Help selecting a controller

Blueser

I need a midi footswitch. I don't gig, but I do host jams in my home studio, and do go to other jams occasionally.

I was thinking that the Rocktron Midi Mate would probably do the job, as I really only need 4 or so presets, and 4 other IA's. I was wondering if it is durable enough to take the use that I will be giving it in the description that I provided. Sweetwater has them for $159 which is the cheapest I have seen them. I also considered the Ground Control Pro, which is more than twice the price, and I am not sure whether it is overkill for what I am doing. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
B

GuitarDojo said:
I used the midmate long ago. It will be PERFECT for what you want to do. Very durable too!

Thanks. I ordered the 7 pin Rocktron cable to leverage the phantom power option. Does the the Mid Mate come with a power supply which is directly compatible with the phantom port on the back of the Axe FX, or do I need some sort of adapter? I would hate to find that out after all my toys are delivered. :lol:

Also, one other question. Can I select more than one bank of presets with the Midi Mate, so that I can have a second set of presets and IA's on another bank?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Blueser said:
Also, one other question. Can I select more than one bank of presets with the Midi Mate, so that I can have a second set of presets and IA's on another bank?

My memory says: only global IA. :(

I use it live in a 60-song band, and I use about 5-6 preset+IA. :)
It's up to you.
You can program the AXEFX on a patch by patch bases, if you need a particular fx engaged or modded by IA in a preset...
I was used to this approach, but the "global" aproach of the Axefx is faster and clever. Try it. :cool:

Smilzo said:
Blueser said:

My memory says: only global IA. :(

I use it live in a 60-song band, and I use about 5-6 preset+IA. :)
It's up to you.
You can program the AXEFX on a patch by patch bases, if you need a particular fx engaged or modded by IA in a preset...
I was used to this approach, but the "global" aproach of the Axefx is faster and clever. Try it. :cool:

So my gut tells me that if you are using it live in a 60 song band, that it will certainly do the job for me, as I have less than half that number of songs in our hack/jam sessions!

I must embarrassingly admit to not understanding the global approach statement. I am a relative newby at this, and have been using the Axe with one preset at a time, so I have some learning to do, but if initially I can set up the following config, I will be somewhat satisfied.

IA's

Delay
Chorus
Vibe
Wah (with connected expression pedal)
Tuner

Presets
Clean Fender
Clean Vox
Bluesy breakup/solo tone (Fender patch with Rat pedal in soft clip mode)
Classic Crunch Distortion (Think Brown sound patch with boost disengaged)
Higher Gain for harder tunes and solo (think Brown sound with boost engaged)

If I can get this set up, I would be thrilled.

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated.

B

Back
Top Bottom