Help

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
Help, I need somebody.
Not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone….

Never have those words been more profound. It is with heavy heart that I tell you, my Fractal Audio friends, that I am gravely ill. I have been diagnosed with stage-4 kidney failure. Stage-5 is end stage kidney failure. I checked with @Admin M@ prior to posting this, and he graciously permitted me to post this. Thanks again Matt.

At this point my treatment options are limited to dialysis, a kidney transplant or death. Obviously my best option is a kidney transplant. I am reaching out to anybody and everybody to consider donating a kidney so that I can live.

As you consider kidney donation, here are a few facts you should know
  • You only need one kidney to live a healthy, long life.
  • Donor surgery is done laparoscopically, meaning through tiny incisions.
  • The recuperation period is usually fairly quick, generally two weeks.
  • The cost of your evaluation and surgery will be covered by my insurance. The transplant center can give you extensive information on this.
The first step is for you to complete a confidential online health history questionnaire. You can take the evaluation at LivingDonorTemple.org. The transplant center I have been working with is in Temple, Texas. Once you have completed the questionnaire, a living donor coordinator will review your information. If you are a possible candidate, the coordinator will contact you to review your questionnaire and answer any questions you ay have.

The good news is that I am now on the national list to receive a kidney transplant. Unfortunately, the wait is around 5 years. (And you thought the wait for a III was long.) The only way to speed up the process is for some special person to volunteer to give up one of their kidneys so I can live. I admit that initially, I was very reluctant to ask for a kidney. I could not bring myself to ask such a thing. I now realize that there are special people in the world who will give such a gift. I now realize that it would be a great blessing not just to me, but also to the kind soul who gives me the gift of life.

I have been part of the Fractal Audio family for the past 10 years. I would like to stay a part of that family for another 10 years. That will only happen if someone steps forward to give. I am asking you to prayerfully consider being that special, generous person. It would be amazing if the forum were the vehicle that connects me to the person who literally saves my life. Please.

John Crafton
aka Geezerjohn

So sorry to hear this bud!

I'm not a candidate, but I have posted this on a few other areas for others that might be able to lend an...organ.

Stay strong my friend. I cannot imagine what you're going through, but sending love and hope all the same.

R

So sorry to hear this bud!

I'm not a candidate, but I have posted this on a few other areas for others that might be able to lend an...organ.

Stay strong my friend. I cannot imagine what you're going through, but sending love and hope all the same.

R
Thanks for your kind words and for the assist. Greatly appreciated.

I also wish you the best... but there's good news in it. You're lucky.

1. Kidney is the relatively the organ that modern medicine can replace (dialysis)- so you can't die waiting like everything else...
2. People only need one, so you can get someone's spare (like you said)
and 3- When someone dies they donate two of them not just one, to help to people.

You can live a healthy long life on dialysis- and still do whatever you want-- a lot of the data out there that shows it's difficulty are very skewed.... as long as it's your only issue you're fine. It's difficult on some, typically because kidney failure is a side effect of dozens of other concurring medical issues- but if kidneys are your only problem- you're in great shape.

I'd also say- don't be afraid to go to dialysis before a transplant- working with what kidney function you have left (like strict diet etc) and the process of dialysis- being aware of fluids/what you're eating, etc- will be an advantage after you have your transplant.

My mom probably around the age I am now at 34, in 1995 found out one of her kidneys was 'gone' and the other had about 15% of life left in it, she made that 15% last for maybe 2-3 years, went through peritoneal dialysis about 2 years (would not recommend- unless things have changed- they probably have) and then regular dialysis. She got her kidney transplant in 2003... it is still working now. Early this year, her transplant kidney started to fail so she's been and out of the hospital since March, but is on dialysis again and waiting for a another kidney.

A transplanted kidney from a dead person you are not related to- typically lasts 8-12 years, my mom's lasted over 16 and still is working about 10-20% but not enough to support her electrolytes and blood pressure.

I should add- if she started dialysis again earlier this year, instead of trying to save the kidney she would have been better a lot quicker without the hospital visits.

I mailed off today all the stuff to get on the list again- she's 57 now and a great candidate for another transplant because she took such good care of her first one.

I wish you the best- and if you need help/questions/advice- me/my mom is hear for you...

BUT don't be afraid of anything- you can live a normal life- it won't stop you from anything.

I am sure I’m not the only one here Hoping to hear some encouraging news from You, John , and whatever ones faith or belief system (or lack of one...) we can use this space to send good vibes (cheesy but real IMO) ..My early New Years resolution is to be more positive In my interpersonal stuff...and when you care you say something.

FWIW, I did send him a short DM earlier this month and he did reply but, it didn't get real deep. Just let him know he was on my mind, in my prayers and that he was missed in the forum. He responded in a few days to say he appreciated the kind words.

Good vibes from here too John. Just seeing your original post today. You’ve been a staple around this forum since I joined , and I only remember you writing good things.
Keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom