Help with Zakk Wylde Tone

deakle

Experienced
This may sound like a dumb question to some but it is something I have struggled with for quite a while. I have a preset that achieves a pretty good Zakk Wylde tone. However, I just cannot seem to pull of the patented "Zakk Wylde Pinch Harmonics". I know all of the mechanics to get a pinch harmonic, but mine are very high pitched and do not have that lower end, punch sound that Zakk's achieve. What am I missing? I use a fairly heavy gauge string, .056 on the low E, I have the gain punched up. But they still come off with a high pitched, 80's Hollywood Strip harmonic. Any suggestions? Maybe you could chime in @bishop5150 as you do a great job on the Zakk era Ozzy tunes in your live shows. I need some help. Thanks!

Mainly depends on the spot where you do the pinch harmonic at. Take the No More Tears main rhythm for example. Pinch harmonic is the 3rd fret on the low D string. Try to mimic that one. I find I have to do it more over the neck pickup area for it to sound right. Try moving the spot where you’re pinching it at to see what kind of results you get.

I think Todd is right, it does depend on what notes you are playing so just experiment a little and find those spots.
There are a few different spots so just pick around the space in between your pickups and maybe even above your pickups like Mr Bishop suggested.

Mainly depends on the spot where you do the pinch harmonic at. Take the No More Tears main rhythm for example. Pinch harmonic is the 3rd fret on the low D string. Try to mimic that one. I find I have to do it more over the neck pickup area for it to sound right. Try moving the spot where you’re pinching it at to see what kind of results you get.
Thanks @bishop5150! You da’ man! BTW, I am waiting anxiously for more “Surfcaster” recordings. Great stuff!

I think Todd is right, it does depend on what notes you are playing so just experiment a little and find those spots.
There are a few different spots so just pick around the space in between your pickups and maybe even above your pickups like Mr Bishop suggested.
Thanks!

Ok, so this is my Homer Simpson “DOH !” moment. I moved up near the neck pickup like you suggested, I had been doing it at the bridge pickup, and voila! There it is! Thank you very much! I am self taught and grew up playing in bar bands during “Hair Metal’s” heyday. Being self taught, I picked up a lot of bad habits, and also just learned some things wrong. Now that I am older and grayer, and am a home studio player, I am trying my best to correct the mistakes of my youth. I have been doing a lot of reading on music theory and utilizing YouTube to its maximum potential. I have had a lot of “Ah-Ha” moments where I suddenly realize, “so that’s why that is played like that”. The internet can be a great thing if it is used for good. Thanks guys!

I think also depending on how "picky" you wanna get with it, some of his signature squeals timbre comes from the EMG 81/85s. I can hit the PH on any pickup/guitar but seems like when you pick up a 24.5" scale guitar with EMGs, its like "yup, there it is".

I heard a long time ago that he uses the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. No idea if it’s true or not but I run mine that way. I have a meet and greet with him at the Ozzy show here in Houston in September. I’m going to ask.

Back
Top Bottom