Help, translating my current rig to the FM3

Steeldom

Hi,

I'm new to the FM3 and I'm currently trying to figure out how to translate the things my current rig can do to the FM3, especially when it comes to the reduced number of footswitches.
Currently I use a Voodoo Lab GCX and Ground Control Pro to switch my amps' channels and different effects.
In detail the 8 loops are as follows:
1. Tuner out --> without return, so it mutes the signal
2. Fulltone OCD
3. Compressor
4. Chorus
5. Delay
6. Solo Boost
7. Midboost of the amp
8. Clean/Lead on the amp

And I have 3 presets that I use that have the following effects engaged:
1. Wet clean: 3-4-5 8(Clean)
2. Rhythm: 2 8(Lead)
3. Solo: 2-5-6 8(Lead)

So it's pretty basic and simple as far as I'm concered, but having access to all the elements is great and sometimes necessary.
If I work these into three scenes and 3 Footswitches, how do I access the tuner?
I also sometimes need Chorus on Dirty tones.

How much can I achieve with the FM3 alone? Do you guys think a FC6 will be necessary?
I've looked at other Footswitch options. But if I understand correctly the Ground Control Pro doesn't really work
well with the Axe and if I spend money on something else I might as well get the FC6.

Each switch has a tap and hold function. So that’s 2 functions per switch if you want.

You can also toggle between 2 Scenes with the same tap function if that workflow works for you. So that’s 5 other functions available.

The tuner can be accessed with one of those hold functions. Or use a simple external switch to bring up the tuner. Tuner can be set to mute audio when on.

The switches can also change to display other functions using Layouts and Views.

CPU of a preset should be able to handle that arrangement of effects.

I think ...

• you can pack everything into one preset
  • you don't need the FC6, get a cheap 2-way switch and scroll through your layout views
  • build a custom layout to access everything in one (scenes, tuner, direct access on a few pedals, ...)
I have a smilier approach and one presets has everything what one song needs.
I came from a huge pedalboard and amp-switcher setup, as well - the FM3 works super easy.
Another tip:

• try to work with the amp input boost and output EQ (you can save CPU if you don't need a dedicated drive block)
  • reverb quality to eco if needed
Also: Check out scene controllers, if you don't want to work with channels.
Gapless switching is - with scene controllers - also not a problem :)

First up, a little unclear, are you trying to just replace your pedalboard with the FM3 or your full rig? I'll presume the later barring clarification. So...you shouldn't have any issue loading everything into 1 preset but if you want switching to function exactly as they currently do, you will have to get something to extend the switching.

You obviously can do 3 scenes to do your 3 presets and then through a series of holds access things individually, however I'd probably switch things up a bit. Here's a generic model I use when I jam with others using scene controllers/direct effects control rather than switching scenes (though I probably could do this easier now with the new scene ignore feature):

Switch 1: Clean/Dirty
Switch 2: Special effect(s)
Switch 3: Lead boost

This this allows quick access to 6 different tones without having to press and hold anything. Now...clearly things like clean with effects to dirty lead can be a bit painful...but that's IMHO where a purpose driven preset/scene mindset offers a huge advantage to players over generic models. So if I know the songs I'm playing I'll use a similar structure but toggling /switching scenes:

Switch 1: Clean/Dirty scene toggle
Switch 2: Clean with Tremolo/Clean with Chorus and Delay scene toggle
Switch 3 Dirty Lead with delay scene select with 2nd press returning to previous scene, hold tuner.

If you're playing typical cover sets using this type of layout, with switch 2 being a "special effect" I've found it very easy to play a 2 hour set with 3 or 4 presets as most songs just don't require a bunch of very specific effects as you can swap between a lead and any of the 4 other tones with the most complex move being a double tap of a switch. So my general layout scheme with your needs:

Switch 1: Rhythm/Wet Clean scene toggle (whichever sound you use most should be the primary scene)
Switch 2: Rhythm with Chorus scene select, 2nd press previous scene (option to toggle to 2nd scene if needed)
Switch 3: Solo scene, 2nd press previous scene, hold tuner

Thanks for the suggestions! These are great tipps.
Is this possible?

Layout 1:
Switch 1: Scene 1 (Dirty --> Start) / Scene 2 (Clean)
Switch 2: Effect 1 (maybe Chorus) --> Hold access Layout 2
Switch 3: Effect 2 (maybe Delay) --> Hold access Layout 3
Footswitch: Tuner
Expression Pedal: Solo

Layout 2:
Switch 1: Scene 3 / Scene 4 --> Hold access Layout 1
Switch 2: Effect 3 (maybe rotary)
Switch 3: Effect 4 (maybe drive pedal) --> Hold access Layout 3
Expression Pedal: wah

Layout 3:
Switch 1: Scene 5 / Scene 6 --> Hold access Layout 1
Switch 2: Effect 5 (maybe rythmic delay) --> Hold access Layout 2
Switch 3: taptempo
Expression Pedal: Something else

Then the layouts would essentially be like presets.

I had (well, have!) a 3 channel Marshall 30th Anniversary Head. Its' footswitch had (1) Clean, (2) Rhythm, and (3) Lead. When I moved on to multi FX, I always set up buttons 1, 2, and 3 as Clean, Rhythm and Lead, so regardless of which bank I was in, anytime I hit 1 I got a clean sound, anytime I hit 2 I got Rhythm, etc..

I also have a Ground Control switcher too!

I'm sure you could do what you want with Scenes, and just have the FM3 remember which effect is active or bypassed in which scene (and also which amp channel is active too).

You may be able to set up tap and hold, whereby Button 1 is Clean One, and a tap of Button 1 gets you to Clean 2 (which would be another Scene with a different combination of fx - eg chorus in or out). Same with Button 2 for Rhythm and Button 3 for lead. Having the scenes remember which FX are active or bypassed would be very similar to your Ground Control loops in and out.

You should also look at additional stand in switches (just a 2 button momentary, which you connect to the pedal jacks). I would set up one as Tap/Tuner (a quick set of timed taps will set the tempo of your delay, and a long hold will activate the tuner). Set the other switch to View, which can change the layouts (in other words, what you "see" on the three button on your FM3).

@chris is the legend on this stuff, and he has some excellent Youtube videos and live streams ... :)

Thanks for the suggestions! These are great tipps.
Is this possible?

Layout 1:
Switch 1: Scene 1 (Dirty --> Start) / Scene 2 (Clean)
Switch 2: Effect 1 (maybe Chorus) --> Hold access Layout 2
Switch 3: Effect 2 (maybe Delay) --> Hold access Layout 3
Expression Pedal: Solo

Layout 2:
Switch 1: Scene 3 / Scene 4 --> Hold access Layout 1
Switch 2: Effect 3 (maybe rotary)
Switch 3: Effect 4 (maybe drive pedal) --> Hold access Layout 3
Expression Pedal: wah

Layout 3:
Switch 1: Scene 5 / Scene 6 --> Hold access Layout 1
Switch 2: Effect 5 (maybe rythmic delay) --> Hold access Layout 2
Switch 3: taptempo
Expression Pedal: Something else

Then the layouts would essentially be like presets.
Try it out. IMHO, a huge benefit of using a mutifx is avoiding tapdancing so I try to have a presets boiled down to minimal switches necessary to get through a song and change presets between if needed, but to each their own.

@Will Chen
I absolutely agree with you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around an easy and flexible solution.
I'll try these posibilities.

In the meantime another question that is kind of related. Please tell me if it would be better to open another thread.
So for my rig as I mentioned I use a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro and the GCX audio switcher.

I know I could just use the Ground Control via MIDI. But before I dive into MIDI I want to try out an easier solution.
The GCX can switch amp channels. I was wondering if I could use it like i would external footswitches to have 4 functions accessible.
Has anybody tried that?

As others have said, programming the switches to via tap and tap/hold really gives you 9 foot switches (6 of them virtual).

When it comes to gain and controlling how clean or dirty… it’s best to shift your mindset from a pedalboard to the virtual world.

There’s lots of ways to add gain without using a drive pedal taking up a block:

1) input boost
2) input trim
3) drive/Od control on the amp
4) master volume
5) utilize amp channel A-D if you want to switch amps even
6) assign gain control to an expression pedal

#1-5 can be adjusted by programming parameters using scenes. I’m not sure I would have a preset using 8 scenes with the fm3 though…that’s a lot to keep track of. I’ve done presets with 4 or 5 though.

#6 is often overlooked and can be really effective in the moment as you can tweak it on the fly.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I absolutely agree with you. I'm still trying to wrap my head around an easy and flexible solution.
I'll try these posibilities.

Well...if I'm being honest it feels like you're choosing flexibility over ease. Seriously...with the FM3 trying to have 1 preset do it all is spitting in the wind. Best to keep things focused and tight IMHO, but I'm a guy that doesn't use a ton of different amp models and outside some informal jamming don't really gig anymore.

Thanks again for all the input. I guess at this point I'm still shying away from starting my rig design in the FM3 from scratch and instead am trying to translate what I have onto a new hardware.
There are a few reason I would want as much as possible in one single preset.
1. It's the closest you can get to a real life rig.
2. The FM3 doesn't have global blocks and batch editing is only available via FM3 EDIT

These things that I adjust, depending on the venue:
  • Solo Volume --> IRL an EQ pedal in my looper. I leave the EQ flat and only adjust Volume
  • Amp EQ (slight changes)
  • Reverb amount --> built in my wet amp
  • Dry/Wet ratio --> master volume of my wet / dry amp

So these are like 7 parameters that should stay the way they are through all presets.
If I use different presets then I'd have to go through all of them and make the changes, which is far from ideal.

There's also another thing I haven't found a solution for yet:
IRL I use a Source Audio EQ1 at the start of the chain to level out my different guitars. In the FM3 one EQ block with 4 scenes covers this. But I need this block also to stay in the current channel, no matter which scene is selected.
Is it possible to tell a block to ignore scene changes?

No offense, but why are you asking here instead of trying it on the FM3? None of us can tell you what will work best for you. Your switching scheme would be confusing for me to navigate live, I always try to minimize complex switching, but if you can handle it go for it. That said...

1. It's the closest you can get to a real life rig.
2. The FM3 doesn't have global blocks and batch editing is only available via FM3 EDIT

These things that I adjust, depending on the venue:
  • Solo Volume --> IRL an EQ pedal in my looper. I leave the EQ flat and only adjust Volume
  • Amp EQ (slight changes)
  • Reverb amount --> built in my wet amp
  • Dry/Wet ratio --> master volume of my wet / dry amp

1. "Real world"...meh, again for me a huge benefit of FM3 and really any modeler is to surpass the limitations of real world rigs.
2. Regarding the rest:
  • Solo volume: Set that up as a null EQ boost or an external expression pedal. Once you've worked out the relative levels in rehearsal, it is unlikely you would need more volume just for solos, you likely need to turn up everything using the FM3's volume.
  • Amp EQ - For on the fly adjusts to a stage/room, use the global EQ, that's what it's for.
  • Reverb Amount - There is global Reverb Mix.
  • Dry/Wet - There is global Effects Mix (I've never personally used this one, but I think it would do what you're seeking).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom