Help with recording...

So i am very new to recording... i have decided to pickup cubase 5.1 but am still looking at others. for recording guitar im not sure exactly what i should do.. i assume my signal line should be like this

guitar - axefx ultra - patch - axefx output 1 - (some sort of mixer or AI.. sound card?) - cubase track.

yea so clearly i dunno what i am doing... from the time leaving the axefx to when its in cubase (or other DAW) what should/needs to happen? i understand i should record dry then send it back to the ultra then back to cubase wet..... can anyone sum that process up a little? i know there are many things you can do but everything i seem to find online is about recording wet with a mic and of course not with the axe fx... thanks for the help guys!

Hello. :)

Yes, your signal line seems to be just fine,
all you need is an audio interface/audio card.
There are many to chose, firewire, usb, PCI + dock etc.
AxeFx should most likely work with any of them so it's more about
your PC or MAc and its OS, is it compatible with this certain audio interface,
I am sure you can find answer to that question within interface's specs.
As for recording, recording dry guitar signal in your DAW, then sending it to AxeFx
and then that back to your DAW (also called re-amping, there are many topics on that subject in forum)
is not the must IMO, specially if you're new to recording and you wanna start with basic recording.
For starters you could try with most simple version,
guitar to AxeFx, from AxeFx analog outputs to interface and record straight to DAW.
So all you need is an interface with 2 inputs if you wanna record stereo, XLR ones would be the best
as you have XLR balanced outputs on AxeFx as well.

thanks for the responds! one thing that i seem to be confused with is some AI's have preamps or even multiple preamps?... eh why would it need a preamp it cant have the same means as say a axefx ultra preamp..? and why would it need multiple preamps? super noob i know.

Well built-in preamps are always good as they boost signal nicely
which also help with reducing noise in a way, leads to better AD conversion etc,
all good with that, most of the audio interfaces nowadays have some sort of built-in preamps/s.
AxeFx's preamp is more like guitar preamp as you have tons of options like gain, deep EQ etc.
But no need to be bothered with that, just grab any audio interface that would work with your computer,
2 or more inputs and outputs (coax Spdif would be nice for digital re-amping in the future),
M-Audio, E-MU, Presonus, Apogee, anything you want.
Most of those interfaces should work with Cubase 5 but check out the specs, just to be sure.

You can post link to some of your favorite interfaces
so we could help you to pick the "best" one. :)

thanks again muris! im looking around for some now ill post them when i can narrow it down but for my DAW specs

cubase 5.1
window 7 x64 bit
3ghz core 2 quad core
4 gb ddr2 ram
2 TB hhd (total space)

oh then of course the axe fx ultra and my guitar which is 8 string tuned to F# standard.

edit: am i right to think pci is most reliable? pci would have the fastest transfer rate so...

Your PC seems to be just fine for recording, plenty of power.
As for PCI interface, most of the people prefer usb or firewire
because it's portable and you can hook it different machine without much hassle.
PCI might be the most reliable but usb or firewire are not that bad either,
many people use them without any problems when it comes to data transferring.

Back
Top Bottom