Help with annoying feedback at loud volumes

JoeyBTL

Inspired
I've had my Ultra for about 2/3 weeks now and I love it. But when I play it through something like my 5150/Marshall and get it to band playing volume I get terrible feedback. I mostly use the FAS Modern for a rhythm tone and Das Metal for leads. I have the gate set higher for my tighter rhythm playing so it doesn't happen as easily (but is still there) and have the gate turned back for lead playing on the Das Metal. When I have this channel on at a loud volume it shrieks terribly, and even if I turn the gate up to the same level as the FAS it still does it for a split second if I hit a quick chug. For my level settings on the Das metal they are -11db for the amp and -8.25db for the cab. My drive is at 10 but the master is at 3.54. My output volume is at about 12-1 o'clock. The one thing that I've found helped is turned the input knob down, but I could tell a difference in tone and I set it via the recommendation on the Axe wiki by playing hard and setting it to where it tickles the red. I've gotten this problem through two other amps as well, plus via the xlr to a PA system, so it happens wether I have the cab sims bypassed being used through an amps power section or not. It works better through the PA but when I try to crank it a little it still happens. As far as different patches go, its not just when I used the FAS and Das but most high gain ones.

I'm just not sure what I should have turned down and have turned up that won't affect my tone but just make it so I can play at louder levels. Any help would be really appreciated.

Just another thing to add, should I be looking to adjust the gain in the Global EQ to help this?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like your pickups are microphonic. What pickups are you using? They may need to be potted.

Also, try it with another guitar and see if it happens. If it does, well:

With that level of gain, at high volumes, it is kinda hard to avoid feedback to be honest - with the axe or ANY amp or processor. Describe your setup and how you have everything connected in detail. are you going thru the fx loop of the 5150 or Marshall? Are you using the 4 cable method etc?

There is no gain in the global eq. However, you may want to add a hi cut and low cut in the amp block to avoid feedback at higher volumes, as well as reduce your gain.

I had the same problem with recto sim with gain at 6-7. I changed sim to euro uber which I like more now but haven't try to rehears with it yet.

I'd agree about the pickups as a cause of the problem the most. Try different guitar. But first lower the gain from 10 to 8 at least. Even with black metal it'll sound good and more powerful.

I didn't think about the pickups, but it's done it on two of my guitars I've tried. One has Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire and the other has a crunchlab/d-activator neck. It doesnt usually matter which pickup it's on, it still reacts the same. I know using an amp at high gain creates feedback (duh) but maybe I'm just not used to how it is with the axe fx because it's pretty much an immediate shriek when I hit a note.

But anyway, I just had it set up from the output on the axe to the fx return on the 5150. I also tried it the same way through a Marshall Mg half stack and a fender 212r going into the power in on the front. The best results I've had are through our band PA by a xlr mic cable. I think that may be because I could control the gain and channel volume itself on there. It still has more feedback than I'd like or that I get when I just go through my computer monitors at home.

Back
Top Bottom