hi-gain lead tone question

clarky

Axe-Master
do any of you guys use hi-gain tones that make the neck feel very very sensitive and light to the touch..??
as if the tone has been super-compressed... like a fly could land on a string and make a note sound..

I know when doing this there's generally a trade-off between tone and feel
I was wondering if any of you folk out there use this type of tone and how you went about creating it..

Not sure I understand the question...hi gain leads are kinda by definition super-compressed.

I do know that I prefer high gain leads with lots of power section action in them. I love the almost monophonic character in some amps...when you hit a note, it kinda closes the door and doesn't let other notes (or finger noises etc) through. A very defined and juicy lead character.

Not sure I understand the question...hi gain leads are kinda by definition super-compressed.

I do know that I prefer high gain leads with lots of power section action in them. I love the almost monophonic character in some amps...when you hit a note, it kinda closes the door and doesn't let other notes (or finger noises etc) through. A very defined and juicy lead character.
Yeah, not sure I follow the question myself, but I like your description of the tone.

I also concur that the power section plays a big role. I've always set up my hi-gain patches with one tone for rhythm and one for lead, and the primary difference is the master volume control. Often the lead tone is about double what the rhythm is. Recently I started doing X/Y amps so I can change some of my EQ settings as well, but I rarely increase the gain control. The master volume seems to give the increased compression and sustain I'm looking for better than increasing the gain.

hmmm... I'm not describing this very well....

no worries... when I find what I'm looking for I'll post the preset...

I think i know what you are talking about. For me i can achieve that tone by raising the dynamic parameter to 75% and above. Check it out if you didnt before :).

the prob has been totally solved thanks to the highly talented and generous Mark Day...
I just tried out his "Late Night" preset and it has exactly the 'touch' I've been looking for...

Clarky's mistakes:
not using the saturation switch
not using the boost switch
seems a little obvious now...
but you have to remember that I'm a noob on the tone side of the Axe.. so I'm still finding my way...
I was trying to get it all from the preamp alone so I could clean up....
and that is why my tone felt like it was 'holding back'
not I simply need to sort out the 'cleaning' side of my preset and I'll be there...

two stoopid buttons that I forgot to look at... jeez...
now... the Axe and me are deeply in love....

Mark... if you're reading this... and should our paths ever cross some day... the beers are totally on me...

it's funny... after weeks of frustrating searching.. I've just nailed my preset in 10 minutes...
and now.. the Axe has made me late for stuff cos I can't put the guitar down.... lmao

Hi Clarky, saw your question at work but it looks like you found an answer yourself. I do find some amps are more sensitive than others, but I just see it as a matter of being precise with muting. I mean it's the guitar too...my Jems are fine but the Universe [equipped with Evo 2 in bridge] is extremely sensitive, it's like you say, if you just touch the strings...lightly...some sound...yuk. Another dude that tried it noticed this too, so it's not just me. And at the time, we were playing through something by Column7 [manufacturer's name disguised] not an Axe. I find if I can play my Universe cleanly, I can play anything cleanly.
Glad you worked it out in the end.

Hi Clarky, saw your question at work but it looks like you found an answer yourself. I do find some amps are more sensitive than others, but I just see it as a matter of being precise with muting. I mean it's the guitar too...my Jems are fine but the Universe [equipped with Evo 2 in bridge] is extremely sensitive, it's like you say, if you just touch the strings...lightly...some sound...yuk. Another dude that tried it noticed this too, so it's not just me. And at the time, we were playing through something by Column7 [manufacturer's name disguised] not an Axe. I find if I can play my Universe cleanly, I can play anything cleanly.
Glad you worked it out in the end.

thing is... I actually want that lightness... I like it..
the muting side of things is ok cos I'm used to using very hi-gain tones..
my issue at the time was not being able to get that sensitivity...

I do know what you mean though.. and yes.. when you're a hi-gain player, muting has to become second nature..
it also helps if you mute the guitar down to prevent sympathy ringing from anything on the guitar that can..
stuffing tissue paper between the springs if you have a whammie is a biggie..
and when recording, roll up some tissue or cloth like a cigarette and stuff it under the strings on the headsock just behind the nut..

the prob has been totally solved thanks to the highly talented and generous Mark Day...
I just tried out his "Late Night" preset and it has exactly the 'touch' I've been looking for.

Clarky, can you post the preset link? Searched the forum but couldn't find it.

Back
Top Bottom