High-end audio... versus declining listening conditions?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I just thought I'd check in with this great community, as I'm facing a decision and I can't seem to be able to convince myself either way.

I've been a somewhat discerning audio buff for a long time, and used to spend more of my budget on audio gear than I did on housing, transportation, and food combined. My search for sonic nirvana ended when I eventually discovered electrostatic speakers and bought a pair of Acoustat of gargantuan proportions in the early eighties. I have yet to hear speakers that bring me as much listening pleasure, and I've heard many very high end ones at audio shops and at friends' who share my passion.

One problem is that, as of now, my preamp and power amp driving these beauties are 39 years old. They are quite respectable components from PS Audio, and they were revamped by legendary audio guru Dan Santoni who replaced all the degraded components a few years ago. But even though the PS Audio have been able to push these demanding speakers for 39 years, they have now started having mechanical failures, i.e. the power switch which broke and the substituted replacements that keep breaking every year or two. Therefore, logically, I'm thinking of getting new amplification components. Again, Acoustats are difficult - they demand a lot of power, high current, and have a nominal impedance of 4 ohm that dips below 2 ohm from 12Khz to 35Khz. I found the pre- and power-amp that I'm looking for, but...

I'm now 66 years old, my hearing is damaged from loud bands and power tools, and two years ago I sold the big house and moved to a trouble-free condo with poor sound insulation in the floors and ceilings and an easily irritable downstairs neighbor. In short, I can't listen to music at the levels I'd like to, and my hearing isn't as refined as it used to be. So the laws of diminishing returns collide head-on with the cost of buying new equipment. That's the "reason" argument.

But I still get tremendous enjoyment out of the precision of the three-dimensional imaging I get out of my stereo when I play good source material on a good medium. There is also the risk that my PS Audio amps will one day suffer a terminal failure, even in spite of the recent replacement of degrading parts (and then I'd have to scramble to find a replacement, and the demanding nature of the Acoustats would still limit choices).

So why am I writing this long story? Surely there are other high end audio enthusiasts here, and surely some of you are also going through similar changes - hearing damage or other conditions restricting your listening opportunities - and I'd like to hear from you about how you face that debate.

New high-end audio gear costs a lot, and the possibilities of enjoying it are on a down-slope curve... but there are still plenty of reasonable justifications.
Thoughts?

Funny you should mention it. My utterly impractical audio weapons of choice are a pair of long out of production tower speakers from a company called Amrita. (The company ended in a warehouse fire many, many years ago.). The speakers were originally run with a pair of giant mono amps. Now slightly less impressively, by a Rotel stereo amp.

Although I have a decent listening space, I rarely fire them up. Somewhere along the line, convenience took the lead and I listen with the near fields on my desk. I know what I’m missing, but I can’t be bothered.

Would it possibly be worth it to move to the highest end of headphone audiophile equipment? I don't know if anything could compete with what you have now at good listening volume. If you need to have the volume higher than is neighborly really to enjoy the music better because of the hearing damage, maybe that's where the headphones would really shine. Of course you wouldn't want to damage your hearing further either by cranking the cans too loud!

This is tangential, but since you mentioned your neighbor being easily irritated, I wanted to lend some my experience, as someone who's lived in apartments most of my life. I get panicked in a way I can't control (heartrate goes through the roof, shortness of breath, nausea) when I hear music bleed through from neighbors. It stems from a very unusual artspace building we lived in that had no noise ordinance for waking hours. It was intended for artists like sculptors and woodworkers who would need to be very loud with their tools, but our next door neighbor used the ordinance suspension as an excuse to play electronica, which, of course, is repetitive to a an inhuman level, at club volumes, for hours each day. My wife and I would have to shout to hear each other at home.

That was our most extreme case, but we've lived in many other apartment situations, and I've experienced music bleed through at all of them, to various degrees. Even a moderate volume in a multifamily building can bleed through more than you would imagine. It's funny reading your post, because whenever I heard music from speakers that I could tell were right up against our wall, I'd assume the neighbor probably had moved from a house to apartment and had no idea how much bled through. And I would never complain unless it got really loud, but it was miserable. Soundproofing usually is not a concern in the construction of apartments or condos, even in the higher end ones, in my experience. If you have a good relationship with any adjoining neighbors, you might even ask to run your system and experience it in their condo to see how it bleeds through, so you can see if you feel their concerns are reasonable. It might make you feel less bad about them having been irritable.

I'm going to give you the same advice I just gave in another thread......get a pair of bad-ass twin driver studio monitors, and in your case, since
you would be replacing some gargantuan speakers, maybe a sub. A setup like this would be much more friendly for the size of a condo, and
still sound superb......plus, you can play the Axe Fx through them. biggrin.gif

All I have to add is that I grew up, listening to Accustat, Magnaplaners and Koss electrostatic speakers. Even had a pair of Stax ES headphones.

I’m with you 100% on the quality.

High end audio was the world of my father and his friends.

My uncle Dr. Sao Win of WinLabs work below incl strain gauge phono cartridge, preamp, magnetically-levitated tonearm, and turntable:

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

Long ago …

I would say at some point you have to weigh the costs and make compromises that give you a level of satisfaction you can live with given your limitations. Listening to speakers that can produce 35 kHz ? the dogs in the surrounding area must run for the hills when you fire up you stereo.

I know that for me, certain frequency ranges are just trashed from decades of certain activities. No amount of high end anything is going to compensate for it, and it's kind of rough knowing that music I used to listen to, doesn't sound the same now.

It does sort of sound like headphones would be ideal in your situation. I know personally, I don't like wearing them for that long, and with the obvious limitations in movement. I know when I was younger, turning out the lights, and chilling for a few hours with some great headphones was a thing. I can't sit still for that long now, and get music while I'm doing other things.

Thanks y'all for the various comments. Just wanted to address a few points that were mentioned...

• I have a pair of bad-ass twin driver studio monitors. Even though that's also an interesting experience, it has absolutely nothing in common with the three-dimensional sound stage I get from the acoustats.
  • Similarly, I have high-end headphones, great fun, totally different experience
  • I am actually very respectful of the neighbors, and haven't played any music anywhere near loud ever since I moved in. The intolerant downstairs neighbor I mentioned also complained about when we walk around in our flat (and we never ever wear shoes indoors, so stocking feet drive her above the threshold needed to complain)
  • I'm still debating the cost over benefit ratio, but I am leaning towards getting that dream amp anyway. I might be 66, but my 98-years-old mom reminded me that we have good genetics. And I'll probably not live in that condo forever, soooo...

Back
Top Bottom