Help with Dual External Switch

lpaul626

Inspired
Trying to set up a Mosky dual footswitch to control preset increment/decrement. Any guidance? Thought I followed the manual correctly. Definitely missing something ... anyone using this footswitch?

More details.... connected the switch using a trs cable to Pedal 1.

Via the I/O menu, configured Pedal 1 setup for 2 switches. Also, Switch 1 Tip and Ring to “Follow Hardware” (normal polarity).

Then went to Stand in switches then I changed Layout to Presets and switch to Preset. I assume this is where I missed something.

Last edited:
this is hard to troubleshoot because i don't know what you did.

how are you connecting the footswitch to the FM3? what did you set in the Setup> MIDI/Remote menu?

I bought the same Moskey "dual" switch (one 1/4" output for two momentary switches) based on someone's recommendation here (maybe HippieTim?), but I can't get it to work properly even after doing the same assignments as you did above... It will partially work as a Stand-in switch, but only for Tap and not for Hold - and the buttons are backwards: meaning the "left button" is doing what the "right button" is set for, but only for tap and not hold, biggest problem however is that I want to program them to operate in the FC Controller area of FM3-Edit - not in the Stand-In area. It seems the manual doesn't go deep enough into this to offer any guidance to get any further... There's got to be an easy answer because someone here already recommended buying this exact switch to replace my dual latching switch.

I bought the same Moskey "dual" switch (one 1/4" output for two momentary switches) based on someone's recommendation here (maybe HippieTim?), but I can't get it to work properly even after doing the same assignments as you did above... It will partially work as a Stand-in switch, but only for Tap and not for Hold - and the buttons are backwards: meaning the "left button" is doing what the "right button" is set for, but only for tap and not hold, biggest problem however is that I want to program them to operate in the FC Controller area of FM3-Edit - not in the Stand-In area. It seems the manual doesn't go deep enough into this to offer any guidance to get any further... There's got to be an easy answer because someone here already recommended buying this exact switch to replace my dual latching switch.

You didn't mention what type of cable you are using! I have a similar switch (T1M) and I use a TRS to 2 TS (insert) cable occupying pedal inputs 3-4 on the FC-6 and have no issues. You should be able to do the same on the FM3 pedal inputs 1-2.

Post #37

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/stand-in-switches-hold-function-resolved.159562/page-2

Thanks for all the help guys - even still, I was up til 4am last night fighting with this Moskey switch and the FM3. I did everything mentioned above (except for labeling the Moskey an expression pedal) and still no Hold functions work? It’s also really annoying that the Moskey is backwards from the start too. Seriously, why was this pedal ever recommended here? Do I need to try Remote switches instead of Stand-In switches? Also, I’m still on 1.03, but the above comments were all way before 1.03 and 1.04 so I assume it’s not that either. BTW, I’m using a Fractal TRS to TRS cable to connect to Pedal 1 input, but in desperation, I’ve used a standard TS to TS to test every option out as well. I don’t have a TRS to TS cable to try out.... I just want to get back to PLAYING - I’m tired of configuring...

You just mean for pedal 2 in your screenshots right? Not the expression pedal in pedal 1. I set up with TRS to TRS as you have it set for pedal 2 "2 switches tip + Ring" with the reverse polarity for both and still NO hold function...

THANKS AGAIN GUYS - Okay, so, taking a fresh look at this today, I now have it partially working👍 I switched the MOSKY Dual Switch to Pedal 2's Input and started over again. I now have Tap and Hold functionality, BUT...BUT... the MOSKY is still backwards, which is workable, but REALLY annoying... Is there a way to reconfigure how the FM3 "sees" the MOSKY so it reads LEFT to RIGHT - otherwise I'll always have to program it in reverse on the Layout to have it make sense when sitting on the floor IRLo_O

BUT...BUT... the MOSKY is still backwards, which is workable, but REALLY annoying... Is there a way to reconfigure how the FM3 "sees" the MOSKY so it reads LEFT to RIGHT - otherwise I'll always have to program it in reverse on the Layout to have it make sense when sitting on the floor IRLo_O
You have two choices:

1) Rewire the Mosky to swap the switches around.

2) Rotate the Mosky 180°.

Choice 3: Swap the assignments for the stand-in switches in your configuration. That’s what I did.
Thanks👍 Do you mean just swapping their button assignments in the layout to make the real life buttons make sense OR changing something (tip and ring) in the I/O menu?

If you can solder, swap the tip and ring wires on the Mosky's output jack. Or if there's enough wire slack, you could possibly swap the position of the two switches in the enclosure. If you unscrew and remove the jack and both switches, you might be able to twist each switch around to point up instead of down, then flip the whole wired assembly over and mount it all back in the enclosure.

Last edited:
Thanks👍 Do you mean just swapping their button assignments in the layout to make the real life buttons make sense OR changing something (tip and ring) in the I/O menu?

just swap the button assignments in the stand in switch menu. I’m not at the FM3 this afternoon but I remember mine were backwards from what I wanted. So I just changed the assignments in the stand-in switch menu which is accessed on the FM3 and not available in FM3 Edit IIRC. Problem solved.

If you can’t get it, I’ll post my settings when I’m back at the unit.

there’s no reason to mod the switch. That’s just silly.

This sounds like too much effort (I.e, “resoldering”?). Can anyone recommend another switch? Similar In size?

Back
Top Bottom