Here's a make you feel old post for the old guys...

Hellbat

Fractal Fanatic
40 Years ago today, Van Halen ( aka VH1 ) was released. The track I always wanted to hear the most off that album wasn't "Eruption"or "Atomic Punk". The one I always repeated was "Ice Cream Man". I love all the dynamics changes and the full tilt boogie it turns into.

Just like the generation before us remembers where they were the day JFK was assassinated ....

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when my buddy showed up with an 8-Track of V.H.I ....

Completely changed my "musical" life !

Last edited:
I unpacked my old record collection a few days ago, having recently moved. Surprise surprise there were two Van Halen albums in it, VH-1 and the one where they all stand next to Eddie holding an Explorer. And I'm not even a Van Halen fan. Never listened to a single album of them. How they made it into my collection, who knows? o_O

I was 11 when that album came out. Changed everything.
Saved up until I could afford to buy it....from the record section of the local hardware store.

That record was the match that started everything for me in the beginning and has stood the test of time ever since.

As a resident of small-town Alabama I didn't hear about Van Halen until after the 2nd album came out. I was in junior high for those of you keeping score. And Hellbat, Ice Cream man was my favorite VH song to perform.

Yeah, I heard it was the anniversary. I started getting seriously into guitar about the time Van Halen II hit, but picked up this album first. At the time, I had really only heard You Really Got Me on the radio. (Small town with no real rock stations.) I put on the record and that sound going into Running With the Devil was just the most amazing tone I had ever heard. Then when eruption came on my jaw dropped to the ground... I was done! From that moment on I knew all I wanted to do was play the guitar. (Of course there were a lot of things that led up to that... I was kind of a wanna play guy before, but I started practicing like my life depended on it after that.)

Back
Top Bottom