Help with custom scale

barhrecords

Axe-Master
With the pitch shift block using a custom scale, how does the key in the block relate to the custom scale?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the custom scale being relative to the key of A.

I'm trying to create a lower harmony that is like a drone.

In the key of D it would be A except on the root it would be an octave.

E.g.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbwbtvxcodq3dy8/harmony.jpg

No experience using custom scales but my assumption would be that you are programming what harmony note for each interval in the key. So for example, the pitch detector knows to play your defined 3rd interval when you play a C# (the 3rd in A), as opposed to playing your custom 7th interval (the 7th in D).

No experience using custom scales but my assumption would be that you are programming what harmony note for each interval in the key. So for example, the pitch detector knows to play your defined 3rd interval when you play a C# (the 3rd in A), as opposed to playing your custom 7th interval (the 7th in D).

I understand how the intervalic harmony works, but the Global -> Scales page starts each scale with "A" and is chromatic. Then the manual has this:

KEY – This transposes both custom scales to the desired key. Internally the Axe-Fx II assumes all Custom Scales have a root of A so this shift is relative to that note. For example, if your custom scale was in A major and you wanted to perform in G major you’d set KEY to G. If your custom scale was in B minor and you wanted to play in E minor you’d set KEY to “D”, since E is a 4th above B and D is a 4th above A.

This is the part I'm not quite sure how to achieve the harmony in my example.

I take it as the axe fx in its transforming starts with A, like numbers start with 0. I wish I was educated enough to know how to explain. The custom scale intervals are chromatic, this mainly applies to transposing your custom scales.?!?.

This from the manual is the part that is confusing to me: "If your custom scale was in B minor "

Implies, to me, the custom scale is actually not in a key center.
I take it as the axe fx in its transforming starts with A, like numbers start with 0. I wish I was educated enough to know how to explain. The custom scale intervals are chromatic, this mainly applies to transposing your custom scales.?!?.

This may help to clear it up:

1. Fremens request:
Would it be possible, for a given custom scale, to specify the starting key ?
I have programmed a user scale to play the spanish-flamenco mode in Eb. If I want to play in F, I need to program another one. Same thing for each custom key I programmed, I can use each of them in only one key. Of course there's 32 user scales, but a simple "key" parameter associated to a custom scale would simplify things

2. Implementation as per the release notes 12.03:
Added Key parameter to Pitch block Custom Shifter. This applies to both scales and transposes the scales to the desired key. For example, if a Custom Scale is configured such that its root is A and you want to play in the key of G you would simply set Key to ‘G’. Internally the Axe-Fx II assumes all Custom Scales
have a root of A so setting Key to ‘A’ will do no transposition. Existing presets may need to have the Key reset to ‘A’ to perform as intended.

It is relative to A.
So if you were to select B, all of your custom scale settings would be transposed +2 semitones.

I get the transposition is relative to A. (In the pitch block, this could be changed to "transpose" and in terms of semitones to be more intuitive?)

What are the intervals in Global -> Scales relative to? E.g. to program E minor into Globals -> Scales, would I program an A minor scale and use the "key" in the pitch block to transpose it? OR would I program in an E minor scale into Global -> Scales and set the "key" in the pitch block to "A", i.e. no transposition?

Figured out how to create the harmony in my original post.

In summary (some of this I knew some I didn't)

1. The "scales" in Global -> Scales don't have the key center of "A". They are simply a chromatic interval map that happens to start on "A" (not sure why not "C"? seems like most theory books etc. default to start with C... I could see "E" because of Yngvie... buy why "A"? onwards... :) )

2. In the pitch block, the key of "A" represents the original intervals from the Global scale.

3. Voice 2 in the pitch block defaults to Global scale 1 with 100% level, this can throw a person way off that can't figure out custom scales :) operator error!!!! My scale was in 32 and I had scale 1 also active by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom