Hi and Low cut - Cab page vs Preamp page

overture1922

Inspired
On manual it says:

Cab page: Low-Cut/Low Slope, Hi-Cut/High Slope – These adjusts the high-pass and low-pass filters on the individual IRs.

Preamp page: Low Cut, Low Cut Slope, High Cut, High Cut Slope – These “Master” filters for the cab block

I still don't exactly understand the differences between the two. I found that people usually prefer to cut on the preamp page and I don't understand why. I feel there is a difference beetwen the two methods, but I can´t explain or really understand it. Why should I use one or the other? Thank you

On the cab page it applies those cuts only to that IR.

On the preamp page it applies the cuts before the output of the block so they apply to all IRs.

With a single IR or Dyna-Cab, there's no difference.
With a mix of multiple IRs or Dyna-Cabs, it can give different results if you for example cut the lows on IR 1, but don't do that for IR 2.

Personally I would just use the preamp page if using multiple IRs, it's just more convenient to set them all at once.

In additiion to what @laxu said, those in the preamp page are also post-preamp, so harmonics introduced by the preamp saturation/distortion are filtered as well.

Again I am finding different opinions here...
Iaxu: with a single IR or Dyna-Cab, there's no difference.
DLC86: those in the preamp page are also post-preamp, so harmonics introduced by the preamp saturation/distortion are filtered as well.

Again I am finding different opinions here...
Iaxu: with a single IR or Dyna-Cab, there's no difference.
DLC86: those in the preamp page are also post-preamp, so harmonics introduced by the preamp saturation/distortion are filtered as well.
If you are using just a single IR and the preamp is turned off there's no difference.

The differences arise only in the cases I and laxu mentioned:
1. When using more than 1 IR
2. When the preamp introduces a good amount of saturation/distortion

Is it correct that low and high pass in the Preamp tab, even with the preamp turned off, will still adjust the output of all cabs (IR's)?

Just my two cents but the preamp page EQ sounds different to me than the cab page EQ when using the same settings. To my ears boosting sounds smoother on the amp (like adding a boost pedal in the preamp page or changing the output EQ) and cutting sounds cleaner on the cab EQ.

Last edited:
Just my two cents but the preamp page EQ sounds different to me than the cab page EQ when using the same settings. To my ears boosting sounds smoother on the amp (like adding a boost pedal in the preamp page or changing the output EQ) and cutting sounds cleaner on the cab EQ.
He wasn't talking about the amp's preamp but the cab's preamp

I think the OP is trying to understand what the difference is between the two, As in one is a filter on the I/R (cab) the other is a filter in a mic pre.

If you are using just a single IR and the preamp is turned off there's no difference.
👍I'd always assumed the same but this thread got me wondering a bit so I did a quick test to confirm - see attached: One cab with hi-lo cut settings config'd in the preamp page (cabpre off) parallel to the same cab with the same hi-lo cut settings config'd in the cab page + phase reversed. Result=silence. So it looks like hi/lo cut behaviour is exactly the same between the cab and preamp pages but the preamp page hi/lo cuts apply globally to all cab slots which can be handy if wanting to apply the same cuts to multiple cab slots in use (saves typing)

Attachments

• CABHILO-COMPARE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom