Hiwatt issue on my Gilmour preset

Most importantly: Gilmour is Gilmour. We all play different.
By now, i gave up on trying to recreate rigs. I go for the ballpark and pick the components, that underline my playing. Hiwatt and Fuzzes really dont work for me.

For the Shine intro, anything but the Hiwatt.

Right now I was tweaking a tone with the Bad Cat. Not chasing a Gilmour tone, but for my Ibanez J-Custom. I've decided to give it a try with the Strat (Fender CS Fat '50 neck pickup) and I get instant Shine/Echoes-intro juicy tones with great dynamics, and spark when pushing it.

FM3 preset attached. (Scene 1. The other scenes are high-gain tones that I have not tested with the Strat). I was using a custom IR, but I have replaced it with a Factory IR. tip: tweak the GEQ block and the Output EQ inside the AMP block to taste.
Great stuff, will give it a try

I'd experiment

Don't forget, the Red Strat had its internals totally modified. Firstly the EMGs, and then the SPC tone system, Gilmour also likes to stack compressors for clean tones, so he gets that specific tone.
I'd recomend having a read of some of the other things on the Gilmourish website as there's a lot of good info.

Your guitar will be different to DG's, personally I'd work on finding a tone that wasn't a 100% replica, but was your own version of it that brought out the aspects you like - the spank for example.

It really depends what you're after, a tonal copy or some DGish that works for you.
The FM3 has a LOT of tonal capability in it
Yep, not going to be obsessive about a match, just using Pulse as a reference for some similar tones for me really

I've been putting together a Gilmour preset on my FM3, I'm using the Pulse tones as a reference. None of the Axe exchange stuff or other recommendations have really worked for me. They're interesting, but not close. No surprise there, I've never bought or used a pre made preset that really has, always end up making my own.

For the clean tone, I'm doing the tried and tested methods, Strat on the neck pickup, Hiwatt bright amp, but instead of getting that sort of piercing almost ice picky type of tone that he gets and most others seem to get, my tone is a bit darker and bassy. This is with mids and treble up nearly all the way. Bass reduced a bit, but not too much as don't want to lose too much body in the tone.

The cab I'm using is Leon Todd's TV mix 7, which I know is not made for this, but I've tried a few others all with similar result, so one of you guys who has cracked this, can tell me what cab I should have in there, and that has to be the culprit right, because it can't be the Hiwatt surely?

I know Dave was using those WEM cabs, but I don't think we have anything matched to that in the fractal do we?
Moke’s work fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom