Help with my first Reverb purchase (it's a PRS)

nathan_393

Inspired
Hey folks! I'm not exactly in the market at the moment, but this McCarty 594 popped up on Reverb and, uh, suddenly I feel like I'm drifting into the market.

I've never purchased anything on Reverb before, but thanks to third-party Amazon sellers and eBay, I am very... cautious.

This guitar seems like it's a great deal, and a McCarty 594 is one of my white whales. Some questions:

1. From the description, it seems like the case and case candy are missing. The seller says he'll order new case and case candy from PRS, but does that mean that I won't have any paperwork that proves the guitar is authentic? Is that going to be a long-term problem for me?
  2. This price seems very fair (maybe even amazing!), but given that I can't try it before I buy it, if I get it and hate it, do you think I'd be able to sell it myself for a similar value? (I haven't played a McCarty 594 and the only ones at shops within 150km are SEs, so I can't exactly demo one either. But I know I love Les Pauls, but wish they were more modern in build.)
  3. The details list the instrument as a 2022 model, but the headstock seems to say 2020. Is that a red flag?
  4. Is there anything here that would prevent you from buying this guitar?
Edit: removed the link, turned down the sale. Thanks everybody for talking me through this from all sides. Appreciate you all! Not a lot of forums like this would help restrain their peers from indulging.

Last edited:
Oh, and one other question. For any Canadians on here who have used Reverb to purchase things internationally, do any of you have anything you think I should be aware of before biting the bullet?

Research the seller as much as you can! Ask for additional pics to be sent to make sure it's the actual guitar, Ask why he doesn't still have the case? that of anything is suspect especially of such an expensive guitar. All 5 of my guitars have been bought from Reverb!

EDIT: I just looked at the listing (didn't see the link the first read through), seems legit and he is willing to send more pics! If I were in the market I would probably do that deal after some good communication.

Last edited:
Maybe there's a forum member here in the area of Nicolas's Boutique in Fayetteville, AR?

Hello fellow Canadian.
With that many reviews I wouldn't worry much at all, he's a heavy gear trader.
That said, the case thing is a turn off, does he plan on ordering the new case before or after purchase, would be my question. Definetly do not get it shipped without a hardcase.

So also be prepared to pay Reverb taxes, as well as Duties / Import Charges on top of what you see with Reverb , UPS is the worst for us Canadians fee wise, but I've also never had a issue with them aside from their high fees

Research the seller as much as you can! Ask for additional pics to be sent to make sure it's the actual guitar, Ask why he doesn't still have the case? that of anything is suspect especially of such an expensive guitar. All 5 of my guitars have been bought from Reverb!
The seller says he lost the case in a move, but I will definitely ask for more specifics!
Maybe there's a forum member here in the area of Nicolas's Boutique in Fayetteville, AR?
👀

The instrument itself looks fine. I always ask directly about the functionality of the truss rod and the condition of the frets so that I have it in writing before a guitar ships. It was definitely manufactured in 2020 and not 2022. The first number on the headstock is always the year of manufacture. The seller might have purchased it new old stock in 2022.

The lack of a case and associated paperwork is a bit unusual for a PRS. I would inquire more about what happened to that. Some people hate having stacks of hard cases taking up space so they will sell the hard case and just use a single gig bag. If the explanation seems suspect then I would consider walking away from the deal. Not having all of the paperwork shouldn't be a huge deal down the line so long as you can explain that a previous owner did not include it in the sale.

The price seems reasonable. I wouldn't say that it is a mind blowing price. Here are several other 594's at similar pricing.

https://reverb.com/item/56174965-us...ut-orange-tiger-smokeburst-339507-floor-model

https://reverb.com/item/78009137-prs-mccarty-594-single-cut-2023-tobacco-burst

https://reverb.com/item/77379386-pr...ck-gold-wrap-burst-w-case-excellent-condition

https://reverb.com/item/36878220-paul-reed-smith-mccarty-singlecut-594-10-top

https://reverb.com/item/73455911-2017-prs-mccarty-singlecut-594-10-top-charcoal-burst

Overall, communicate with the seller and feel it out. If it seems suspect then walk away.

Hey folks! I'm not exactly in the market at the moment, but this McCarty 594 popped up on Reverb and, uh, suddenly I feel like I'm drifting into the market.

I've never purchased anything on Reverb before, but thanks to third-party Amazon sellers and eBay, I am very... cautious.

This guitar seems like it's a great deal, and a McCarty 594 is one of my white whales. Some questions:

1. From the description, it seems like the case and case candy are missing. The seller says he'll order new case and case candy from PRS, but does that mean that I won't have any paperwork that proves the guitar is authentic? Is that going to be a long-term problem for me?
  2. This price seems very fair (maybe even amazing!), but given that I can't try it before I buy it, if I get it and hate it, do you think I'd be able to sell it myself for a similar value? (I haven't played a McCarty 594 and the only ones at shops within 150km are SEs, so I can't exactly demo one either. But I know I love Les Pauls, but wish they were more modern in build.)
  3. The details list the instrument as a 2022 model, but the headstock seems to say 2020. Is that a red flag?

This seller has 5 out of 5 rating from over 100 sales, that is a good sign.

ALL PRS guitars have a number code inside the bridge pickup cavity, you could ask for a photo, with that you can call PRS customer service and they will validate if its original.

Form what I have seen on the listing its legit.

Looks like a nice guitar. Check on the wood types, such as Brazilian Rosewood, and any CITES paperwork that may be required for import.

Go to Lauzon Musics page , they have a Blue mccarty for cheaper , free shipping, and you won't pay duties !

Edit: I got a suhr from them, they're great!

The price seems reasonable. I wouldn't say that it is a mind blowing price. Here are several other 594's at similar pricing.
Just wanted to say thanks for these links! I looked at them all. I definitely want a DC (I have a single cut Les Paul that I'm very happy with, so not looking to replicate that vibe). I also want a nitro finish post-2020, and not one of the sunbursts. (Really don't dig those on a McCarty for some reason.) But I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sending these along! I need to get better at this Reverb thing.

A couple of red flags there for me as a regular PRS player.

1. You can’t order case candy from PRS. There are lots of fake PRS guitars out there, and selling documentation would just make faking it easy. The lack of a case and candy doesn’t prove or disprove anything, but if I lost a case while moving, there would have been a guitar in it! Who moves guitars and cases separately?

2. The guitar in the photo is fine, and the seller’s feedback is solid, those are good things to see.

3. PRS cases run about $200-250 new. It’s worth being sure that’s included.

4. It’s definitely a 2020. That serial number looks odd to me, almost like it was altered, though that might just be the fuzzy photos. I’d ask for a clear picture.

If you stick with all the Reverb rules, you’ll have some help if it goes sideways. Make sure of how they handle that internationally. But, all in all, I see more carelessness in ownership and listing than issues with the guitar.

My personal rule is simple: if something seems hokey or makes me feel unsure about the reliability of the ad or seller, move on. There will always be another guitar or deal waiting. I’ve surely regretted ignoring red flags in my younger days.

My personal rule is simple: if something seems hokey or makes me feel unsure about the reliability of the ad or seller, move on. There will always be another guitar or deal waiting. I’ve surely regretted ignoring red flags in my younger days.
Yup! and there is currently 2150 deals on Reverb alone.

Apparently the case was stolen from a storage unit a couple years ago, and frets are perfect. He says the whole thing is in immaculate condition and doesn't leave the studio (he says he's a session player). Will ask about the case candy!

Some new details: price is firm, he'll ship it with a case (but not case candy), frets and truss rod are both perfect. I'm mulling it over, as they say. Always hard to throw that much cash down without playing it first.

Thanks Erock! I meant to respond to you and thought I did, but only in my head: not a huge fan of the colour (sorry), and it's not a 594. I like the scale length and the splits on the 594 a lot. I appreciate you though! I'll keep Lauzon in mind in the future, looks like a cool shop!
Fair! Good luck in the journey!

Price is ok but not amazing. I sold a 1pc 10-top for $4500 in 2022.

keep an eye on kijiji country wide. There’s a 594 singlecut for $4350 in ottawa thats been sitting, but its not the finish you seem drawn to.

Re case candy, once the hang tag has been lost that is it. Some buyers will care, some wont.

Also check l&m gear hunter. You’ll be paying the same or less, but get a 1yr warranty.

Back
Top Bottom