Help with a prog clean tone "Periphery" Clean

TheGoatLord

Experienced
Could anyone show me an example or give me some help making a Periphery'esq clean tone. I'm trying to make some filler stuff between tracks and really like those crystal clean tones with all the delay and verb that somehow don't swallow the notes. I'm a drive block, amp block, cab block type of guy and am totally lost on this one. Thanks!

Hey man, it works out great that you brought this up. I've just made one that I'm extremely happy with. I just used a Compressor, Amp, Cab, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb. That's it! A huge part of getting those cleans is finding good pickups and a good pickup position that works for you. I found the best solution to be using my neck humbucker in parallel, the next best thing is the middle position (where each humbucker uses just a single coil), and the next best after that being just the normal neck pickup. I'm using Bareknuckle Cold Sweats (Which Bulb used on the majority of the first album, if not all of it I believe?) so that's a great place to start.

EDIT: Sorry, the middle position on my guitar is actually both humbuckers in full humbucking mode, not in single coil mode.

Anyways, here's the rundown. I wish I could post a clip but I'm really sick right now and just can't bring myself to hook up all my gear and try and record something, only to take it a part again when I go to practice tonight. If you PM me this weekend though I'll post a clip for you so that you could take a better look. Anyways, here's the settings:

Compressor: To taste, but I have threshold at -34db, attack at 1ms, and release at 100ms with a soft knee.
Amp: Deluxe Verb. Bright Switch ON, Presence up at about 8.5, bass at around 4, mids just past noon, Treble just past 6. Drive is at 2.56 so it stays completely clean. If your pickups are higher output then bump that down a tad and compensate with the level knob.
Cab: 2x12 Black cab, no microphone. All settings at default.
Chorus: I set this subtle and smooth, you don't want a thick 80's chorus, just something to add texture. But if you want more, go for it. Rate 0.483 Hz, Depth 8.1%, Mix 26.9%. Everything else is default.
Delay: Digital Mono, 500ms, Feedback L+R 10%, Mix 23%. Everything else is default.
Reverb: Medium Plate, Time 7.68, Size 35, Color 7, Mix 24.1%. Everything else is default.

Hope that helps as a good starting point. That's just a simple clean that can be used on most of the progressive metal cleans like that. You can also mess with reverb size, time, and mix for a change, or extend the delay and raise the mix for a more "Jetpacks Was Yes!" intro sound, etc. Try using two amps if you want for something different. I also like to make another chain off of this and use a pitch shifter and reverb so that everything I play is just like the above signal chain, but all the reverb is an octave up. Very cool effect. Mess with it! :)

Trying hard not to necrobump this lol. I was dialing some Periphery type cleans but I used the preset above as a starting point. I need to try the other tips posted in this thread too ! I want that clean tone really bad.

Try the Plex Delay in the Multidelay block.

Also, it sounds like they blend some octave pitch shifting into their clean tones sometimes. That could either be a Pitch block or something like Plex Shift or Crystals.

For reverbs, the Cavern type is a great starting point.

Thanks a lot Adam! It's funny you mentioned Cavern because its the first thing I changed in that preset. Gives it way more depth. I'll work on it more tonight and post it. The jetpacks clean and just because cleans are what I'm going for. They're similar though. Can never have enough clean patches.

Back
Top Bottom