Help with Midi/GCP/Ultra/Editor!!!

believer

I will try and make this as easy as possible. Can someone explain to me the right way to do this type of hook-up?
I want to connect my Ground Control Pro to the Ultra and from the Ultra to my M-Audio Midi-sport 2x2 and from there to my computer via the USB port.
The concept of doing this is to allow me to be able to switch patches as well as effects on and off from the GCP while I have the Axe-Editor opened on my computer to do any editing that I might want to do as well as saving edited patches.
Also, I want to make this pretty much a permanent set-up due to the fact that I work mainly in my home studio and probably won't be taking this on the road any time soon.
I do know that I connect my GCP midi out to the midi in on the Ultra and from the midi out (Ultra) to the midi in on the Midi-sport 2x2, but I'm kinda lost on the next step to complete the process.
Thank you for any help or ideas that you might have or share!

It's been a while since I've bothered to look at the editor because it was such an unreliable moving target (maybe still is), but to answer to your question you could get a hardware MIDI merger and merge the MIDI out from your GCPro with the MIDI out from your 2x2. Both outs merged together will go to the MIDI in on the Ultra. Ultra's MIDI out will go to the 2x2's MIDI in. Two way communication with the 2x2, one way communication with the GCPro. I would be careful not to send any commands from the GCPro during a firmware update if you leave it connected this way. Another way would be to use MIDI Ox to do the routing/merging for you. You could connect the GCPro MIDI out to the second MIDI in of the 2x2. Then you'd set up all the routing parameters in MIDI Ox. That might be a little safer because you could virtually disconnect the GCPro when it's not needed. The downside is that MIDI Ox can be temperamental at times and you'd have to have MIDI Ox running (or the 2x2 Thru button pressed) for normal foot controller use. Also, you could get a standalone MIDI router like the MOTU Micro Express, but even it is USB powered so the computer would have to be on for it to work. The MOTU Midi Express XT has an internal power supply. It's nice, but probably overkill unless you do much other MIDI in your studio. I tried to have a setup like this and found it was overall much easier to just repatch and not use the footcontroller when I was using the computer.

Back
Top Bottom