Help with Matman´s Global Booster trick!!!!

SteelEdge

Hi!

About the Global Boost doing the Matman´s trick:

" Create a global "Boost" without having to modify each preset. Matman's trick: set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to that of OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). Don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1. "

I know how to set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to OUT1 VOLUME, but....where do you set the ON value to 127 and th OFF value to 111???? How do yo do it???

Are you talking to some edition in the Axe Fx or is an edition of the floor controller switch (MIDI programming of the IA Switch)???

You program the midi controller to do it. His directions are specific to the MFC-101. I imagine other high end midi controllers could also be programed thusly, but do not have any idea beyond the MFC-101.

What controller are you using?, chances are someone has that controller and is able to shine some light on this for you.

I implemented this on my MFC-101 the other nite. The missing detail is that the "OUT1" cc# is 011. Also there is a typo in the original regarding setting max/min levels (one is repeated twice). The 111 to 128 boost acoustically sounded about right...perhaps the min level could be dropped a tad for more of a boost depending on the patch

I implemented this on my MFC-101 the other nite. The missing detail is that the "OUT1" cc# is 011. Also there is a typo in the original regarding setting max/min levels (one is repeated twice). The 111 to 128 boost acoustically sounded about right...perhaps the min level could be dropped a tad for more of a boost depending on the patch

As another viewpoint, I use 115 as the 'lowered' setting, which sounds/feels right to me for the boost.

I have an All Access, so I guess I could easily do it...anyway, if someone else with this controller did before, I´d appreciate the "how to" ;)

Works fine with my FCB1010.

I tried 111 - 127 and this was too much. I currently run 118 - 127 and is working well on all presets.

Last edited:
I have been reading up on this issue but I'm still struggling with the basics. I'd like to create Matman's global boost function using one of my IA switches on the MFC-101 and I understand that I have to set one IA switch to 'None', that I can do. But then what happens next please? Am I adjusting controls in the Axe...? Presumably, but what and how?? (yes, I have read the excellent Wikki but I'm afraid I don't understand some of the technical language and sometimes the assumed knowledge is beyond me, think I need a Wikki for Dummies!....and what does 'CC' stand for?)

Steeledge wrote when he started this thread: 'I know how to set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to OUT1 VOLUME' - I however do not!

Last edited:
Could you use an expression pedal for this?

Yeah, actually. I do, anyway. And, I do it in a way that's really simple and deosn't involving any "minimum" or "maximum" level numbers being set in the Axe FX...

There are often many ways to accomplish certain things with this device. One thing that I needed to figure out early on (after getting my AXE FX) was the following: I use mine live. Sometimes at my cover band's shows there is no sound-man (or a clueless sound man). There is another guitarst in the band with me & we share lead parts throughout the gig. We play a wide range of styles & sounds. I needed to find the best way to have access to a universal "solo" effect, that is to make the overall volume of my rig louder - but, just during the guitar solos (or critical lead parts) within a given song & then be instantly capable of switching back to the normal volume. I didn't want to have to program a volume or gain boost into every one of my patches. I use LOTS of patches live, which often change as time goes on. For a long time, I was also using a Boss GT-8 as a MIDI floor controller until I was eventually able to buy my MFC-101.

Anyway, the best solution that I came up with (and I still do this NOW) is to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal. I simply plug the Roland EV-5 into the "Pedal 1" 1/4" jack on the back of my AXE FX. I also assign this "Pedal 1" jack to control master volume globally. The Roland EV-5 is being used as an external volume pedal. This particular pedal has a wheel on the side of it that you can turn to set your minimum volume level (from 0 to 10). I set this wheel at about "8". So, when the pedal is all the way back, it's slightly quieter than it is when it's all the way forward. It doesn't affect sound, simply overall volume. I keep it back for most of the show & I push it all the way forward for guitar solos or parts where I need to be louder. It works fantastic! It doesn't alter my tone 1 bit. I have another guitarist in the band and I can now be heard over him perfectly when it's my time to solo. If we have no sound man, it's a must. When we DO have a sound man, he doesn't have to do anything for me. He never has to pay attention to when I'm doing a lead or adjust the faders on the board. It's the best solution that I had come up with early on, especially given the limitations of the Boss GT-8 that I was using as a MIDI control device. And, it worked so well, I haven't bothered to adjust it into stomp form, yet. It keeps me from having to remember to program a volume boost of some kind into each of my MANY patches that I use live. Finally, I can easily adjust how dramatic the volume difference is on the fly by simply scrolling that little wheel on the side of the pedal. It never varies much. Again, I'm usually around "8", but occasionally I've made the volume boost more dramatic by setting it just under 8, or more subtle by setting it just over 8. And, the fact that it's an expression pedal let's me boost "half way" or any other amount in between the 8 and 10.

The advantage (I would think) of doing it my way vs. the way other people may be approaching it (by boosting mids or something) is that using the pedal as I do has absolutely ZERO effect on the sound of the patch. Using an EQ to boost often concerns me that the tone will be shaped slightly different once the boost is turned on. This was another concern of mine when I was pondering the possibilities.

Again, with the pedal method that I'm using, there's also some play in the middle. If I only push the expression pedal half-way forward, I only get half of my volume boost. I can go as subtle as I want with real time foot control. If you step on a button for a boost, it's "all or nothing" and only one volume difference.

There's also the issue with dealing with local soundmen. Most I've worked with in local clubs & bars are either clueless, indifferent, unfamiliar with what you're going to be doing, not paying attention, deaf, or drunk. And, when they DO expect a solo coming and try to boost your volume, they often push the fader up late, push it too far (or not enough), and don't bring the volume back down after your solo on time and/or back to the rhythm volume you were previously at. This technique removes their hijinx and incompetence from the equation.

I highly recommend trying this as an option.

Also... With the pedal method that I use, (regardless of what patch I switch over to) I always know if the volume is at the slightly quieter "rhythm" level or the boosted "lead" level by simply looking down and seeing which position the pedal is physically in.

Some of the techniques described here and elsewhere over the years are probably also very good, as well. but, this method has always worked out great for me and I haven't yet thought that I needed to do anything different.

Last edited:
I just did this today so to benefit the group.

Steps to do Mattman's Boost Trick with MFC:

Set IA switch to "NONE":

1. EDIT: MIDI : PAGE -> (6x)
Use paramater <- and -> to select the IA you want to use. I use 15 (default is reverb). Use the Increment and Decrement buttons on the MFC to toggle up and down. Now use the parameter arrows to select the effect to the right. Again, in my case this was REVERB. I pressed the Increment button until it said NONE. Press the Save button.

2. EDIT : MIDI : PAGE -> (7x)
Set the CC# (Control Change Number) to OUT1 VOLUME (The proper CC# for OUT1 Volume is 011). In my case I got this:
IA15 c1 CC#011 Ch01
Press the Save button.

3. EDIT : MIDI : PAGE -> (8x)
Set the on off values.
IA15 c1Off 115 On 127
Press the Save button.

Last edited:
Re: use of Roland expression pedal...

So is the "knob" you are turning on the side of the device?...it almost looks like its at the pivot point on the right of the device.

So for the songs that you want more lead boost, do you have to physically adjust this knob? How easily is this done given guitar in hand, poor lighting, etc.

Thanks!

Nick

Great feature this - use it all the time.....

Just need to work out:
1) how to get that red led glowing when the boost is off; and
2) how to assign other effects to the same switch (e.g. global boost and delay on at the same time).

I just did this today so to benefit the group.

Steps to do Mattman's Boost Trick with MFC:

Set IA switch to "NONE":

1. EDIT: MIDI : PAGE -> (6x)
Use paramater <- and -> to select the IA you want to use. I use 15 (default is reverb). Use the Increment and Decrement buttons on the MFC to toggle up and down. Now use the parameter arrows to select the effect to the right. Again, in my case this was REVERB. I pressed the Increment button until it said NONE. Press the Save button.

2. EDIT : MIDI : PAGE -> (7x)
Set the CC# (Control Change Number) to OUT1 VOLUME (The proper CC# for OUT1 Volume is 011). In my case I got this:
IA15 c1 CC#011 Ch01
Press the Save button.

3. EDIT : MIDI : PAGE -> (8x)
Set the on off values.
IA15 c1Off 115 On 127
Press the Save button.

Shedfactory you are a star! Thank you so much, this is exactly the route through the maze that had eluded me. Cheers!

I got this to work (thanks to the step by step from Shedfactory) but how do I get the MFC101 or the Axe to remember if the switch is on or off? so far I keep saveing with the boost on but when I come back to my lead preset from a rhythm the switch is off again!
Cheers, Paul

I got this to work (thanks to the step by step from Shedfactory) but how do I get the MFC101 or the Axe to remember if the switch is on or off? so far I keep saveing with the boost on but when I come back to my lead preset from a rhythm the switch is off again!
Cheers, Paul

Edit > Preset, goto your lead preset and set the boost switch to On.

Back
Top Bottom