Help Plz. FM9 Not Booting Up (Solved)

If all they did was replace the DSP then I would be surprised if you have to do anything more than plug it in and boot it up.

Also, unless the DSP was somehow jiggled loose in its socket, it sounds like all the concern about rough handling does not even apply. It sounds like it was just a faulty component. Hey, chips fail!

Just speculation on my part however.

Great turn around and service from Fractal as usual.
It's likely that FAS reinstalled v. 4.01. My current question in a separate post involves what systems backups to reinstall. FAS did say to be watch for power fluctuations, humidity and heat.

It might entirely possible that my bookcase which resides next to my FM9 was putting out too much heat and humidity from my grow lights (shallots, which were harvested today). Will now shut down my grow lights for the summer, and make use of the bookcase space for something else.

If all they did was replace the DSP then I would be surprised if you have to do anything more than plug it in and boot it up.

Also, unless the DSP was somehow jiggled loose in its socket, it sounds like all the concern about rough handling does not even apply. It sounds like it was just a faulty component. Hey, chips fail!

Just speculation on my part however.

Great turn around and service from Fractal as usual.
Word was they replaced the DSP. The caution was avoid power fluctuations, humidity and heat. I can rule out power fluctuation, but not humidity or heat, which might have been the culprit. The heat/humidity source has now been removed, which may extend the new DSP's lifetime.

Agree that one day turnaround/one day return shipping/delivery is way above industry standard. If Fractal Customer Service is reading this, thanks guys, you've vastly improved that which started out as a horrible week to something much milder and easier to live with. I almost shed a tear of joy because of how quickly Fractal responded and took care of my problem.

how do you port the gig bag into your venue (over shoulder, on small handcart, etc)?
ALWAYS on my shoulder or carrying it by the handles.

When I had rolling cases I’d carry them over bumps and down stairs. A handcart invites equipment falling off or shock being transmitted to the items on the bottom UNLESS they have sufficient padding. And, again, that padding depends on the equipment, and what it’s going to be subjected to when being transported.

I’d put my guitars in Gator’s Pro gig bags on a cart before I’d put my amp or FM9 in its gig bag on one, and I’d rather make two trips than pile my gear on a cart. It’s been a conversation here several times about moving my gear… “You should get a cart…” or something similar, but, no thanks, been there and done that and was without gear for months waiting for it to be repaired.

One of my tube combos has wheels because it’s around 40lbs. I never wheel it across parking lots, instead I carry it, and carry it across door thresholds. If I see something that is going to cause it shock I pick it up.

Maybe I’m paranoid or excessive, but then again, knock on wood, I have never had it fail.

You should write a book about this. Or at least a pamphlet. Or maybe a wiki page.
Or maybe just rant about it. Too. :)

I’ve mentioned it before here ‘n there, but it’s one of those things that people don’t want to hear until they learn the hard way, and then they blame the equipment.

Paranoia isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
Or maybe just rant about it. Too. :)

I’ve mentioned it before here ‘n there, but it’s one of those things that people don’t want to hear until they learn the hard way, and then they blame the equipment.

Paranoia isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
Nope. This isn't my first rodeo, so I know a few things about transporting gear. I usually put the guitar and FRFR on the cart. Thanks for clarifying how to consider carrying my Duo 24.

Word was they replaced the DSP. The caution was avoid power fluctuations, humidity and heat. I can rule out power fluctuation, but not humidity or heat, which might have been the culprit. The heat/humidity source has now been removed, which may extend the new DSP's lifetime.

Agree that one day turnaround/one day return shipping/delivery is way above industry standard. If Fractal Customer Service is reading this, thanks guys, you've vastly improved that which started out as a horrible week to something much milder and easier to live with. I almost shed a tear of joy because of how quickly Fractal responded and took care of my problem.
Did your unit fan kicked in in the hot environment?

Did your unit fan kicked in in the hot environment?
When the unit worked prior to needing repair, the fan worked correctly. When the blank white screen appeared, the internal startup fan did not activate. The living room was not an especially hot environment. The FM9 sat beneath a bookcase which contained grow lights with planter trays of shallots within the bookcase. It's likely that the grow lights and humidity from the watered trays may have affected the FM9's performance.

It was OK. Fractal had my back on this, and they received, repaired and return shipped the same day. It'll be a one-day return shipment / delivery window.

Last edited:
I believe you have a custom IEC cable? I'd take a close look at that just to be sure.

When I soldered my IEC cable I stripped the thick outer jacket very carefully ensuring I didn't score any of the smaller wires (I did once and had to do it over). I also spliced the internal wires at different lengths, soldered and heat shrunk each of those, then put heat shrink over the whole area. And it still makes me nervous lol.

I believe you have a custom IEC cable? I'd take a close look at that just to be sure.

When I soldered my IEC cable I stripped the thick outer jacket very carefully ensuring I didn't score any of the smaller wires (I did once and had to do it over). I also spliced the internal wires at different lengths, soldered and heat shrunk each of those, then put heat shrink over the whole area. And it still makes me nervous lol.
Yes. I personally checked the continuity with a multimeter regards the spliced IEC cable. My guitar tech friend did the splice/crimp/heat shrink work. His smaller shrink wrap work was fine. The larger outer wire shrink wrap melted through, so we simply wrapped the affected area cable in electrical tape.

I'll check the continuity again before reinstalling the FM9 (scheduled for delivery later today).

I hear you regards how nervous you felt before connecting your device. I felt likewise, but asked my tech friend if the multimeter could verify good/bad connection or not.

He reassured me, saying, "Ah, piece of cake. Just check each of the 3 IEC connections. You may need to find a thin wire for the female IEC plug. Each will register with the multimeter tone sounding. If the tone doesn't sound, then no continuity regards that particular IEC connection."

EDIT: Good news. Just checked with the multimeter again and "helping hands" magnifier/alligator clips. Continuity is still good. One possible issue off the table. Nothing like going over details with a fine comb.

Last edited:
Sigh. UPS delivery scheduled for today has not advanced beyond Friday's notification for Saturday delivery. (Translation: Monday delivery).
Must exercise patience...ergh...

Thats because UPS sux - FEDEX Rules - hang in there
No, I don't judge either as good or bad; it's more likely that UPS is letting the package sit in the previous facility today and it will move again Sunday to the final delivery facility for Monday. FedEx has done the same thing with weekend deliveries, so I'm not surprised.

Case in point, a separate FedEx shipment was ordered Wednesday 05/31 from Indiana, but won't be delivered until this Wednesday 06/07. Home or Ground Delivery takes an extra day or 2.

I was just glad that USPS Priority delivered my FM9 to NH for repair in less than 2 days. And that FAS repaired and return shipped in less than 1 day.

They say that patience is a virtue. Tell that to the atheist stuck behind a car at a green light whose bumper sticker reads, "Honk if You Love Jesus." ;)

True but I've been waiting for an EPS guitar for over a week - in the states and if it was Fedex it would have been here by now

At my place of employment - huge world wide company - always used Fedex - never let me down - they switched to UPS - well that didnt last long - back to Fedex

Not a fan - ok back on topic

True but I've been waiting for an EPS guitar for over a week - in the states and if it was Fedex it would have been here by now

At my place of employment - huge world wide company - always used Fedex - never let me down - they switched to UPS - well that didnt last long - back to Fedex

Not a fan - ok back on topic
Ah, yeah, I hear that. This is why it's called "the blues."

Thanks not a huge fan of EMG's - if I pull them it will be Seymour Duncans nickel covered jazz (Slash) of course hold on to EMG's if I ever sell it due to this being a rare guitar :)

Used to own a limited edition once, sold it foolishly at someone else's advice...this one...

fimAyX6.jpg

Yes. I personally checked the continuity with a multimeter regards the spliced IEC cable. My guitar tech friend did the splice/crimp/heat shrink work. His smaller shrink wrap work was fine. The larger outer wire shrink wrap melted through, so we simply wrapped the affected area cable in electrical tape.

I'll check the continuity again before reinstalling the FM9 (scheduled for delivery later today).

I hear you regards how nervous you felt before connecting your device. I felt likewise, but asked my tech friend if the multimeter could verify good/bad connection or not.

He reassured me, saying, "Ah, piece of cake. Just check each of the 3 IEC connections. You may need to find a thin wire for the female IEC plug. Each will register with the multimeter tone sounding. If the tone doesn't sound, then no continuity regards that particular IEC connection."

EDIT: Good news. Just checked with the multimeter again and "helping hands" magnifier/alligator clips. Continuity is still good. One possible issue off the table. Nothing like going over details with a fine comb.
What do you mean the outer heat shrink "melted through?" Without any other context, that's a little concerning.

When you do a continuity check, do so while checking each pin and wiggling the cable a bit to make sure continuity remains solid and, probably more importantly, ensuring you don't get any continuity when you're not supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom