Help with the FR-12 crossover mod.

Which tuning do you prefer

• Total voters
Thank you @Greg Ferguson
That you could make out any articulation out of my noisy recording is remarkable.

I agree, as does a small majority of votes, that the mod with the crossover correctly tuned is the way to go. I will leave it tuned properly. And yes Fender has stomped their peckers pretty hard with this one. Perhaps they will be receptive to a board revision.

Thank you @Greg Ferguson
That you could make out any articulation out of my noisy recording is remarkable.
I credit the headphones.

I agree, as does a small majority of votes, that the mod with the crossover correctly tuned is the way to go. I will leave it tuned properly. And yes Fender has stomped their peckers pretty hard with this one. Perhaps they will be receptive to a board revision.
I hope so too. It could turn out to be a black eye for them as more people become aware of the problems. I think that right now they’re glossing over the issue and not treating it seriously now that it’s becoming a matter of discussion here and on other sites. People talk and want things done correctly.

FWIW I applaud what you are doing to make it better, but as a backline focused cab it wouldn't matter much to me either way.

If I pick up a pair and use them on stage for stage volume, I would most likely be monitoring with IEMs anyway. I can't see lugging 1 or 2 of the Fenders and 1 or 2 wedges. So I would just pull the trigger on IEMs (since I don't currently use them) if chose to use the Fenders as backline cabs.

Either way flatter is always better and hiss is always bad. So win-win.

First up: Thank you so much for doing all of this and openly sharing your work @WKSmith !
I voted #1 because I slightly prefer the subdued highs for my playing style, which tends to live more in the overdriven realm vs. clean...
I believe tuning #2 would be great for super-clean sounds and acoustic guitar, for my crunchy and higher gain sounds, I actually prefer some highend cut.
Anyways, thanks again and I'm looking forward to buying anything you might be able to offer as an upgrade for this overall exceptional piece of kit! Cheers man!

Actually preferred #1, especially with gain. #2 is ”smoother” to my ears, but on the track with gain, there is a “hollowness” that I hear that bugs me. I don’t get that same response when listening to #1 with gain. On the clean tones, it’s a toss-up.

First all, quite impressive work in the main thread and can only mention my appreciation to the work you've been undertaking @WKSmith - would be another happy customer here of whatever you decide to put out there reg. the FRs!

Reg. the poll, I preferred 1 as it seems to make the pick attack transient clearer.

All the best!

Back
Top Bottom