Help with tone

cyn

Can anyone suggest an amp/cab combo and drive/delay combo to get this sweet, long sustaining tone?

I love that tone. Here is Neil Young's version, that guy is pretty good too ;):

Sounds like a Fender amp about to explode! I think it's just the volume and the guitar interacting.

In your video I hear more delay and reverb than in Neil Young's version. It makes the sustain seem even bigger.

Is there any kind of power soak ability in the AX8 so I can get that sound at lower volume? Thanks for your reply!
Sorry but....Seriously?! Crank the Master in the amp block and turn down Out 1 on the AX8.

Is there any kind of power soak ability in the AX8 so I can get that sound at lower volume? Thanks for your reply!
The point of a power soak is to allow you to turn the amp volume up to get more amp gain, but to keep the audible volume less.

There is no need for this on a Fractal because the Amp block has the Level control.

Adjust the amp Input Drive, Master Volume, etc however you want and control the overall volume with the Level.

Won’t get that tone without extreme volume.....need the interaction between the guitar and amp...feedback.....can’t do that without volume.

That is the thing...you can sound ok at at low volume....but everything guitar .....it’s all about volume man.

I'm opting to keep output 1 at 12:00. I play in a band with over 40 songs, ranging from clean ballads to full on metal. I don't want to mess with the output (rather opt for controlling volumes elsewhere internally). If I did, i would be constantly stooping down to adjust every dang song. I have managed to keep things internal so far (meaning output 1 stays the same) and have gotten sweet clean ballads and Black Sabbath sounds, quite a range, by just adjusting cab and amp combos and internal controls. It is just that ring forever sustain, I just can't seem to nail it. In my case, I really do need a "power soak" capability. Has anyone gotten close with anything inside I might try? The funny thing is, I have a tiny little vox combo that sustains just fine at bedroom level so that blows the "you need volume" argument for me. But, I can't seem to duplicate it on the Ax8. What am I missing??

In my case, I really do need a "power soak" capability.
Did you read what I wrote? There's no purpose whatsoever for a power soak in a device like the AX8... Because you have control over the overall volume relative to the volume of the Amp. You get the same net effect buy cranking the Amp block and reducing the Level control.

Note that I'm talking about the Level control on the Amp block, not the Output knob level.

Little combo amp in the right location in your room with the guitar in the correct spot will produce sustain for days at some volume...

How about a Fernandez sustainer pickup?

I'm opting to keep output 1 at 12:00. I play in a band with over 40 songs, ranging from clean ballads to full on metal. I don't want to mess with the output (rather opt for controlling volumes elsewhere internally). If I did, i would be constantly stooping down to adjust every dang song. I have managed to keep things internal so far (meaning output 1 stays the same) and have gotten sweet clean ballads and Black Sabbath sounds, quite a range, by just adjusting cab and amp combos and internal controls. It is just that ring forever sustain, I just can't seem to nail it. In my case, I really do need a "power soak" capability. Has anyone gotten close with anything inside I might try? The funny thing is, I have a tiny little vox combo that sustains just fine at bedroom level so that blows the "you need volume" argument for me. But, I can't seem to duplicate it on the Ax8. What am I missing??
a "power soak" was used to dime the Master Volume on the amp, while keeping the perceived volume low in the room. you can do this in the AX8 using the Level control in the amp block to compensate for high Master Volume settings.

if the vox amp can sustain, then the axe can too. is the vox amp facing your guitar? is your axe speaker setup not? sustain can happen with clean tones, so it doesn't have to be a super loud amount of volume, but yes, volume does specifically affect sustain.

Thank you all for the replies! I did read what you wrote unix-guy, but I guess I wasn't understanding. I thought you meant I had to turn up the output knob on the front of the Ax8. Now that you clarified, that might be what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom