Help with something simple ?

Wester_J

Hey guys,

I have a situation here that I believe is probably fairly simple but for some strange
reason, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out. I have an Axe FX ultra
and just got the MFC – 101 Mark controller last week. I was able to easily program the
controller so that switches 6 through 17 are simply effects, such as delay, tremolo,
overdrive,reverb etc.... What I cannot figure out how to make switches 1 through 5
act as basic clean or distorted amp models so that I can just add effects to basic
sounds assigned to switches 1-5. currently switches 1-5 (if i were to click each, would read)
IASw 2, IASw 3, IASw 4...etc. switch one reads GBL "Alberts Lead"
What am i doing wrong here..please , please help!

Thanks Tony

Check the banksize on the MFC. Page 17 of the manual. It sounds like you have your banksize set to zero. Set it to 5.

Check the banksize on the MFC. Page 17 of the manual. It sounds like you have your banksize set to zero. Set it to 5.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply , I do have it set to 5. Should anything in particular be automatically set on switches 1-5? I have effects set up from 6-17

Thanks !

this seems strange, but set the bank size to anything other than 5, exit the menu, then set it back to 5. that seems to solve similar issues.

let us know.

this seems strange, but set the bank size to anything other than 5, exit the menu, then set it back to 5. that seems to solve similar issues.

let us know.

Hi Chris,

I guess my main question is ... do i have to assign anything to banks 1-5 or should there be something there by default? because right now it says IASw on each bank from 1-5

thanks!

IASw means it's not a Preset bank but an IA Switch. by "default" it should call up Presets.

did you do what i suggested?

Hi
IASw means it's not a Preset bank but an IA Switch. by "default" it should call up Presets.

did you do what i suggested?
Chris,

This worked , Thanks!

My last question is, can i assign any presets i like to banks 1-5 ? And if so, why is it that i can't call up any or even ALL effects i want (set from 6-17..reverbs..delays..etc ) with those selected presets (1-5) Hope that makes sense !

Thanks

The presets are in order on the Axe. Swap preset positions on the Axe if you want them in a different position on the MFC.

I don't exactly understand the effects question, but if you have a switch for Reverb 1 on the MFC and no Reverb 1 block is in the Preset on the Axe, that switch won't do anything.

You may be looking at the concept wrong. Although the MFC does provide a default set of effects assigned to the IA switches, it does't change them to suit whatever preset is selected. So if the effect you want is not assigned to a switch, you won't have control over that effect when you call up the preset.

For example, let's say you have a preset with a Chorus in it. By default, when you select the Preset IA #10 will turn the Chorus on and off because it is the default effect block assigned to that IA switch. You can change that if you want it elsewhere, but this is where it is if you are using the stock assignments. But let's say you have a Formant effect in your preset that you want to control on/off. None of the IA switches are set to control that effect by default, so it will look like it's not there at all (no red/green lights, etc). You would need to assign one of the IAs to control the Formant and it would then show actively when that Preset is selected. Page 21-22 in the manual for some example and instruction info.

Chris has a great video on this, and even though it was done a while back it is still good instructional information on what you're looking for. I'd watch the whole thing, but this subject matter is about 14:30 in.

Last edited:
Chris has a great video on this, and even though it was done a while back it is still good instructional information on what you're looking for. I'd watch the whole thing, but this subject matter is about 14:30 in.

+1
Chris' videos are super helpful (just like Chris!), and I'd recommend looking over his site to review his other videos as well.

Back
Top Bottom