High and low cut option in the AMP block

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Ever since I have been using Fractal product (Axe FXII, AX8, AXE3, and FM3) I have always used the hi cut and low cut filters in the cab block. I typically use a low cut around 80Hz and a hi cut of around 7300 Hz. I have found this does a good job of getting rid of boom and fizz in the sound. In the last couple of weeks I started exploring the hi and low cuts in the amp block as well. I am really liking what this does for the sound. It seems to make it more mid focused (which it should be). I am not sure I understand why though. Maybe the cuts are before the amp is why there is a difference..

Just goes to show there is always something you can learn no matter how long you use something.

You are basically cutting lows before you hit the preamp similar to what a screamer does but with much more control over how much
so it more focusing and controlling the low freq your guitar is sending
its a powerful tool

I prefer the hi / lo cut filters in the amp block as well. This works really well with my power / guitar cab set up. I find i don't have to use additional eq blocks. Of course I still have to tweak the cab block for my FOH feed. I saw this tip in one of Leon Todds views. I have used this approach on all my patches since.

Ever since I have been using Fractal product (Axe FXII, AX8, AXE3, and FM3) I have always used the hi cut and low cut filters in the cab block. I typically use a low cut around 80Hz and a hi cut of around 7300 Hz. I have found this does a good job of getting rid of boom and fizz in the sound. In the last couple of weeks I started exploring the hi and low cuts in the amp block as well. I am really liking what this does for the sound. It seems to make it more mid focused (which it should be). I am not sure I understand why though. Maybe the cuts are before the amp is why there is a difference..

Just goes to show there is always something you can learn no matter how long you use something.
Same here.

You are basically cutting lows before you hit the preamp similar to what a screamer does but with much more control over how much
so it more focusing and controlling the low freq your guitar is sending
its a powerful tool
Is it actually before the preamp, or between the preamp and power amp (virtual)? The input EQ has low cut and high cut as well. Is that duplicate?

At 7300Hz, wouldn't that be cutting into some higher harmonic content of the highest register of the guitar?

I come from the world of tube amps (Axe Fx III being my first pro-level effects, as well as modelling), specifically Mesa and Marshall, and I've always been able to dial in great tone on them. But I don't really know much about the hows & whys..., things like hi-cut & low-cut are good examples.

But my understanding is that every vibrating string on an amplified electric guitar actually sounds many harmonics, in addition to its fundamental. Does using the hi-cut (I suppose it's not an issue with low-cut, but correct me if I'm wrong) remove harmonic content that you'd want to retain, if you went below a certain frequency? And I'm talking about all the way up to a 1-step bend on the 24th fret of the high E string.

Same question for wanting to be able to catch pinch harmonics, which sometimes I'll accidentally catch one on the high e string, fretted around the 17th fret, with the tip of my first finger, on an upstroke. I think that's 10,560Hz, if I'm not mistaken.

Typical guitar speakers drop off pretty fast past around 5 or 6 kHz. Also, remember these are first order filters or -6 dB per octave, quite gentle. The cutoff frequency is at the -3dB point in the curve so there's still a fair bit of signal passing beyond the cutoff.

It seems the "Low Cut Freq" in the Preamp section is the same as the "Low Cut" control in the Input EQ. If you move one, the other changes as well. The "High Cut" is separate, which makes sense since it's post preamp in the preamp section but on the input in the Input EQ.

Back
Top Bottom