Help with corrupt preset fear/superstition

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I'm in an '80s metal cover band here in WI, USA, and for each song, I have a preset. So, yeah...

Last night at soundcheck, there was a breaker trip on a different circuit that caused the Axe-Fx II (Mark II) to show a name timeout on the MFC. Rebooting, it was fine... until, during the gig, I hit a corrupt preset (no audio, couldn't increment past it) that forced me to reboot on stage a couple times. I stayed on the non-corrupt preset right before it, and made it through the gig. Strangely, the corrupt preset was not the preset I was using at the moment the timeout happened.

So, now I have this fear that other parts of the Axe-Fx's memory were swiss-cheesed by the surge, cosmic ray, gremlin, mogwai, or whatever happened. Is there a memory test? Or a way to format the memory, upload new firmware, and replace my presets from my backups (on my Mac)? Or otherwise to allay my fears that may have no basis in reality?

Thanks!
Eric

Hi Eric,

Is the problem reproducible now?
If so, what happens after you overwrite the problem preset?

I think it's just coincidence.

I've had a corrupt preset before - same base template I'd used for everything, even other presets during the same set, but for some reason that particular one would cause the unit to freeze. Overwriting it resolved it and it's been fine since.

>> So, now I have this fear that other parts of the Axe-Fx's memory were swiss-cheesed by the surge

I would assume this has happened, just to be on the safe side. If you can simply restore from backup => problem solved.
I suspect that most memory errors will not cause lockup, so there may be more that aren't as obvious.

Back
Top Bottom