Here's a dumb idea...

Just too much fluff with graphics etc. To add a new drive pedal for example, fractal would have to develop the graphics too. Costs time and money and likely will slow down updates to a trickle.

Just too much fluff with graphics etc. To add a new drive pedal for example, fractal would have to develop the graphics too. Costs time and money and likely will slow down updates to a trickle.
It might be cool to have an icon in the list when you go pick say a Drive but really don’t need pictures on the grid…does anyone really not know what a TS808 looks like??

Personally, I agree that Axe Edit is starting to show its age.
And while I don’t necessarily need skeuomorphic graphics, it would be nice to have buttons be represented with buttons, and switches be represented with switches. At least on the Authentic page (the Ideal page is another story).

I think this is where the Fender TMP is ahead; If you want to engage the C45 switch on the Friedman BE100 amp sim, you just engage it in the editor just like you would on the real amp. Same with the HBE switch. While in the Axe FX these switches need completely separate amp models.

Another example: The Pre EQ switches on the Bogner XTC amp is modeled on the bright switch in the Axe FX.
If you want to engage the Pre EQ switch in the B2 position in the Axe FX model, you have to engage the bright switch and change the value to 1000.

So you have to know that:
1) the pre EQ switch is modeled on the Bright Switch
2) the value for B2 is 1000.

The only way to find this out is to use the Wiki (a separate online tool) or the Fractal Forum (also a separate online tool).

Now Imagine if you actually had a switch in the editor which said “Pre EQ”, with the possibility to set it to either the B1 or B2 position (just like on the real amp). In this case you would not need a wiki or a forum search to engage a switch which is found on the front panel of the real amp.

Again, deep diving into these settings could be done on the Ideal Page.
While the Authentic page would have buttons, switches and knobs like the real amp (similar to how the Fender TMP works). I think this is the TMP’s biggest appeal (regardless of Skeuomorphic graphics, which for many is just a gimmick).

Whether or not the design of Axe Edit looks outdated is of course subjective.
The most important thing is that it’s fast, responsive and reliable. This alone might speak against Skeuomorphic graphics!

Personally, I agree that Axe Edit is starting to show its age.
And while I don’t necessarily need skeuomorphic graphics, it would be nice to have buttons be represented with buttons, and switches be represented with switches. At least on the Authentic page (the Ideal page is another story).

I think this is where the Fender TMP is ahead; If you want to engage the C45 switch on the Friedman BE100 amp sim, you just engage it in the editor just like you would on the real amp. Same with the HBE switch. While in the Axe FX these switches need completely separate amp models.

Another example: The Pre EQ switches on the Bogner XTC amp is modeled on the bright switch in the Axe FX.
If you want to engage the Pre EQ switch in the B2 position in the Axe FX model, you have to engage the bright switch and change the value to 1000.

So you have to know that:
1) the pre EQ switch is modeled on the Bright Switch
2) the value for B2 is 1000.

The only way to find this out is to use the Wiki (a separate online tool) or the Fractal Forum (also a separate online tool).

Now Imagine if you actually had a switch in the editor which said “Pre EQ”, with the possibility to set it to either the B1 or B2 position (just like on the real amp). In this case you would not need a wiki or a forum search to engage a switch which is found on the front panel of the real amp.

Again, deep diving into these settings could be done on the Ideal Page.
While the Authentic page would have buttons, switches and knobs like the real amp (similar to how the Fender TMP works). I think this is the TMP’s biggest appeal (regardless of Skeuomorphic graphics, which for many is just a gimmick).

Whether or not the design of Axe Edit looks outdated is of course subjective.
The most important thing is that it’s fast, responsive and reliable. This alone might speak against Skeuomorphic graphics!
You make a good point. I agree it would be nice to have an all in one type model of an amp, complete with all of its unique switches baked in. Perhaps fractals next gen of modeling will operate this way. It would be cool to have skeuomorphic in the editor, but I wouldn’t want it on the unit. That way you can have an authentic looking amp, with its name correct buttons and switches and on the unit it would be standardized in some way across all models for easy editing on the hardware.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom