Help with a Real sounding hi gain tone with qsc k12 non fizzy

npdcoremetal

Inspired
I have been bustin my but since i got this K12 and it to me sounds horrid too many highs too much mids too much everything and ok i have a ton of eqs those either take too much away in the wrong spots or just ends up sounding yuck if any one has any hi gain patches that would help

what amp and cab have you tried? i usually cut 8k from the amp eq or turn down power amp highs to under 10k.

I use QSC K12s and they sound good

I have been bustin my but since i got this K12 and it to me sounds horrid too many highs too much mids too much everything and ok i have a ton of eqs those either take too much away in the wrong spots or just ends up sounding yuck if any one has any hi gain patches that would help

I have a pair of QSC K12s and I think they sound great, especially with high gain amps. When I've run into harshness or fizziness this is usually due to something that I've done in my patch, not because of the QSCs.

Are you using Axe II V3 firmware? If yes, I've found that opening my patch, changing it from the amp saved in the patch to a different amp and then resetting it back to the orginal amp often resolves this problem for me. There are new amp settings in the V3 firmware that don't get applied to saved patches unless you change the amp and then return it back to the orginal amp. Cliff, and others, have recommended doing this in other threads. If this clears up the fizziness then just make sure and resave the patch, otherwise you'll run into the same problem the next time you use that patch.

I've had to do this with all of my patches. Tone usually improves quite a bit after doing it.

If this still doesn't improve the patch then it may be that you're experiencing digital distortion from having too hot of a signal path. Digital clipping can be very harsh and very unmusical sounding distortion. The remedy for this is checking your signal path and reducing gain. I'm still refining my skills in doing this quickly, but so far I've found that turning down the output on the Amp block (I believe this is the last knob on pg 2 of the amp block settings). I have also had success turning down the gain on one or more effects when turning down the amp block output wasn't enough.

Last edited:
I have a pair of QSC K12s and I think they sound great, especially with high gain amps. When I've run into harshness or fizziness this is usually due to something that I've done in my patch, not because of the QSCs.

I agree

to the OP , try a few of the patches people have uploaded and compare them with yours and what is different

The Devin and the Ola ones sound very neutral to me

Amp model is key. After a certain point in high gain tones, the gain knob becomes the fizz knob. Turn the gain down. ;)

I am not a fan on the K12 either. They have extremely exaggerated bass response (among other problems). Make sure you engage the 'EXT SUB' switch as this makes them more useable.

Yeah i have tried all of the above i also use pro tools to record i have a presonus digmax digi 003 and art mp pres i can get great sounding tones goin through that out to my krk monitors or my blue sky monitors i have found with the qsc it has way too harsh mid his low highs and just highs in general i have never played on an amp that sounds that harsh or incredebly horrid i loaded devs patches they are ear peircing on the qsc but awsome on pro tools same with ola patches i recorded a whole album with the ultra sounds great too i just wonder why people rarely rave about the qsc and the axe and the mackie 1221 and verves atomics etc get top review

wow thats reallly strange

the devin ones on mine sound neutral if anything where my own patches sound a tad bright

I'm using a QSC KW12 so maybe there is a difference there between the KW and K's tonally

You haven't got any global eq's on by accident?

Like antcarrier said I have the EXT SUB off as well (especially for acoustics!)

I know there are 'vocal' switches and a few other eq ones on mine....any of them turned on by accident?

Do the K12s have Class-D amplifiers? You may, like myself, just be overly sensitive to Class-D amps. I can hear a Class-D amp a mile away. The high-end on them grates on my nerves.

Do the K12s have Class-D amplifiers? You may, like myself, just be overly sensitive to Class-D amps. I can hear a Class-D amp a mile away. The high-end on them grates on my nerves.

Maybe thats it. I have been freaking pulling my hair out trying to kill what i hear in the qsc compared to the actual powerball or dual rec peavey and deizel models now for some strange reason with my atomic 50/50 and avatar cabs and carvin ts100 and peavey cab im hearing honky mids and scratchy mids i cant make go away without making it sound like poop. I was goin to get the Fryette 2902 dont know if i made a mistake mark day recomened it over the fryette so do not know. In pro tools hd 9 into a shadow hills equinox i don't hear it coming from my blue skys or krk speakers sounds sweet also with the ultra i recorded a whole album with lambesis and them guys are using axe fx now what am i doing wrong in a years time. Any comments suggestions would help this qsc is bout to be a boat anchor along with the avatars and atomic. I got a buddy i send all the patches i do to and he loves them and came here n said they sound awesome and heard me play live with cabs n power amp n liked it. Thing is, its like this i pull one frequency then i hear a masked one pop out when i try correcting that one i totally get a undesirable sound. I dont know if im over anylizing my issue or i need to play my engl for a few weeks agian or what.

wow thats reallly strange

the devin ones on mine sound neutral if anything where my own patches sound a tad bright

I'm using a QSC KW12 so maybe there is a difference there between the KW and K's tonally

You haven't got any global eq's on by accident?

Like antcarrier said I have the EXT SUB off as well (especially for acoustics!)

I know there are 'vocal' switches and a few other eq ones on mine....any of them turned on by accident?

No eqs on and I have tried every combo with the qsc flat bright deep regular i settled on flat ext sub. I believe if there was a dang way to modify the K 12 kinda like the atomic ones where i could adjust the horn it would be fine. When i stick my foot over it or a coat on the horn most the crap disappears so Dont KNOW IM GOIN CRAZY AM IHEARING THINGS THAT DO NOT EXSIST

3 things.

1. Make sure your patch has a low pass filter set around 8k and a high pass filter set to 125 Hz.

2. Try the sm 57 royer 121 trick for bite and body.

3. Don't boost a frequency unless you want to change the sound.

i like the way the k series sounds and use them for my on stage monitors because that's usually what the main pa system sounds like - full of high-end!! sound guys here are trying to make everyone as deaf as they are haha.

again, i usually find myself cutting 8k (and above) a bit. i leave my global eq flat when i make my tones, but at the gig i'm usually making a frowny face on the global eq's due to the louder volume. but i haven't gotten a complaint yet about how my guitar sounds. never too bassy or shrill. thank goodness for the global eqs!

but make sure you reset them the next time you are developing tones.

whats the sm57 royer "trick?"
3 things.

1. Make sure your patch has a low pass filter set around 8k and a high pass filter set to 125 Hz.

2. Try the sm 57 royer 121 trick for bite and body.

3. Don't boost a frequency unless you want to change the sound.

Back
Top Bottom