Help! Recording Axe-Fx II into Cubase LE4 (via USB Direct-Mac)

chaos83p

All - I'm new to this forum and about pulled every hair out of my head trying to get my Axe-Fx II set up to record wet + dry guitars in Cubase LE 4 via USB. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here's what I know:
- I'm running Cubase LE4 on an iMac (OSX 10.5.8) and the Axe-Fx II is connected directly to the computer via USB (2.0)
- I/O settings on the Axe-Fx II are:
---> Main Input Source = Analog (In1)
---> USB/Digi Out Source = Output 1
- I've installed the 'Mac OSX [USB] driver' from the Fractal site, I imagine that is the "ASIO Driver" that Cubase keeps clamoring for...
---> Imagine I did that proactively in the past, because upon trying to re-install now (in troubleshooting), I now get an error that there is "nothing to install" during installation steps
- FWIW - I have the latest soft/firmware on the Axe-Fx II, and I have Axe Edit too if that matters.
- I also have a Presonus Firepod (firewire) interface connected. I want to use that for recording other instruments in Cubase and simply use the Axe-Fx 2 to record wet/dry tracks for GUITARS.

Here's the deal. I want to be able to record wet & dry guitar tracks in Cubase (the dry one for re-amping later). I've never done this, but I thought it would be relatively simple...apparently not.

1) How do I set up the connections in Cubase LE4? Can someone walk me through the exact setting I should be seeing / using?
Currently, in Cubase ---> DEVICES --> DEVICE SETUP --> VST AUDIO SYSTEMS and there is a drop-down there where I can choose the Firepod, Build In Audio, or Axe-Fx II Audio "Out" -OR- "In".
---> I can choose "Axe-Fx II Audio OUT", but when I try to select "Axe-Fx II Audio IN" it says "THE ASIO DRIVER AXE-FX II AUDIO IN COULD NOT BE INITIALIZED!"

2) Next, under VST CONNECTIONS....I see Axe-Fx II Audio Out under the 'Outputs' tab, but I'm unable to select anything Axe-Fx II related under the 'Inputs' tab (it says "Not Connected"). Maybe resolving issue # 1 will correct this but one more thing I just thought of. I know nothing about "buses", but should I be creating separate 'buses' in this VST Connections view for both the Presonus Firepod Interface and the Axe-Fx II setup respectively?

Keep in mind, I still want to be able to use the Presonus Firepod to record other instruments. I just want these 2 stupid pieces of crap to work together, so I can finally get to shredding some guitars!!! ;)
Again, greatly appreciate any help here! I thought I was smart, until I got into audio recording. Apparently I need this dumbed down as much as possible! haha

- Will
Beers on me to any south jersey locals who might help! lol

Anybody??? I've literally been scouring the internet for 4 hrs today alone on this...

Maybe pictures would help:

Device Setup-VST Audio System-ASIO Driver-DROPDOWN OPTIONS.jpgASIO DRIVER ERROR MSG - Axe-Fx II Audio In.jpg

That's interesting that there is axe in and out. On mine it just says axe FX, but I'm using Cubase 6. I'll see if I can figure out any solutions later.

Check your cubase project sample rate setting under the 'Project' menu. I believe its found within 'Project Setup'. The Axe-Fx runs at a set 48000kHz (24bit). You'll need to match that in Cubase to get things to gel. Hopefully that helps. I'm not on a mac so that's about as far as I go. Best of luck. Connecting to digital audio - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Try Axe FX out for the input to the DAW, possibly the logic is the Axe FX out, is leaving the Axe FX and then going into the DAW. Try it as the other way around clearly isn't working.

Maybe it's a problem with the driver not being compatible with OS X 10.5. You should be seeing one audio device (Axe Fx II Audio)...not a separate in and out.

Per Matt's post here, http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/58476-mac-osx-driver.html#post731346 the driver requirements are OS X 10.7.4 or later.

Checking out that link now Webb - thanks...Although the Axe-Fx II manual clearly states min system reqs as 10.4 and above - - so that would really be annoying on their part of the driver they released only worked in 10.7+ (since that would require me getting a new OS I believe).

Back
Top Bottom