Hi, new member here

fuzznut

My ultra will be here tomorrow!!!

What's funny is, I have never heard of Fractal Audio or the Axe-FX until last Friday. I spent the two weeks prior to that screwing around with my tube amp "test bed" chassis, throwing every hi-gain preamp configuration I could find a schematic for in there, looking for that "killer" sound. Each preamp was always, "that's cool, but it doesn't react to picking nuances", or "boy that's a lot of gain, but it has no character", etc. Some did sound pretty good, but the eternal problem was that they had to be turned up loud to sound good; every single one of them was poo-poo at low volumes.
But anyway, Friday night I was googling something, I don't remember,
and one of the hits took me to a BB with a thread about "pod vs (?) for home recording", and one of the replies was like, "An Axe-FX is what you want. There is no comparison to anything else." So, of course, I had to google Axe-FX to find out what it was. Found the Fractal site, and went, "Wow, that sounds cool!". Found the owner's manual, and as I was reading it, my jaw started dropping at a fast rate. My jaw hit the floor when I read about "amp geek" parameters.
I was literally in shock. It was 3AM, forced myself to go to bed, but couldn't sleep.
Saturday, the entire day, was spent in front of the computer gathering information about this incredible Axe-FX device. I kept fighting it, you know, I don't really need one. After all, I have been seemingly content with my JMP-1, even if it does have only one sound.
Sunday, I lost the fight. I ordered one. Then, with disgust, I put my tube chassis and my box of 10 million resistors away in the garage, hoping that the next person that sees that stuff will be an museum curator. I'm done.

Happy happy joy joy :lol:

Nice story, welcome aboard. I know i have no gas for effects units after my purchase of the Ultra, now i just gas for guitars and Redwire IR's:)

Ive read every post that's been posted.
I feel ahead of the game so far.
My Axe arrived today and it is awesome!
The only thing that has me perplexed is IR's.
I've read many threads about it & am left with the impression that IR's are cabinet simulators.

Am I wrong?

Also I was also left with an empty taste via hearsay dating back 2 years at least.
Where is ClawFinger? What was so god about his IR's?

Yeah, IR means Impulse Response and you can import 10 extra custom IRs into user spots in your AxeFx,
so far there are 10 spots only but I'm 99% sure Cliff it's gonna upgrade that with new firmwares, at least 5 more spots.
I personally still haven't messed enough with custom IRs, I like what's in AxeFx already but will see. :)

Count Robio said:
Where is ClawFinger? What was so god about his IR's?
He's still around. I think he need's time to do other things than posting that much here. His IRs were praised by a lot of members. I think for the most part because they were well made and of different cabs than the stock ones. IMHO they weren't better or worse than the stock cabs, but different. Don't know why he closed his page, maybe too less time and too much to do ...
Micha

fuzznut said:
My ultra will be here tomorrow!!!

What's funny is, I have never heard of Fractal Audio or the Axe-FX until last Friday. I spent the two weeks prior to that screwing around with my tube amp "test bed" chassis, throwing every hi-gain preamp configuration I could find a schematic for in there, looking for that "killer" sound. Each preamp was always, "that's cool, but it doesn't react to picking nuances", or "boy that's a lot of gain, but it has no character", etc. Some did sound pretty good, but the eternal problem was that they had to be turned up loud to sound good; every single one of them was poo-poo at low volumes.
But anyway, Friday night I was googling something, I don't remember,
and one of the hits took me to a BB with a thread about "pod vs (?) for home recording", and one of the replies was like, "An Axe-FX is what you want. There is no comparison to anything else." So, of course, I had to google Axe-FX to find out what it was. Found the Fractal site, and went, "Wow, that sounds cool!". Found the owner's manual, and as I was reading it, my jaw started dropping at a fast rate. My jaw hit the floor when I read about "amp geek" parameters.
I was literally in shock. It was 3AM, forced myself to go to bed, but couldn't sleep.
Saturday, the entire day, was spent in front of the computer gathering information about this incredible Axe-FX device. I kept fighting it, you know, I don't really need one. After all, I have been seemingly content with my JMP-1, even if it does have only one sound.
Sunday, I lost the fight. I ordered one. Then, with disgust, I put my tube chassis and my box of 10 million resistors away in the garage, hoping that the next person that sees that stuff will be an museum curator. I'm done.

Happy happy joy joy :lol:
Great story!

Two things to add:
1-) The on-line Axe-FX manual is out of data and probably doesn't cover all the features that Cliff added to the various firmware versions that came along. Once you have the beast in your hands, you will find even more deep-dive amp tweaking parameters to make you happy.
2-) Those deep-dive technical amp tweaking parameters are like virtual buckets of tube chassis and millions of resistors and caps and diodes and tubes (yes, tubes), and transformers, etc.

In other words, if you think you spent a lot of time with that tube chassis, better buy a lot of frozen dinners once you get your Axe. Oh, and disconnect your phone line - all you'll need now is an internet connection.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys!!

This Axe-FX.... OMFG!!!!!!! It's incredible!!!!!!

I didn't post yesterday because I was busy going "holy ****!!!, holy ****!!! :D

I dove right in and started tweaking. The tonal palette is endless! Thank you Cliff for making this awesome musical tool!!

Just wait until you get to the model of Eric Johnson's "Energizer battery on the edge of dying" for the fuzzface block.
;-)

Back
Top Bottom