882800868729115_843229016048726818_n.jpg

Make sure you have your cabinet modeling turned on in your global settings when using the FRFR speakers or they will sound very fizzy. Also make sure that you do have a cab in your presets that you made.

Make sure you have your cabinet modeling turned on in your global settings when using the FRFR speakers or they will sound very fizzy. Also make sure that you do have a cab in your presets that you made.
Power amp modeling is on and Cabinet modeling is Active. I do have a cabinets modeled in the presets as well. Last night while I was setting them up I had the volume on the PS170 at around 2 and it seemed good. I just turned it up to 4 to hear it closer to stage volume and I didn't like it. I have just a little Reverb on it but it still sounds a bit fizzy and kind of flat. Maybe I just need to get used to the sound of FRFR?

Both the factory and my presets are fizz and echo free through my Xitone cab so it's not the sound of FRFR. I think you just need to dial in your presets.

It definitely does take some getting used too and trial and error with different IR's for your cabs. I preferred traditional amp/cab with cabinet modeling off for many years. I recently got a few presets to sound good FRFR and I like both methods. Your Cab IR is a huge part of the sound.
You can spend a lot of time trying different IR's to narrow it down to a few that you actually like.

It definitely does take some getting used too and trial and error with different IR's for your cabs. I preferred traditional amp/cab with cabinet modeling off for many years. I recently got a few presets to sound good FRFR and I like both methods. Your Cab IR is a huge part of the sound.
You can spend a lot of time trying different IR's to narrow it down to a few that you actually like.
What I have been doing is attempting to be true to the original artist. For instance Allman Bros. I do Dickies parts and back then he used 100W Marshalls with what I assume are 412 cabs. I don't have his tone stack specs so I run them pretty generically with a bit more treble than bass. When I turn down the volume it cleans up nicely, but the drive part is kind of rough, not smooth like Dickie. I have the Master vol. at about 8 and the preset leveling to just over the red line. For LaGrange I saw that Billy G. used a Marshall 100W Super Lead and so I found one in the amp section and paired that with a Marshall 412 cab with Greenbacks. Tone stack pretty even across the board. The amp preset does not have a reverb section so I added a medium plate at a very low setting, but even still it has an odd tone to it, but then so did he! The MV for that is at 10, and again the preset leveling is just at barely clipping, but what I seem to be finding is that at higher (but not crazy) volumes I really don't feel the air, or tone that the air gives. It all seems pretty in your face. So far nothing warm and creamy. But, they are FRFR speakers so I feel like that's what I am getting is what I would get if I cranked up the stereo. Again I fully admit it may well be the operator, not the equipment. I just don't know yet. But sometimes I feel like I just got a drivers license but I want to race at Daytona. Know what I mean?

Last edited:
Isn't that funny. I am taking Cooper Carter's FM3 classes and the next session speaks to exactly this situation! I can't wait to try it!

What I have been doing is attempting to be true to the original artist. For instance Allman Bros. I do Dickies parts and back then he used 100W Marshalls with what I assume are 412 cabs. I don't have his tone stack specs so I run them pretty generically with a bit more treble than bass. When I turn down the volume it cleans up nicely, but the drive part is kind of rough, not smooth like Dickie. I have the Master vol. at about 8 and the preset leveling to just over the red line. For LaGrange I saw that Billy G. used a Marshall 100W Super Lead and so I found one in the amp section and paired that with a Marshall 412 cab with Greenbacks. Tone stack pretty even across the board. The amp preset does not have a reverb section so I added a medium plate at a very low setting, but even still it has an odd tone to it, but then so did he! The MV for that is at 10, and again the preset leveling is just at barely clipping, but what I seem to be finding is that at higher (but not crazy) volumes I really don't feel the air, or tone that the air gives. It all seems pretty in your face. So far nothing warm and creamy. But, they are FRFR speakers so I feel like that's what I am getting is what I would get if I cranked up the stereo. Again I fully admit it may well be the operator, not the equipment. I just don't know yet. But sometimes I feel like I just got a drivers license but I want to race at Daytona. Know what I mean?
Don't let yourself be limited by trying to copy original artists' rigs too closely. There are too many variables at play. Let your ears be your guide.

Back
Top Bottom