High gain OD pedal+FXL block

sk8te4free7

Inspired
i've having this issue for several years now & i can't seem to find a solution as to why after i palm mute chords, there's a high pitch unwanted sound at the end of the sound. I've already done MANY adjustments to both input gate+noise gate block in my chain+ a comp block. I've decreased so much gain on the amp block+pedal running through FXL block and another drive block. I have noticed that the drive block may cause the feedback to enable but while reducing values within the block, the tone gets drained out.

Any suggestions for a high gain gate settings to eliminate this high pitch?

Sounds like it's inturnal,what are you monitoring it through? Does it do it if you turn down the power amp or monitors

I'm using my power amp with a passive 2x12 speak cab. It doesn't do it with other stock presets but with the preset i've created to use a OD pedal via FXL block, i get a lot of gain and this sound comes out. Can't figure out what settings to use on the noise gates

If your gain levels are too high, you can get oscillation. If there's massive amounts of compression and clipping, the input can become sensitive enough to actually pick up the signal from nearby signal wires and you can get a sort of feedback loop creating the squeal.

Post a preset and we can double check your levels and such.

IMHO you are using WAY too much gain. You've got an Friedman HBE with the gain dimed boosted with tube screamer with gain on 8.31 and level on 10. That alone is serious gain overkill and you are also trying to add an external drive pedal in front of all of that. There's no guitar signal left. It's just mush and fizz with no dynamics. No surprise that your're getting oscillation there.

Even after removing the drive block, the drive on the amp and external pedal - the gain is reduced almost sounding a bit dried out. I've lowered the gain on everything (not saving the adjustments before uploading the file) and the sound is just dry and low gain everything

Does it feed back on your headphones? I don't have my cab here right now but it doesn't screech through my phones.

You have to train your ears to appreciate the clarity and punch that moderate gain levels give. You will almost certainly be happier in the long run. You'll have better clarity, more punchy dynamics, your tones will cut through the mix better, and you have a lot less noise to deal with. If you need that big wall of noise kind of thing on albums, use multi-tracking to layer multiple moderate gain tracks. You'll be amazed at the difference in the fidelity of your mixes. Once you reach a certain level of clipping, increasing the gain can actually start to make the track sound smaller and wimpier. It can squash it to death and there's often little to no impact left to playing dynamics. It's a point of diminishing returns. It can still be plenty heavy, but you have be careful not to go too far. It took me years to learn that, but once I did I've never been happier with my sound.

Friedman HBE with the gain dimed boosted with tube screamer with gain on 8.31 and level on 10... ...and you are also trying to add an external drive pedal in front of all of that.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I love me some beer & scotch, but too much of a good thing, and it's :confounded: :fearscream:

I am beginning to understand what you mean. I've adjusted the gain and lowered some values to some blocks and it does sound more fuller and punchier. I'm just trying to achieve exactly what you said - clarity, punchier and dynamics. I've been trying to get a "studio" quality live patch but compared to how i have it now it does sound way different and bigger as opposed to how it was originally.

Only took a few hours

Back
Top Bottom