Hmm...new cables...

Dixiethedog

Experienced
I feel totally confused with myself.

I have never really been 100% happy with any of my sounds with my AX8. Over time I have gone from using a combo amp to 2 combo amps, then to some inexpensive s/h studio monitors, and then to brand new ADAM T5V's. There has always been something not quite right with the sound. No amount of adjusting high cuts or lows could take away the "sound" I was hearing.

So, in a bit of a last-ditch attempt, I figured that I should look to buy a s/h FM3 or similar depending on the £/$. Yesterday, I was the highest bidder on a s/h AXE FX3 on the auction site (the price was much higher than any FM3s that were for sale) but still a price that could have been a good deal. And a miracle if I had "won" it. Could have as I have been outbid. :) (Which is OK for now).

Just to go back a few days, in readiness for a potential "new to me" Fractal purchase I ordered some new cables for the monitor set up and new guitar leads as my usual were past their best. Usually, I have been using a standard guitar jack to XLR for the monitors and basically anything that was at hand for connecting to a combo(s). The new leads that I ordered are TRS to XLR, and WOW, what a difference they have made. In my head, I know what sounds good to me and what does not. Now, everything sounds good. It is crazy to think that firstly I was thinking that my AX8 could be at fault and secondly that my new ADAM monitors could have slipped through quality control and I had have been sold factory 2nds.

Now I just want to plug in and play. :) The sounds still are not quite right, but that is down to me playing around with eq/peq settings to try to get the sound corrected when I had been using rubbish leads! A little bit of tweaking here and there and I think my AX8 and ADAM setup will be great!

I am still looking at the s/h ads for something newer from Fractal but I don't feel as desperate to plunge in and buy the first thing that comes my way now. Last night I had an offer for an FM3 for the cheapest price I have ever seen (in the UK). Normally I would just jump in and buy it, but having spent a bit of time watching videos and reviews I am starting to perhaps think I should hold onto my cash, save a bit more, and look to buy something that I want rather than just something that I can afford just now.

But getting back to what this is about, if you have a sound that is not quite right, check your cables and replace them if necessary. It sounds simple, but what a fool I have been. :rolleyes: Months if not years suffering and not being happy with my sound all because of rubbish cheap nasty cables. In the words (or word) of Homer Simpson, "DOH!!!".

Last edited:
Glad you found your issue before spending on newer hardware!

When I bought my AxeFX3 I got new cables for all connections (instrument, TRS to monitors, SPDIF to interface, MIDI, XLR to FC6, TRS to expression pedal) as the ones I had were very old.

It seemed silly to replace my cables but I noticed many times in this forum experienced users suggesting that issues others were having were likely due to cables.

All this to say thanks for posting your experience.. it will surely help some others avoid the same problem.

Glad you found your issue before spending on newer hardware!

When I bought my AxeFX3 I got new cables for all connections (instrument, TRS to monitors, SPDIF to interface, MIDI, XLR to FC6, TRS to expression pedal) as the ones I had were very old.

It seemed silly to replace my cables but I noticed many times in this forum experienced users suggesting that issues others were having were likely due to cables.

All this to say thanks for posting your experience.. it will surely help some others avoid the same problem.
Thank you for your comment.

The silly thing is that I have read and even suggested to others that THEIR (!!! lol) cables could be at fault when all along mine were a parcel of rubbish.

Your setup sounds like it would be my dream arrangement. One day I hope to have something similar, but for today, I am enjoying my new cables!

Thank you once again.

Brett

Back
Top Bottom