Hey Headphone users, and possibly Cliff?

lessthanone

Inspired
So a few weeks ago when I bought my Axe Fx II (3rd time around) I bought a set of Adams A7x's and a set of Beyerdynamic custom studio headphones. Since then I have played through the Adams once and have actually preferred it through headphones...weird, I know. Whats even stranger is the first 2 units I had I also tried headphones, first unit was with a set of Sony(don't remember the model and the 2nd axe fx was with a set of AKG Q701's. I hated it both those times, thought it was awful. Now with these Beyer's for some reason it is just incredible.

So, I'm thinking of bringing the Adam's back for a high end set of cans, something in the range of the Audeze lcd-x , sennheisher hd 800, the hifiman he-6 or the Denon music maniac artisan series. So my question is what are you headphone users out there using and how does it sound? And my technical question, what is the headphone output capable of on the Axe fx? The Senn's in particular are really high impedance. With higher impedance cans should I invest in a interface like and apogee duet or the focusrite forte?

So a few weeks ago when I bought my Axe Fx II (3rd time around) I bought a set of Adams A7x's and a set of Beyerdynamic custom studio headphones. Since then I have played through the Adams once and have actually preferred it through headphones...weird, I know. Whats even stranger is the first 2 units I had I also tried headphones, first unit was with a set of Sony(don't remember the model and the 2nd axe fx was with a set of AKG Q701's. I hated it both those times, thought it was awful. Now with these Beyer's for some reason it is just incredible.

So, I'm thinking of bringing the Adam's back for a high end set of cans, something in the range of the Audeze lcd-x , sennheisher hd 800, the hifiman he-6 or the Denon music maniac artisan series. So my question is what are you headphone users out there using and how does it sound? And my technical question, what is the headphone output capable of on the Axe fx? The Senn's in particular are really high impedance. With higher impedance cans should I invest in a interface like and apogee duet or the focusrite forte?

I use the Beyer DT-880 Pro (250k Ohm) and the Axe has plenty of juice to get through that impedance. Honestly, I'm of the opinion that once you get to the DT-880, it's all diminishing returns after that price point. I think Cliff uses Beyers as well. I mix with the Beyers in Reason and my mixes come out sounding great. They really are fantastic cans. I typically have the Axe Output 1 volume set to between 12:00 and 3:00 and it's quite loud.

I've been really tempted by the AUDEZE LCD‑XC, but have been using Denon AH-D2000's for awhile now. So I'm interested as well to hear some feedback on the different tiers of headphones. To be honest I can tell a difference between the cab IR's, but they either sound open or closed/compressed to me. For some reason I almost always end up with F002: 1x8 Tweed with the mic set to Null. Not sure if this is a limitation of my headphones (or my hearing), but I don't ever see anyone on the forum talking about that as their preferred cab. So I'm guessing I'm probably missing something.

To the OP, I tried a pair of Adam A7X's as my first forray into FRFR, I couldn't return them fast enough. Sounded like two tiny pop cans spitting a trebly mess back at me in comparison to the two 4x12 cabinets I was using at the time. I suppose I should have had a subwoofer or something else with them, but it wasn't a path I wanted to go down any further.

My headphones have served me so well in fact I've put off buying a pair of Atomic CLR's. I think I actually prefer them at this point as don't have to compete anymore with the family and other noises going on. I'm definitely looking to go closed backed again for that reason if I upgrade.

I've got a set of old Sennheiser HD-25-1's that are over 10 years old and have been used nearly every day during that period. Just replaced some of the padding for the headband a month ago, but I love them.

Also the DT880 Pro 250 Ohm, if you were happy with the sound of the Beyer's why go for somthing that costs a multiple of the Beyer's. Don't try to fix what aint broke dude.

I have the Audeze LCD-2s and they are fantastic. Although with my studio nearing completion I won't be a headphone player much longer. :)

To the OP, I tried a pair of Adam A7X's as my first forray into FRFR, I couldn't return them fast enough. Sounded like two tiny pop cans spitting a trebly mess back at me in comparison to the two 4x12 cabinets I was using at the time....

You did remember to activate the cabinet modeling in the Axe-Fx's Global menu and have a cab block in the grid of whatever patches you were using, right?

I'm sure you did and I only ask because without a cab block active in a patch, FRFR monitors will sound like "two tiny pop cans spitting a trebly mess", regardless of what brand or model you have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom