High end too polite?

Good points Clarky!

I play in a band with a keyboardplayer but also in other situations with percusionists, sax and so on so I see what you are saying. Finding your aural space- and not taking up too much of it is not always easy!

Might be imagining the hi end thing being worse than it actually is but I have tested this firmware with several of my Suhrs that are pretty bright guitars to begin with and I could not get that sparkle back with just treble/presence.
Will try smcrosby's suggestion.

Good points Clarky!

I play in a band with a keyboardplayer but also in other situations with percusionists, sax and so on so I see what you are saying. Finding your aural space- and not taking up too much of it is not always easy!

Might be imagining the hi end thing being worse than it actually is but I have tested this firmware with several of my Suhrs that are pretty bright guitars to begin with and I could not get that sparkle back with just treble/presence.
Will try smcrosby's suggestion.

it may be counter intuitive… but on your clean tones, try an almost inaudible amount of distortion..

OK so FIRMWARE 13…..And the treble is back somehow!

Cliff says its identical but I feel definitely something has changed.

I dialed out the highs out of the power section and out of the cab to 8000k before fw13. Now I don't have too, and those icepick highs are gone at rehearsals. So, I think the treble is great now.

Jan

Reactions: J.C
I don't think so man…..unless of course I did something wrong setting up 12.04

I wasn't digging the SLO or Bogner XTC for example….waaaay too dark. But now the edge is there…its back!

I'll just speak for myself regarding this but the "high-end sizzle" we previously had was a nightmare for me with an FRFR setup. The FRFR speakers are a bit more "harsh" than a traditional guitar cab, so I would have to tame the tones. With the newest set of firmwares, I know I can use a bunch of different options in the amp parameters to get me there like "character", "bright", "bright level", etc., etc. I highly recommend you use "character". I get way more treble at even "1" with that.

I think the biggest mental hurdle to overcome is the realisation that amazing tones heard in isolation do not often translate well to a mix..
so it's kinda counter intuitive..

SO True!! For us live/loud players, I have learned to tweak tones w/ a backing track or drum machine behind my tones...testing each tweak here, and a tweak there.

Admittedly, they all used to sound great standing alone - but thats not goal.

I'll just speak for myself regarding this but the "high-end sizzle" we previously had was a nightmare for me with an FRFR setup. The FRFR speakers are a bit more "harsh" than a traditional guitar cab, so I would have to tame the tones. With the newest set of firmwares, I know I can use a bunch of different options in the amp parameters to get me there like "character", "bright", "bright level", etc., etc. I highly recommend you use "character". I get way more treble at even "1" with that.

Thanks for the leads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO True!! For us live/loud players, I have learned to tweak tones w/ a backing track or drum machine behind my tones...testing each tweak here, and a tweak there.

Admittedly, they all used to sound great standing alone - but thats not goal.

when I set up my live tones I do it through my full live rig in a rehearsal studio [a 4 hour session with just me in it in the biggest room I can hire]
and with my iPod jacked into the desk / PA with the band's live set

I'd make copies of all my studio presets but put the Lv suffix on the preset names so I know that these will be the 'live' versions
then at moderate levels I start playing along with the backing tracks to nail basic EQ, fx strengths and relative tonal levels [better riff and solo for example].
this gets me 80% to where I need to be.. so when I'm happy, the volume goes up to gig levels and I do it all again..
playing along with the backing tracks, EQ, fx strengths and relative tonal levels
listening out [and fixing] boomy lows, piercing hi's, overly strong reverb / delay / fx, and refining the inter tonal levels
then I just play the set over and over.. the refinements get smaller and smaller..
this gets me 90+% to my target..
when I finally rehearse with the band, any further adjustments are very minor so I'm not pissing away the rehearsal sat in front of the box saying "just another minute guys… almost there" for the entire rehearsal..
once this is nailed.. and gig ready.. my live config is frozen.. essentially "saved, backed up, and do not touch"

should fw x.0y come out and deliver a killer 'must have' feature / tonal option…
I create further copies of my studio presets in a different preset area with the Exp suffix in the name
these are experimental versions that allow me to goof with this new stuff in my own time..
I'd never use these new presets until so satisfied with them that they can replace my studio presets and then go through the whole 'make ready for live' process again..
fortunately… this is very rare…

interestingly…
when you get home and try out the live presets through your studio monitoring system and home friendly levels, I tend to find that they sound flat, dry and lifeless….
but at gig levels through my stage rig… they are rocking…
and this is why I have two sets of presets..
one set for studio and another set of copies reworked for live use..

Back
Top Bottom