His Koa-berg 6 for my Holcomb, would you do it?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys, looking for second opinions here.

I have an offer on my PRS Holcomb (Lace Sensor Nitro Hemi pups, otherwise stock, has case, tags candy, etc., about a 9.9/10 condition).

The dude would like to trade me for his koa top Strandberg Boden 6, cocobolo neck, ebony board, BKP Juggernaut pups, and looks to be in immaculate condition. His is Washburn built and comes with the Strandy heavy duty gig bag that pretty much all non-MTM Bodens come with.

I'm leaning towards going for it, but I'd like some second opinions if you guys feel like weighing in. Thanks!

There are definitely things about it I love, and other things not so much.
Having that 20" radius board on a 25.5" scale is just so.damn.fast.
...but I'm not getting on with the neck profile (pattern thin). Nothing wrong with it, I just have gorilla palms, and when I'm waaay up the fretboard, my thumb goes over in a really unnatural, uncomfortable kinda' way.
My understanding is that the enduraneck was designed with exactly that in mind. And Strandbergs typically have flat radius fretboards as well if I'm not mistaken.
Plus, I figure it's bound to have less neck dive (not that the PRS is headstock heavy, but compared to a headless).

I would definitely do it. But then, I'm a headless convert all the way. Particularly, if the pickups are 4-wire. I like coil tap on all my guitars.

Those are two radically different guitars. So much that it's a personal preferance type of thing.

PRS is the guitar of my choice for many reasons. It's everything I want in a guitar. They are simply hands down the best quality electric guitars out there. Better build quality than Suhr, Gibson, Fender etc. It's not a racecar. It's not a Ferrari. It's a Rolls Royce, fancy elegant and always classy. It's "my tone". I don't sound like me without a PRS Custom/CE24. :)

That being said I do get what you're saying. Before I was using PRS I was using EBMM JPs and I've had 5 of them actually. That's a Ferrari for sure. Speed is what it's all about. Playing those two guitars side by side was always kind of trying to choose tone over playability. I even toyed with the idea of putting those HFS/Vintage pickups into my EBMMs to make them sound better but it didn't do the trick.

Eventually I decided that the instrument's job is to create the tone and my job is to play it as well as I possibly can and it didn't take me long to be able to play just as fast with the PRSs as on the EBMMs.

That's just my point of view. I've never tried a Strandberg and I've only heard good things said about them.

honestly wait until the strandbergs are being made back in Sweden and no longer by Washburn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right, I think of 20" as pretty darn flat, at least flattest I've played

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^ Also curious. Owned 3, something kept you coming back, right?

Washburn shop had QC issues with 2 of them and the first neck issues out of the S7G shop. Look they are bad ass designs hands down. Ola has a winning formula with his designs. The OS line I can't speak for personally. But if it came out of the Washburn shop or S7G shop I'd be sure to try that guitar before the swap. Being KOA it's Washburn now that's my 2cents on it.

I see. I had heard about S7G problems, but I thought Washburn was good to go. What were the QC issues?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S7G-- 1 neck replaced due to crooked side markers, 2 wormholes that was badly covered up

Washburn-- reseated fret, cracking neck, and refinish reseal, 3rd bought second hand shitty finish.

I just have absolutely no luck lol but other people I know with them guitars swear by them and theirs are prefect.

I'm curious to see where strandberg is going, actually.

Really, I'm waiting for Kiesel (Carvin) guitars to come up with a viable ergonomic headless design. It's time for them to get on that.

Back
Top Bottom