Help with Fretless bass mwah

crg123

Experienced
I'm not expecting a quick answer to this since I know there arent many bass players on this site,, no matter fretless players. This is more of a request for guidance than a patch btw.

I have an Ibanez SR400 that I modded to be fret less (wood veneers where the frets use to be, leveled, ect) with highbeam strings.

I have an Axe FX XL and a Darkglass B7k. I've been trying to get that crazy MWah sound that I hear on so many videos. I can get the sound but its not as present or powerful as when I hear it in videos like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=223&v=4EE3hSEPEaw

Metal context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrwWBFp91U0

I know its a technique thing, I can get it, but I just want it to jump out like in those videos. Any guidance? Settings, EQ, compression, amp/cab types. Anything would help.

It's mainly about string height setup. I've had many fretless basses, the epoxied Pedullas had the most pronounced mwah. My buddy's Wal and my Status have good mwah, but more mid focused. My FBasses, Fender knockoffs and such all had less. You want to be on the bridge pickup. Roundwounds buzz better and eat the fingerboard up better too, hence the epoxy trick. I use chorus, reverb and exciter to get that Mark Egan tone.

Luke made some good points. I am a fretless bass player (and also fretless guitar) and double bass player myself. Have owned many fretless basses. I want to add that the most important thing for the 'mwah' is the condition of your fretboard. Have it planed by a good luthier. Also the wood of the fingerboard makes a difference; rosewood or ebony will sound different. Have your strings as low as possible and use roundwound strings if you want more sustain. If you can't get the sound out of the bass itself acoustically when played without amplification no machine or effect or compressor will help.

So it's not about effects or electronics but more about the bass itself, mainly the fretboard. A good playing technique is also very important of course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys!

I can easily get the sound out of the bass acoustically but I think the rosewood fretboard (/my technique) might be holding me back. I'll try lowering my strings more but I get buzz when I do. Maybe I need to adjust the neck angle/ lower the nut?

I think what I was generally asking was is there a difference in the way you compress/ EQ a bass for fretless playing to help bring out the mwah even more. I have the sound but its just not as present as when I hear others play it. I.e. more mids? cut lows? lots of compress/ little compression.

I think what I was generally asking was is there a difference in the way you compress/ EQ a bass for fretless playing to help bring out the mwah even more. I have the sound but its just not as present as when I hear others play it. I.e. more mids? cut lows? lots of compress/ little compression.

I do nothing different than on my 'normal' bass. No extra EQ or compression for fretless (for me). It's all in the bass and fingers. The videos you posted also have very little effects. Rosewood sounds a bit warmer/mellow but ebony is more durable. Not much difference as for 'mwah'. Maybe you should bring your bass to a good bass luthier.

Back
Top Bottom