Hi everyone long time reader finally registered . An issue that is getting to me, open to ideas of the cause.

Andy Eagle

Fractal Fanatic
I am trying out the Celestion F12-X200 in a Mesa Thieli with a GT1000fx power and some days it is fantastic but it sometimes sounds thin and nasal . I originally came from the tube power amp and guitar cabs way of doing things but want to take proper advantage of the stuff I had switched off.
I know this speaker is not really flat response but the inconsistency is what is getting to me. Is it possible that axe is causing the inconstancy ? I know some people occasionally get an overall negative change in tone after an update and a reload usually fixes it but could anything come and go ?
Thanks in advance .

What happens on some days and what happens on other days?

If you don’t change the Axe, it will be consistent. If you make changes, things will change.

Our ears and perception also changes daily.

Describe more what is happening and we can help.

On a bad day it sounds nasal and has an annoying artefact in the tone and on other days it sounds totally great . It has not been moved or touched .

Frequency response of your ears could be changing, reduced lows is a common symptom of allergies, sinus issues, Eustachian tube dysfunction. Reduced compliance of the ear drum which reduced the lows more than the highs, this things can sound thin

On a bad day it sounds nasal and has an annoying artefact in the tone and on other days it sounds totally great . It has not been moved or touched .
Are you at home when you notice this or at a gig? If it is a gig, is it always the same place?

Are you using the same preset every time you listen to it? You may have Cab sims turned on and you’ll want those turned off if you’re using a real guitar speaker. Next, swap out the cables. The Axe is consistent, so you may have a cable issue that’s being temperamental. Or is there any way your guitar may be splitting coils unintentionally?

That’s all I’ve got. In my history of being an Axe owner, if there’s ever a problem, it’s been something other than the Axe.

Do you have an expression pedal setup for wah and the plug is accidentally disconnected slightly? It will cause this sound. Mine partially unplugged and I looked around for a while to see what was going on. I noticed a little metal after the plug and plugged it back in fully. Sound was back to normal.

I use the Friedman preset as a basis of a preset and if I change to the C45 scene it sounds almost like a dodgy tube. If I reset the amp block this goes away but then it comes back.I haven't worked out the circumstances of when.

One point to keep in mind is the fact that the original Mesa Thiele cabs were designed for the EVM -12L speaker (not sure what the current driver is) so it's probably not ideally tuned to the speaker your using anyway.

I use the Friedman preset as a basis of a preset and if I change to the C45 scene it sounds almost like a dodgy tube. If I reset the amp block this goes away but then it comes back.I haven't worked out the circumstances of when.
Are you saving after you do a reset? When does the problem come back, later that same session with no preset change, after a preset change & coming back to this one or after the Axe has been shut down?

I put a pair of the new Celestion f12’s in my Mesa 1x12’s and outside of having a hard time dialing in a cab since I’ve only used them with headphones, they are consistent. I did find that the older cab does have a thinner tone and I always thought it was the particular V30 in it but turns out to be the cab itself for some reason.
Have you checked the output eq in the amp block on that scene? There was a firmware update a while ago that turned them off in some cases and I found several presets that suffered from that after I updated so had to go in and turn them back on. Are you using the same blocks and settings for the rest of the scene and just changing the amp settings? If that doesn’t work, I would try to isolate the amp and cab from everything else in the scene to rule them out and help narrow it down. It could be a funky block or setting.

It’s possible that you have a bad pot or loose pot inside your expression pedal. If you’re using a wah block with auto-engage on it could be coming on & off without your physical input on the pedal. This happened to me once & has me thinking I’d lost my mind for a little bit until I saw the wah jumping around in AxeEdit.

One point to keep in mind is the fact that the original Mesa Thiele cabs were designed for the EVM -12L speaker (not sure what the current driver is) so it's probably not ideally tuned to the speaker your using anyway.
It conforms very closely to the design given for the F12-x200 in volume and port.

It’s possible that you have a bad pot or loose pot inside your expression pedal. If you’re using a wah block with auto-engage on it could be coming on & off without your physical input on the pedal. This happened to me once & has me thinking I’d lost my mind for a little bit until I saw the wah jumping around in AxeEdit.
It occurs on all presets and patches .

I put a pair of the new Celestion f12’s in my Mesa 1x12’s and outside of having a hard time dialing in a cab since I’ve only used them with headphones, they are consistent. I did find that the older cab does have a thinner tone and I always thought it was the particular V30 in it but turns out to be the cab itself for some reason.
Have you checked the output eq in the amp block on that scene? There was a firmware update a while ago that turned them off in some cases and I found several presets that suffered from that after I updated so had to go in and turn them back on. Are you using the same blocks and settings for the rest of the scene and just changing the amp settings? If that doesn’t work, I would try to isolate the amp and cab from everything else in the scene to rule them out and help narrow it down. It could be a funky block or setting.
It's across the board.

Back
Top Bottom