High gain amps that clean up with volume knob

In my opinion using guitar's volume pot won't give great clean tone. If you roll down volume pot you decreasing signal from pickups and this have a huge, negative influence on your tone.

That is really dependant on the guitar/pickups/amp. One of my LPs cleans up so perfectly when I roll back the volume, and the tone is different/better than if I just used a clean amp. The best part is that I am able to dial in the level of clean whilst I'm playing, and it goes from fat drive to really nice sparkly clean. My other LP however, sucks at this and I pretty much leave the Volume on 10 all the time. :)

That is really dependant on the guitar/pickups/amp. One of my LPs cleans up so perfectly when I roll back the volume, and the tone is different/better than if I just used a clean amp. The best part is that I am able to dial in the level of clean whilst I'm playing, and it goes from fat drive to really nice sparkly clean. My other LP however, sucks at this and I pretty much leave the Volume on 10 all the time. :)

Could be '50s wiring?

Any of the amps where the master volume is, or can be maxed. So this usually means old style Brit types.
I max the master, then bring up the input gain until I reach my lead tone. Lower output pickups work best as high output pickups tend to be a one trick pony.
I play all my set with one amp setting and can go from funk to classic rock soloes, all controled from the guitar volume and pickup selection.

Could be '50s wiring?

The one that cleans up is an exact replica of a 59 LP (it's the Collectors Choice series), so the wiring is probably the same as 50s. This is however something I know very little about, would this be the reason why my newer LP Studio (2010 model) doesn't clean up at all?

I do not use any Emgs live. I need to update my profile. Lol.
EVH Wolfgang. Prs custom 24. EBMM jp6 and a few others.

The one that cleans up is an exact replica of a 59 LP (it's the Collectors Choice series), so the wiring is probably the same as 50s. This is however something I know very little about, would this be the reason why my newer LP Studio (2010 model) doesn't clean up at all?

Well, if the rest of the rig is the same, then either the pickups are wound hotter and more compressed, or yeah - the wiring will help. '50s wiring keeps a lot more sparkle when lower, so you keep "definition" at a lower pot setting. I much prefer it, else you dig in too much with the darker sound to get a bit of spank out of it, and push the signal back into dirt.

Back
Top Bottom