Help with power amp selection

MMFB

So,I've narrowed my power amp selection down to two (or three). Either one of the Matrix GT models (1000 or 800) or a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700. Does anyone have any experience with both of these? I've read reviews of both, watched videos for both, used the search function, etc. I don't think the difference in wattage will be a deciding factor but what does everyone think?
Thanks!

Yes, thank you. But, I'm looking for a rack system.
Well I believe the PS170 and PS700 are the same except for more power and stereo for the 700. But @yek seems to like the Power Stage better than the Matrix gt1000. His is the first review between the two that I've seen.

Well I believe the PS170 and PS700 are the same except for more power and stereo for the 700. But @yek seems to like the Power Stage better than the Matrix gt1000. His is the first review between the two that I've seen.

PS700 also has more I/O and a cab sim. And much more expensive.

I really like the fact that there are tone controls on the front. But, I like all the I/O being in the back, like the Matrix has. Price is comparable. Just didn't know if there was a sound/tone difference. Everyone raves about how well the Matrix units and Fractal unit sound together. I was all set to get a Matrix unit until I saw a post about the SD unit. Now it's a toss up between the two. That's why I was hoping there were peeps who could chime in about the benefits if either.
M

I really like the fact that there are tone controls on the front. But, I like all the I/O being in the back, like the Matrix has. Price is comparable. Just didn't know if there was a sound/tone difference. Everyone raves about how well the Matrix units and Fractal unit sound together. I was all set to get a Matrix unit until I saw a post about the SD unit. Now it's a toss up between the two. That's why I was hoping there were peeps who could chime in about the benefits if either.
M

Did you read Yek's conclusion? He mentions the sound difference between the two.

Conclusion: confirmation that I do prefer the PowerStage over the Matrix GT1000FX. For the reasons stated above: transparency, less congested/saturated lows and low mids. It was quite clear to me really. The Matrix sounded more boxy in comparison. Also, the PowerStage seems less sensitive, doesn't require finding a "sweet spot".

Bear in mind that I've been using the Matrix for many years now, with great satisfaction. So zooming in on differences is nitpicking to some extent, and the differences may not be enough justification to swap gear.

Yes, thank you! I was hoping there would be more input. He makes some good points, which has me leaning more towards the SD.

Another vote for the SD here. I have both the 170 & 700 and IMO these are THE perfect modeling amps period. I've yet to find a better amp made by anyone for that purpose. As for rear mounted jacks it's not really a problem having front mounted input jacks because the supplied rack mount brackets have large enough holes in them that it's easy to feed cables from the back of the rig through either of those holes to the front.

How quiet is the fan on the SD unit? Is it as quiet as the 2U 1000gt. Just curious.
Thanks!

I have also recently acquired the 170W version of the amp and I must say it's the best
the axe has ever sounded through my 4x12. Very clear with a nice punch in the lows
and snappy highs. I don't know whether it's just a matter
of the power amp or the underlying improvements to the amp modelling (I had tested
the matrix gt1000fx at fw Q8.02) but it's definitely performing great. With the matrix I always
felt it had a sort of a wooly undefined low-end, which I never managed to dial out with the
speaker page parameters. As far as the fan noise goes, the 170W version is quieter than the 1u matrix.
I don't have experience with the 2u version.

Reactions: yek
How quiet is the fan on the SD unit? Is it as quiet as the 2U 1000gt. Just curious.
Thanks!

The SD 700 is a heatsink design, it has a small fan only for when you overheat it, so you'll never hear it work unless there's an issue. It'll work 1s when you turn the unit on, just to check. If you plan to rack the 700, you need to let some space above. The sound quality is clearly above the matrix 800 I had. More solid and clear.

Back
Top Bottom