Help with DI/Reamping

DAW: Reaper 6.25
Connections: Guitar --> FM3 Input 1 --> FM3 Output 1 L&R --> Steinberg CI1 Interface Inputs 1 & 2 --> Steinberg CI1 Interface Outputs 1 & 2 --> Monitors

FM3 and Steinberg CI1 both connected to computer via USB.

In Reaper's preferences: ASIO Driver = FM3 USB Audio Device

I have been able to record 2 DI tracks simultaneously, but now I don't exactly know what to do to reamp the tracks. When I hit play I just hear the crappy DI signal. Do I need to change the physical connections so that the output of the interface feeds the FM3, or should everything be done through the DAW?

I feel like I need to use the route option at the bottom of the screen by the track faders. I tried messing around a little and got some horrible feedback/distortion when I hit play, so I'm a little afraid to keep messing around without having a better idea of what I should be doing.

I have attached a picture of my DAW's settings and FM3's audio settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DAW and FM3 Edit.png
    DAW and FM3 Edit.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 23
Set the FM3 intput 1 source to USB Channels 3/4 (I've seen you did that)

Then in reaper set the output of the DI tracks to OUT 3/4 of the FM3 (I can't see in your picture where the out from the DI track goes to)

Attachments

• 1615225225608.png
    1615225225608.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Set the FM3 intput 1 source to USB Channels 3/4 (I've seen you did that)

Then in reaper set the output of the DI tracks to OUT 3/4 of the FM3 (I can't see in your picture where the out from the DI track goes to)

Ok, I set the route for the track labeled "Rhythm DI 1" to Out 3, and routed "Rhythm DI 2" to Out 4.

Then I set the re-amp tracks to in 3 and 4. When I push play I can here the DI tracks getting processed and as I change the settings in FM3 Edit the sound changes. However, I noticed that all tracks are getting sent through the FM3, so I have to mute all the tracks except for the DI tracks when re-amping. For example, If I push play and turn on the drum track too, it seems to get sent to the FM3 to get processed and then to my monitors creating a horrible noise. I did not route the drum track to anywhere. Is this because the audio driver in the DAW is set to FM3 and when I want to playback the project I need to set it back to my Steinberg Interface? I want to be able to be able to just push play and hear the whole project while playing with parameters in FM3 edit to dial in the right preset guitar sound. Is this possible?

I also noticed the wave form of the new tracks look kind of small compared to recording just directly to a track using the FM3 processed sound (Look at the Guitar Rhythm track). Is this normal? The preset used in the Guitar Rhythm track and Re-amp tracks is the same.

Attachments

• DAW and FM3 Edit 2.png
    DAW and FM3 Edit 2.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 21
Looks normal now.
you can increase the level of input 3/4 in the axe (Input pad) for the to fix the "small" issue.
I tried re-amping, but individual tracks - as you said - by muting all other tracks, not in a mix.
I bet there's a tutorial out there waiting for us to learn just how to do that... :D

Here's the first one I found:

Last edited:
Looks normal now.
you can increase the level of input 3/4 in the axe (Input pad) for the to fix the "small" issue.
I tried re-amping, but individual tracks - as you said - by muting all other tracks, not in a mix.
I bet there's a tutorial out there waiting for us to learn just how to do that... :D

Here's the first one I found:

I checked the manual which has a pretty good guide on page 26.

For now I have gotten rid of my interface and I'm just using the FM3 to do everything.

Connections: Guitar --> FM3 Input 1 --> FM3 Output 1 L&R --> Studio Monitors
FM3 USB output --> Computer

Look at the picture I attached to see how the inputs and routing are setup.

When you record the DI set the FM3 Input 1 Source to "Analog". When you are re-amping set it to "USB Channels 3/4"

When I am re-amping I can listen to all the tracks, but only the DI is being sent to the FM3 preset for processing.

Attachments

• DAW and FM3 Edit 3.png
    DAW and FM3 Edit 3.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: Vio
Back
Top Bottom