High gain recording with headphones

torkolort

Inspired
I know headphones have been discussed several times here, but I still have some questions regarding headphones vs monitors.

What I know:
- Since it goes directly into the ears, all room acoustics are missing.
- Headphones are rarely flat in the frequency response
- The lows often sound thin and less full, which may lead to overcompensation with EQ
- Different interpretation of the highs

I use headphones (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro) excluselively at home when playing, because I don't have monitors and can't play loud anyway. I do have one Atomic Reactor FR active speaker that I use occasionally. Have also played through a PA.

My experience (headphones vs live)
- The highs sound thin and shrill with headphones. They sound awesome through PA
- The mids or lows sound muffled with headphones. Sounds much better through PA
- Generally sounds static and sterile, and I feel like adding more gain with headphones. Also, vibrato takes much more effort with headphones. I have to bend and use the whammy bar harder than when playing live to even hear it. Through PA, it takes almost no effort at all to get a very audible effect.

It is really frustrating to have to play through headphones, but that's just how it is right now. Next year I'm gonna be looking for a new appartment. I will still not be able to play loud but there will be more room for sound there since I'm buying alone.

When recording direct, how high volume would be needed to add in those elements that are missing when monitoring through headphones? Since I can't play loud anyway, I also wonder how much I should be willing to pay for studio monitors.

And finally, it is at least 6 months before I can move out and I wonder if there is something temorary improvement I could do in the meantime. I think I paid about $100 for the DT770. I did a quick search for the Sennheiser HD 650 and it's about $600 over here. Would an upgrade like this help in anyway or just a waste of money?

Thanks!

I don't struggle with any of the issue you mention. In fact, all I've had to do is add a dB or two at 4K and 8K to align the sound of my in-ears with my studio monitors. I can create patches either in the room on my studio monitors, or using my in-ears, and they translate very well back and forth. I also play live using my ear buds and I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

I think I paid about $100 for the DT770. I did a quick search for the Sennheiser HD 650 and it's about $600 over here. Would an upgrade like this help in anyway or just a waste of money?
I have an old pair of relatively inexpensive headphones and they sound much like what you described; thin, shrill and no body. Conversely, my guitar sounds full and alive through my in-ears (Sensaphonics j-phonics SP). It's literally night and day. A better set of head phones or a good set of in-ear monitors should make a tremendous difference for you.

Terry.

The DT770 should be good, and they sound amazing when listening to music in general. I've actually discovered details in several songs which I never heard before. But it seems like it is pretty bass heavy, which maybe makes it sound awesome for final mixes, but not for high gain guitar monitoring. I'm not sure though.

The in-ear monitor thing sounds interesting, I actually thought about it a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't sure if people use it for recording monitors. Would you recommend in-ear monitors instead of regular headphones?

I forgot to mention in the OP that clean sounds sounds great through my setup, but as soon as I start adding gain and distortion it's just not right.

The in-ear monitor thing sounds interesting, I actually thought about it a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't sure if people use it for recording monitors. Would you recommend in-ear monitors instead of regular headphones?
I can't comment directly on your question. To be honest I've never owned a really good quality set of headphones. My situation was that I wanted a good quality set of in-ear monitors to use live, and it was easier to invest knowing I could also use them with my iPhone when I'm out and about and as "headphones" when I want to work quietly on music at home. I've done that a number of times now. . . worked on music, developed patches, etc. . . . using my in-ears when I've had to keep things quiet. I've been very pleased by how well they have worked, and I thoroughly enjoy listening to them in any scenario. FWIW, I do hear subtleties with my in-ears that I don't notice on my studio monitors.

I forgot to mention in the OP that clean sounds sounds great through my setup, but as soon as I start adding gain and distortion it's just not right.
Sounds to me like something is off in the mids.

Terry.

I have an old & cheap AKG K55 which sounds awesome IMO - I couldn't handle all the other guys over the years - but this little stupid cheap K55.....wow!

only IMO....I'm not a pro in terms of mixing (I'm a pro when in terms of "fixing" (repair) the mixer, but that's another story :D )

Back
Top Bottom