AlexGuitar

Inspired
I bought Moke's Acoustic Simulator V5 for the FM9 to use as a 12 string preset for a cover band. I made a copy of the preset, changed some of eq and pitch shifting ever so slightly for my taste, but left it mostly the same. It has worked wonderfully for the last few months, and it is probably the single coolest preset I have.

However, as of about an hour ago, I seem to be having a problem: when using the preset, I hear loud crackling and popping noises. When checking the output levels, they appear to be spiking in conjunction with the noises. However, the output clipping light does not blink. Also, notably, the level jumps like 20db when my playing barely changes (suggesting that something externally is causing an issue). Additionally, turning down all of the levels in the preset blocks lowers the output level, but does not stop the popping.

I have tried multiple guitars, multiple cables, turning off various blocks in the preset, changing levels at different points in the preset, etc. in an attempt to isolate the problem. Unfortunately, I've had no luck. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I really hope this can be resolved, as I love this preset!

Hey @AlexGuitar , You should have tagged me, and/or mentioned me in the title, or contacted me through my site. I just happened on this thread.
  1. Have you updated the firmware recently?
  2. Have you tried reloading one of the original versions of the preset?
  3. Have you checked or re-loaded your System/Global/FC settings from your most recent backup?

@Moke - Thank you so much for reaching out. I was going to contact you through your site tomorrow if this post didn't yield useful results.

1. I don't think so, though I believe I am updated to the newest large update, though potentially not to the absolute latest version. It's possible, though unlikely, that it is the update and I just haven't used the preset in awhile so I haven't noticed the issue.
2. I went back to the original version, and it had the issue as well. However, I did not re-import it. I'll try that tomorrow.
3. I scrolled through the settings, and nothing looked obviously amiss. However, I do not have a backup to check things from (I really should do that one of these days). Is there a particular setting or two that you would check?

Well, sometimes updating the firmware can reset the System, Global, and FC settings to default (or something else?). A full backup is very easy to do, and should be done before any update, or whenever you have anything worth protecting.

@Moke - So I should:
a.) Re-import the original preset and see if the issue remains.
b.) Do a more detailed check of global settings.
c.) Ensure the latest firmware is downloaded.

Do you have any other things to try, or any particular settings to check?

I just plugged back in, and everything worked fine - I have absolutely 0 clue what happened, or how it appeared to fix itself, but thank you so much for your attempt to help!

Back
Top Bottom