High CPU usage (standard + fw11)

drkdick

At least one of my presets now seems too "hot" for the standard after upgrading to fw11. The sound pops, the display can't keep up and the CPU usage shows 98-99%. I did not have this problem before upgrading and I'm wondering if it's a known tradeoff with the latest firmware?

The chain is "comp drive 2xamps 1xcab reverb chorus delay". If i lower the cab to "mono lores" I get a safe 95% without issues. Does this sound like a plausible CPU limit for the standard or am I experiencing some kind of bug?

That seems like a plausible limit. I am new to the Standard, but I noticed that a couple of the presets actually maxed out ("CPU out of memory error" or something similar) after the upgrade. Two amps + everything else in your effects chain seems right as far as what it takes to approach the CPU limit. Either that, or we've both got buggy units. I'm guessing it's a normal limitation/tradeoff.

Must be more CPU-hungry code in the new firmware then, thanks for replying. While I go through and fix my patches, maybe someone could send me the link to where I can download this "Axe-FX II" thing everybody keeps talking about :)

I've noticed the same thing with my standard. It seems to be using more CPU with fw11. Although I'm not complaining - it sounds a lot better! :)

I would assume the better tone is the byproduct of additional CPU usage. A decent tradeoff but one nonetheless. Something to consider before upgrading if you use patches with lots of effects blocks. I upgraded and only had one patch that started dropping in and out. I deleted a chorus that was in the signal chain as a tradeoff and am all set at 93% on that one. All others hovering around 90-92%.

FW 11 sounds tight AND alive! Cliff and Tom are marketing geniuses not only was giving us FW11 a beautiful gift but it was the equivalent of giving us a taste of crack which means so many of us are going to NEED the Axe FX II. Already scrambling to scrape the dough together.

Back
Top Bottom