Help with Solid State Power Amp choice????

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Ok....getting lots of info on going FRFR and now want to get info on great solid state power amps that are in stock and not overseas. I use a Mesa Boogie 2:90 now and love it......just time to retube all 8 6L6 tubes and will cost just under $200 with shipping. Ya dig?

So.....I need the same output of the Mesa 2:90 but in a solid state and must sound very very good. I am in the price range of $1000 or less.

Again...I may keep the 2:90.....but want to know the other SS options....and what I may lose if I go tube to SS. Thanks!

Oh....must be ultra reliable....my Mesa is a workhorse and NEVER had an issue.....so must be high end companies...not Carvin or Art.

Crest Audio CA series, maybe a CA 6, it will deliver 400 watts a side @ 8 ohms and run you around $900- 1,000 new. Oh yeah and they weigh about 40 Lbs. Or you can look at QSC CMX Series, CMX800V around the same price and specs, you will find these in a lot of big pro sound installs.

Why not Carvin? I don't have experience with any of these mentioned power amps but you can get that kind of power for way less, and I haven't seen a single bad review of their amps.

Class A/B, and as much power as you care to lug around, to compare to your Mesa. To me, the single RU SS amps may be compact, but do not pack enough punch.

I think the QSC PLX-1104 is a great choice. I've a/b'd it with several Carvin SS amps (DCM 1204/1000) and multiple tube power amps (Fryette 2-50-2/2-90-2, Peavey 60/60, Mesa 2:90 and my current Randall RT2/50). The end result was always the same: with appropriate tweaking...they all could be made to sound the same as each other.

The reason I went with and suggest the PLX is that it only weighs 13 lbs and appears? to be a step up from the GX line. I think I paid around 700 for it...can't remember. It puts out somewhere around 325 watts per side @ 8ohms and I think 550 watts per side @ 4 ohms.

After checking with QSC if it would void any warranty (does not)...I painted the face of mine Satin Black to match.

One other thing to keep in mind, if your just looking to power the Axe only the ART or Carvin will do. I have had my SLA-2 in use for quite a wile, giging out or making it sweat at home for hours on end without any problems. For what you pay for these amps the quality is not bad at all when compared to the amps I have posted @ 3 times the coin.

The amps I have suggested, QSC Crest Audio are built for pushing a PA with full spectrum audio and not just guitar and are really way over kill unless your going to be giging every single night.

Also some food for thought...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14104

So the Art SLA-2 or the Rocktron Velocity 300?

Guess it is down to those for the 1 spacers.

What is better in the 2 spacers?

And why if so?

Tremonti said:
So the Art SLA-2 or the Rocktron Velocity 300?

Guess it is down to those for the 1 spacers.

What is better in the 2 spacers?

And why if so?

I have not had a chance to play through the Rocktron though I hear it sounds pretty good based on posts here on the board. You also get some extra EQ'ing options on the rocktron which I personally don't know if you need them but if your using a cab it sound like it could be a +.

The SLA-2 will give you 50 extra watts of clean head room on both sides and a few hundred more when bridged, a huge + if your pushing a 412 or two.

In the two space category you have a lot more choices and can spend a grip. Generally anything in the price range your looking at will do so brands aren't really a big issue. If you want to go budget the Carvin will do though I would look at the DCM series before the DCM L , I'm still not to big the the whole Class D thing though improvements are being made availability is not there yet (at lest in the US). Some of the older QSC amps are pretty good as well, the RMX series rock, I have 3 older RMX 1500's (10+ years old) that we use for are monitoring system and they are still going strong but weigh a ton.

Personally for the money I think you will be happy with the Velocity 300 or the ART. Or if you want to get on a waiting list you can try the new Class D from Pro Audio. Paulmapp8306 and Lightningboy seem to be very pleased with this amp. Paulmapp8306 did a comparison with a VHT 2/50/2 another quality tube power amp. He also like it when compared to the ART and the Rocktron so you have some choices in the single space arena. The two space arena you just need to decide how much money you want to spend and what brand you like the most.

Choose the ARTS SLA 2.

The Class D I would not advice because their is no track record, no official tests or reviews, no manual with al the specs, nothing about garantee, no bridge mode and very bad custumer service. More over the price has been increased with more then 100% the last few months and it is still unclear when they reach the market.

Tried both the Rocktron V300, and a Crown XLS1000. The Crown, which is Class D, was not a good choice. The Rocktron, while it sounded OK, did not compare to the stereo tube amp I had been, and am still using. What's strange, is the Rocktron seemed more compressed than my tube amp, and sounded as if it only had half the power. At this point, it's seeming like I'll need to go big on a SS amp to begin to compete with my tube amp. Not knocking the Rocktron, just saying that was my experience with it.

Sixstring said:
If you want to go budget the Carvin will do though I would look at the DCM series before the DCM L , I'm still not to big the the whole Class D thing though improvements are being made availability is not there yet (at lest in the US).
I couldn't disagree more. I've been using a Carvin DCM-1540L in my PA for well over a year now and find it to be cleaner, quieter, and much cooler running then the Crown amp it replaced and at less then half the weight. That amp was a great choice.
I also have two ART-SLA2 amps that are used in guitar rigs, although the only one being used at present is the one my Ultra runs through. If you need more power then the ART-SLA2 (which I seriously doubt) I WOULD strongly suggest the Carvin DCM-1540L.

Tremonti said:
I see the ART SLA-2 has banana outputs.....weird....how do you all wire this to cabinet?

You can do it few ways, one is to cut a speaker cable in half and tin the ends with solder and capture them in the terminals. Or 2 just buy a Banana to 1/4" adapter.

I couldn't disagree more. I've been using a Carvin DCM-1540L in my PA for well over a year now and find it to be cleaner, quieter, and much cooler running then the Crown amp it replaced and at less then half the weight. That amp was a great choice.
I also have two ART-SLA2 amps that are used in guitar rigs, although the only one being used at present is the one my Ultra runs through. If you need more power then the ART-SLA2 (which I seriously doubt) I WOULD strongly suggest the Carvin DCM-1540L.

My bad... I was referring to Class D amps in general and thought the whole DCM L series were Class D. The DCM 1540, 2000, 3000, 3800 L are class A/B amps. The DCM 1000 and 2004 L are Class D.

JGR said:
If you want high quality and single space/lightweight, these are probably one of your best bets:

http://www.stewartaudio.com/view_produc ... egory_id=6

Yup... for got all about Stewart Audio. looked at those a wile back and was shyed away by the price tag. @ $1,000 for 200 watts a side @ 8 Ohms was just to much. Also not familiar with Class G power amps, I've read they are supposed to be less efficient than Class D power. I'm not quite sure how that equates to the over all sound.

Sixstring said:
JGR said:
If you want high quality and single space/lightweight, these are probably one of your best bets:

Yup... for got all about Stewart Audio. looked at those a wile back and was shyed away by the price tag. @ $1,000 for 200 watts a side @ 8 Ohms was just to much. Also not familiar with Class G power amps, I've read they are supposed to be less efficient than Class D power. I'm not quite sure how that equates to the over all sound.

Stewart is pretty popular it the bass guitar world - they are generally described as sounding extremely clean and transparent though that is somewhat nebulous. Gallien Krueger has been using class G power in a lot of their amps for quite some time FWIW. The Stews are indeed pricey - better to keep an eye out for them on the used market.

If you want a very transparent amp, loads of headroom, loads of power, solid state, and a great return policy if you don't like it, I'd give the Carvin DCM1000L, DCM2000L or the DCM3000L a good once over, I bet you will be pleased.

Could you get something cheaper, sure. Could you get something better, maybe. Could you get better bang for your buck, I think not.

P.S. I use a DCM150 for a LOT of stuff at home, monitor mixes, mains, etc. I think the DCM200L is probably the way to go for a 1U versatile unit.

Spoons said:
I think the DCM200L is probably the way to go for a 1U versatile unit.
I've got one, it didn't take long for me to revert to using one of my ART SLA2's. The DCM-200L just didn't have enough headroom before the clipping LED's started blinking (even in bridged mode), and that was at home by myself. I'm certain that with a full band there's no way that amp could keep up.

t0aj15 said:
Spoons said:
I think the DCM200L is probably the way to go for a 1U versatile unit.
I've got one, it didn't take long for me to revert to using one of my ART SLA2's. The DCM-200L just didn't have enough headroom before the clipping LED's started blinking (even in bridged mode), and that was at home by myself. I'm certain that with a full band there's no way that amp could keep up.
I don't think I read the original post well; you are correct - not for a full band thing (although it's really nice for home practice)!! He should go with the DCM3000L for full band on stage use; for sure!

EDIT: Fixed typo.

I'm using a Carvin DCML3000 to power 2 4x12s. I had a Carvin DCML 1540 first and it was being pushed pretty hard. I can say that when it was being taxed it couldn't deliver. I noticed when I was playing some heavy distorted rhythm stuff and tried to drop in a palm mute it wouldn't have anything behind it like it just ran out of breath. So I figured I'd move up the ladder to the next the DCML3000 andeverything sounds great I never run it anywhere near max and with the extra power i have plenty of headroom and no lack of push when i need it. You can always have more power and not use it but when you have too little there's nothing you can do. I'd say 500-600 watts is a great way to replace a 100 watt tube head.

Back
Top Bottom