High end sparkle missing

stink

Experienced
OK, I've tried just about everything to get correlation between CL4 and the mixed IR. To my ears, they do not sound the same. When mixing in CL4, the sound is rich and sparkly, but when I mix it down to a single IR, the sizzle and sparkle is gone and it sounds rather dull.

What I've tried:
Lowering the USB return to get the same volume whether CL4 is engaged/disengaged (to -8 db)
Raising/lowering the speaker block output to match CL4

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but to me, it doesn't sound the same. Attached is the following:
GC Custom 1 IR
Brit 800 preset
CL4 session (once downloaded, change file extension to .cls from .txt - the .cls format is isn't supported by this forum board)

Can anyone else replicate this? It's driving me bonkers.

Any suggestions @Admin M@ ?

Attachments

• GC Custom 1.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Brit 800.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • GC Test Session.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You're auditioning with SW Live Mode, correct?

Remember that there's no Cab block when doing so because it's bypassed.

When the Cab block is used for your IR, there's EQ on each IR and in the Preamp section.

There's also the Preamp itself.

And there's the IR type. Are you using UltraRes?

To match Cab-Lab:

• turn off the Preamp (set to None)
  • Set all EQ knobs in Preamp page to 0
  • Set overall Hi/Low cuts to default
  • Set I/R slot Hi/Low to default
  • Set IR slot to UltraRes
Hopefully that gets you there?

You've got a high cut in the Preamp tab on the IR at about 12K, but no global high cut in the CabLab session. That might be it.
SOB, that was it! The loudness delta I figured out with the suggestions from @unix-guy. So easy to overlook a parameter. I greatly appreciate the help
You're auditioning with SW Live Mode, correct?

Remember that there's no Cab block when doing so because it's bypassed.

When the Cab block is used for your IR, there's EQ on each IR and in the Preamp section.

There's also the Preamp itself.

And there's the IR type. Are you using UltraRes?

To match Cab-Lab:

• turn off the Preamp (set to None)
  • Set all EQ knobs in Preamp page to 0
  • Set overall Hi/Low cuts to default
  • Set I/R slot Hi/Low to default
  • Set IR slot to UltraRes
Hopefully that gets you there?
Yes, SW live mode. Yes Ultrares. It was the stupid cut in the actual cab block. 🤦‍♂️

Remove/disable any cab/post cab eq/fx in preset as already mentioned, - but also, if comparing back to what was heard with the same preset using an equivalent on-board DC mode mix:
  • when mixing in CL4 and importing back to a legacy mode cab slot, the SIC curve will default back (unless previously resaved to a revised curve), in legacy cab mode, to the standard one associated to the amp block (in your case: "Brit800"), where as if the same preset is running with the onboard cab block in DC mode with AutoDCImp On, then the SIC curve will default to the one associated to the DC cab selected in the 1st DC cab slot (ie 1x10 Metro Blues whose SIC curve may be quite different than the amp's default "Brit800" curve and therefore could account for some differences you may hear between a preset with an onboard DC mix, vs the same preset auditioning the same mix from CL4. To more closely replicate an on-board DC cab starting point after going out to CL4 and back into a legacy cab slot, you can (after CL import and switching to legacy cab mode) turn off AutoDCImp on the amp speaker page and choose a curve that matches what you were using initially onboard, in the 1st cab slot in DC mode (in this case the 1x10 Metro Blues curve). A related item that can be confusing is that the curve names are not always matching up exactly to the DC cab names as I explained more here - hopefully the name discrepancies can be cleaned up at some point.
  • in CL4 the mic distance and position scales are different compared to onboard DCs - this, combined with the "Angular" feature in CL4 could mean that sounds between CL4 and onboard DC are not exactly matchable (a benefit of CL4: more range)
He's comparing a mix from SW Live Mode to the exported IR into the Cab block.

There is no auto SIC because there's no DynaCab being used in the Cab block.

He's comparing a mix from SW Live Mode to the exported IR into the Cab block.

There is no auto SIC because there's no DynaCab being used in the Cab block.
yes - I got that - seemed related in that folks may try to match a CL4 mix export to a similar/equal originating onboard DC mix (ie to reduce # of IRs for CPU savings) and wonder why they don't sound at all the same (looking at his preset and cab mix, this would be the case). Anyway - no matter - post deleted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom