Here is another 1 space alternative to the ART SLA-2...

JGR

Inspired
The Stewart World 1.2

http://www.stewartaudio.com/world_1_2.php

It's more expensive than the ART, but it's also made in the USA and lighter (only 11lbs), and puts out more juice at four ohms stereo as well as mono (its the same power as the ART at eight ohm stereo).

The bass community has used this particular amp with mixed results - some folks have had problems with thermal shutdown when cranking bridged mono into four ohms (no fan just like the ART), but I doubt this would be an issue with guitars since it's a much less strenuous application (not to mention you would fry your speakers). Their more powerful amps are also quite popular with the bass folks, and got a Bass Player award back in the 90's when they did a shootout. They fall at the clear, accurate end of the sonic spectrum, at least as far as power amps go.

Anyone tried one of these?

JR

Well i saw someone else mention one in a post, but i havent tried one yet. You could also check out older peavey amps. The peavey dpc 750 is one space 12 lbs rated at 400 watts 1 channel driven in 4 ohms, 350 watts stereo in 4 ohms. 700 wats bridged mono. There is also a dpc 1000 out there but its really hard to find. I have the dpc 1400x at 15 lbs. Its rated at 8 ohms stereo 325 wats, 4 ohms 500 watts, 2 ohms 700 watts. Rated at 8 ohm bridged its 1000 watts at 8 ohm , and 1400 watts at 4 ohm

Ive ran the thing at 2 ohm stereo and its freaking insane loud. Heck im running it right now at 8 ohm stereo in two little speakers 250 watt speakers that push 102 decibals and them are loud as heck too. The amp has a compressor instead of clipping limiter for the imput and it doesnt even come on at all with my amp multiband compressed through my axe fx. I bought my dpc for 450 dollors on ebay. Some goofball was selling a dpc 1400x with now picture on ebay for a buy it now of 300 hundred, but as tempting as it was i couldnt pull on a non pictured sale.

torchlord said:
Well i saw someone else mention one in a post, but i havent tried one yet. You could also check out older peavey amps. The peavey dpc 750 is one space 12 lbs rated at 400 watts 1 channel driven in 4 ohms, 350 watts stereo in 4 ohms. 700 wats bridged mono. There is also a dpc 1000 out there but its really hard to find. I have the dpc 1400x at 15 lbs. Its rated at 8 ohms stereo 325 wats, 4 ohms 500 watts, 2 ohms 700 watts. Rated at 8 ohm bridged its 1000 watts at 8 ohm , and 1400 watts at 4 ohm

Ive ran the thing at 2 ohm stereo and its freaking insane loud. Heck im running it right now at 8 ohm stereo in two little speakers 250 watt speakers that push 102 decibals and them are loud as heck too. The amp has a compressor instead of clipping limiter for the imput and it doesnt even come on at all with my amp multiband compressed through my axe fx. I bought my dpc for 450 dollors on ebay. Some goofball was selling a dpc 1400x with now picture on ebay for a buy it now of 300 hundred, but as tempting as it was i couldnt pull on a non pictured sale.

I thought I read a post here on Digital power amps and that they didn't sound all that great when used with the Axe? is that not the case. Ether way at almost 1K new the Art is a better value than the Peavey 1400x but if you can find the deal on a used one and they sound good why not. The Stewart World 1.2 looks to be promising but at $699.00 even though the new the Art is not U.S. made for now it is very attractive mony wise.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time befor we start to see more Switch Mode power amps that are single space with some good wattage in the $4-500 range.

Sixstring said:
I thought I read a post here on Digital power amps and that they didn't sound all that great when used with the Axe? is that not the case.

There is no such thing as a "digital power amp". There are amps with switching power supplies, and there are class D amps.

You might make the case that the latter have a 'sound', but switching supply has no effect on audio.

Thanks for the info AdmiralB... I found this or rather stole it from the Wiki for thoes that are looking for a further detailed explanation.

A Class D amplifier or switching amplifier is an electronic amplifier which, in contrast to the active resistance used in linear mode AB-class amplifiers, uses the switching mode of transistors to regulate power delivery. The amplifier, therefore, features high power efficiency (low energy losses), which additionally results in lower weight by eliminating bulky heat sinks. Additionally, if voltage conversion is necessary, the on-the-way high switching frequency allows the bulky audio transformers to be replaced by small inductors. Low pass LC-filtering smoothes the pulses out and restores the signal shape on the load.
Class D amplifiers are often used in sound reinforcement system power amplifiers, where a high output is required. The Crest Audio CD3000, for example, is a class D power amplifier that is rated at 1500 watts per channel, yet it weighs only 21 kg (46 lb).[1] A small number of high-output bass amplifiers also use class D amplification technology, such as the Yamaha BBT500H bass amplifier which is rated at 500 watts, and yet it weighs less than 5 kg (11 lb).[2]
The term "class-D" is sometimes misunderstood as meaning a "digital" amplifier. The quantization of the output signal at the power stage can be controlled by either an analog signal or a digital signal. Only in the latter case would an amplifier be using fully digital amplification.

Back
Top Bottom